Saving to SD CardSupport

Last Updated:

1. opplife

opplife Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have a new htc desire 2.1 android ( until update release )

would it be correct that all marketplace apps and games are automatically saved to the internal phone storage?

can they be saved to the sd card? as I have 8gig card and since getting the phone have only downloaded 6 apps and have now just 103mb left of the 576mb ( im gathering pre-installed apps that come on the phone are taking up the majority of space

anyway, what can be saved to the SD card? ringtones?, mp3s? and at the time of download can you specify or is a setting on the phone?

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

To be honest, of the internal memory, you only get to use just under 150MB for apps (or less depending on the operating system.

on 2.2, if the developer has written the option into the application, you can move it to your SD card. Some of it stays and some of it will always be installed on the internal memory.

If you run a rooted phone, you can use something called Apps2SD+ which will force all apps (on any version of android) to install on the SD card. This actually moves more of the app to the SD card than android 2.2.

The problem there is you have to root the phone, which can sometimes be a trial if you don't know what you are doing.

opplife likes this.
  3. opplife

Hey dan thanks for the info, this is all still new to me. Yep i would have thought they would provide that option, strange them only given the 1 option of saving apps and games to the internal.

Yeah i think your right about the 150mb as when i first turned it on that was about all that was there, so i gather the os is taking up the rest of the htc internal memory.

So are photos saved to the internal memory aswell? and I guess Mp3s can be stored on the sd card right?

4. I-desire

I-desire Well-Known Member

Please please please find a way of doing this as it will throw the desire miles in front of the i-phone. The only thing the i-phone boasts over the desire atm imo is the inbuilt memory!!!

5. SUroot

Photos are saved to the SD card, in the standard digital camera folder called DCIM. I believe email data is also stored on the SD card. Before I rooted, I used to back up my apps with Astro. Then uninstalled the ones I didnt need. I could always restore (well re-install) from my astro backups.

The only problem there is, often it is like a fresh install so data is not often retained.

Hope this helps.

Also, I believe there are apps on the market (someone will need to jump in and give you the names) that will help force apps to SD card, but I'm not sure if this works in 2.1

6. opplife

I have astro. So are you saying, install the app normally then back it up to the sd card, then go back to the marketplace downloads and uninstall it and it will still work straight off the sd card?

7. SUroot

No, unfortunately not. Basically you uninstall if from your phone and if its an app you need to use, reinstall it. Just saves space by chopping and changing apps. Whats the advantage? Not much, but at least you dont have to search teh market aand download it again to install. just install from sd card instead.