• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I didn't find the buttons cheap feeling at all, although I'm not a fan of hardware buttons.

The dummy phone buttons mentioned are unrepresentative. I saw the dummies at verizon last week. I for one like them a lot and have a solid feel without being hard to push. The capacitive buttons end up getting touched far too often by mistake for me.

Upvote 0
1. I really can't believe when people say X is pretty, it really isn't and not meant to be either (although beauty is VERY subjective). I would say it's very industrial or raw looking which is not that much of a problem. The physical buttons actually feel better than they look although making them to look more like touch pro 2 would have been nice ,round and little more color)
Google Image Result for http://www.unwiredview.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Verizon-HTC-Touch-Pro2-official.jpg
2.Blur junk is annoying and social networking is overated; would be nice if removable.
3.I say this in every post but all android phones should come Vanilla with UI being OPTIONAL.

Upvote 0
some evo owners can be a wee bit touchy

Not sure how that helps the discussion except to incite some sort of reaction. In which you did. It's almost as if you try to bring the attention to yourself.

Anyways, wish I could hold the X without that thing stuck on its back at Verizon stores to get a proper feel for it. I've held a dummy Evo and it felt pretty good. I am afraid that the thin factor of the X may feel uncomfortable in my hand though. As far as capacitive buttons vs. physical keys, i'm torn cuz I can see myself touching the capacitive buttons by accident and ruining whatever I was doing at the time but also the capacitive buttons look much nicer. The physical keys are more functional but not as nice looking or feeling.

Upvote 0
Whoever moved this thread from the Evo forum to the X forum is probably having a huge laugh about now.

lol, I had to scroll to the top to make sure I didnt hit the wrong section by mistake...

In case anyone's interested, this is new:

Ars reviews the Motorola Droid X

His battery conclusion is wrong (but I think forgivable in context - sorta) and I think he spent too much time ragging on the camera - but otherwise, informative for me, as it seemed otherwise fair (and I've not held one).

What I found particularly interesting was that instead of calling out the use of the OMAp 3640 as so many others have, it calls out a 3630-1000 (the 3630 is normally a 720 MHz chip, but this sub-species is at 1 GHz).

I haven't figured out what possible difference could exist between a 3630-1000 and a 3640...

I'm assuming T.I did a revision of the 3630. I heard from folks on the net the 3630 handles memory better than the 3640, so that may be why it was used and revised?

Upvote 0
I'm assuming T.I did a revision of the 3630. I heard from folks on the net the 3630 handles memory better than the 3640, so that may be why it was used and revised?

I combed TI and can find nothing to support that conclusion.

While I won't say never and therefore anything's possible - I think it's more likely just a matter of manufacturing yield.

If you look at the history of CPU marketing, two standard practices tend to emerge:
  1. sorting chips by speed capability and stamping them as different parts or different revisions of the same parts
  2. building only one flagship-type cpu and actually cutting traces to degrade performance in order to get the next model down

I'd be willing to bet a whole dollar of real money that the "3630-1000" (if there is such a thing, really we only have rumors on that) is just a cherry-picked model, ala point 1.

I'd NOT be willing to believe that the 3630 is a crippled 3640 - and that if there is any really internal efficiency to be gained, it would go to the 3640 and the higher-speed 3630 was selected merely for better price - or availability at this time.

Like most everything else I've found on the phone blogosphere, I'd bet another real dollar that there's more fantasy than fact in any of the OMAP3 speculations.

Personally - if I were to guess anything, it would be that OMAP4 would be next year's big thing for the high-end phones and OMAP3 would be relegated to the cheaper ones - same for the Snapdragon 8x50 vs. the 8672. That's just a guess and an opinion, however.

Upvote 0
had to make sure this was the droid x forum and not the evo forum as to not have any dumb debates

personally i prefer the taller/thinner build of the X vs the kind thicker/shorter build of the EVO

it feels really good in my hand when i am holding it

although the evo wasn't bad but i'm sorry the EVO is HUGE

X seems bigger to me just looking and holding it, and not as comfy due to the thinness and squared off edges. I guess if you are a woman with smaller hands the width of the EVO might be more of an issue. I'd rather it be shorter so I can more easily reach the top of the screen with my thumb one-handed.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Well with that kind of reaction, she isn't far from the mark. Also, don't complain about something when you go and do the exact same thing with drawing attention to yourself.

Not sure how anything you said really makes much sense. My response was to point out that the remark wasn't needed in a thread where I haven't seen any Evo owners being "touchy". In fact, it showed an X owner to be the one. And when an unwarranted remark is said, to me it just seems like they're looking for an argument or attention. Which can only lead to something negative.

But enough about that, let's keep the thread on track.

Upvote 0
I'd be willing to bet a whole dollar of real money that the "3630-1000" (if there is such a thing, really we only have rumors on that) is just a cherry-picked model, ala point 1.

This could be a real possibility. I forgot about cpu binning.....

Personally - if I were to guess anything, it would be that OMAP4 would be next year's big thing for the high-end phones and OMAP3 would be relegated to the cheaper ones - same for the Snapdragon 8x50 vs. the 8672. That's just a guess and an opinion, however.

I believe that too and I would hope so for the OMAP, the Snapdragon, and the Hummingbird. :)

The next wave of phones should be very hard to choose from. It will probably finally come down to which phone has the best calling features: reception, call quality, etc. Hey, thats a novel idea. Get a phone thats actually a better phone...lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones