Saving ringtones to phone instead of card?

Last Updated:

1. grrgoyl

grrgoyl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I tell you, I love this phone but I hate it. Compared to a Windows Mobile device where everything is as simple as dragging and dropping into folders, this phone gives me such headaches with its overly simplistic (and limited) processes.

Thanks to all the helpful threads on making your own mp3 ringtone, I've got a kick-ass sampling from The Church's "Under the Milky Way" (you know the part. The synth bagpipe bridge). BUT I can only save it to the storage card. Which isn't a problem except until I get some spare cash, I can't quite swing a 16gb yet. Lots of little 512mb (don't laugh!) cards that I swap frequently (and I'd like a little sit-down with the person who designed the card slot cover to only be opened by gerbil paws). Is there a way to save my custom ringtone directly to the phone? Or will I have to stick it on every card until that glorious payday when I can get a 16gb?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

Advertisement
  2. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

First off at the least you will need root access, As the 4 folders that hold audio files files only have R/W priviledges for the Owner (that owner being Root) ....

Next you will have to figure out how to set your self as owner ... to be able to add any files to those folders .... I tried and Failed ... but i admit that my linux skills are very beginner...

In addition you have to weigh the benefits of have the sounds in phone space as opposed to the sdcard .... Sound files can quickly eat memory and you can shoot yourself in the foot and severly limit your phone's memory and that can reduce the OS swap space and severly slow the machine's speed ...(not any fun)

3. grrgoyl

grrgoyl Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I haven't rooted so you lost me pretty much after "access".... but it's a good point you make about taking up space on the phone. Guess I'll just shoot for that 16gb. Many thanks :)

4. justjimjpc

I put 10 or 11 album/CDs of music on my 16GB sdcard and I recall it taking more than 7GB of space ...

5. drbabyboy15

drbabyboy15 Member

Is there anyway fellow friends that I can put a song from my sd card as a ringtone to a certain contact

6. Valikie22

Valikie22 New Member

7. justjimjpc

Get the app Ringdroid ... and you can select any part of a file and save it as a ringtone ..

8. Carl C

Carl C Well-Known Member

On my HTC Magic {same as MyTouch} you go too :

Download a Free app called Rings Extended First and then Follow the Below instructions

Contacts -> Select the contact you want -> Press the Menu Button -> Edit -> Scroll down To "Ringtone" -> Click it and select a Ring Tone! -> done

Carl C :D