• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SBF & Bootloader versions...?

D

Deleted User

When all of the leaks were kicking around, I installed the leaked 2.2. I used the 2.1 SBF to restore the phone a couple times during my playing around with various ROMs.

When the full 2.2 SBF rolled around, I used that to upgrade to 2.2 rather than accepting the OTA, partly because it was easier to do that than it was to roll back the leaked 2.2, then accept the OTA.

However, it looks like, during this process, my bootloader never changed. I'm still at 30.01. Intuitively, I guess this makes sense - you can't update the bootloader from within the bootloader. However, there have been a lot of questions surrounding the new 2.2.1, bricked phones, and bootloader versions.

I know the theory is that it's just from wiping data but nonetheless, I'm wondering what my options are or if I need to worry about it at all? Can I SBF back to 2.1 and accept the OTA to get a recent bootloader, since I still have the 30.01 bootloader version? I guess there's little harm in trying since I could always SBF back to 2.2, but I'm just wondering if I'm asking for trouble.

Anyone else see this issue?

I thought someone posted up not to SBF back to 2.1 because it bricks the device. maybe I'm mistaken but I I wonder if it even notices. There has to be a way to update the bootloader without going all the way back. sort of like updating the BIOS on your computer, you go in write new files, reboot. but you have to have the permission to write those files.

Wonder if a different 2.2 sbf would update your boot loader. Curious to see how this one works out.

Upvote 0
Where do I find out what bootloader version I have?

turn the phone off, hold camera button and volume down while pressing the power button.
that takes you to the bootloader

edit: hold those three buttons till your screen flashes for a sec then let go. and to get back out of it just hold the power button down again and it turns back off

Reactions: Airmaxx23
Upvote 0
I tried and bricked the phone. I think the bootloader gets updated but the version number, somehow, didn't change.

What do you mean by "bricked"? Like, permanently bricked, send back to VZW?

AFAIK, it's virtually impossible to brick the phone, and since I have both SBF files, I'm thinking I should be okay in either case - i.e. even if it rejects my 2.1 SBF, I can throw the 2.2 SBF on there...

Upvote 0
if I remember right it was the bootloaders keys that changed that prevented you from going back using the 2.1 SBF, so if he still has 30.01 bootloader using the 2.1 SBF should still be ok... BUT I could be completely wrong about that... it was just my understanding of the situation. I never used the 2.2 SBF to get to 2.2....

This is what I was remembering. If you go from 2.2OTA to 2.1 sbf it pops the eFuse IIRC.

has anyone gotten an 2.2 update file is the the OTA update batch? seems like that should work for you.

Fab, Beesley or Chevy would know far more about this than I. Have you tried PM'ing them directly or over on XDA?

Upvote 0
Yeah the bootloader/sbf thing is really confusing. I have a 30.04 bootloader on my replacement X and can use the 2.3.15 SBF on it, but with the new leak that also comes with 30.04 bootloader using the 2.3.15 SBF will brick it. I'm not sure if it's the kernel difference or if there's multiple versions of the same bootloader or what...

Upvote 0
Yeah the bootloader/sbf thing is really confusing. I have a 30.04 bootloader on my replacement X and can use the 2.3.15 SBF on it, but with the new leak that also comes with 30.04 bootloader using the 2.3.15 SBF will brick it. I'm not sure if it's the kernel difference or if there's multiple versions of the same bootloader or what...

2.3.15 is the froyo sbf, which should work on any phone, unless you've taken the leaked .320. it's the eclair sbf that doesn't work once you've taken the froyo ota and willb rick you.

Upvote 0
Bump.

Okay, so here's the deal:

I never installed the OTA update to 2.2. I just threw the 2.3.15 SBF onto my phone and did it that way.

My bootloader version, after the 2.3.15 SBF, remained at 30.01 (which is the stock version that comes with the phone).

Despite my bootloader version remaining the same, you CANNOT SBF back to 2.1 - the SBF will succeed, but you will be stuck in the bootloader with an error. I verified this.

You can, however, put the 2.3.15 SBF back on when it's stuck in the bootloader error.

You CAN install the leaked 2.3.320 SBF from Team Black Hat, despite the bootloader showing 30.01.

After installing the 2.3.320 SBF, the bootloader STILL says 30.01, but CANNOT revert to the 2.3.15 SBF.

This supports the theory above that something is changing in the bootloader despite the versions remaining the same. That signature key that Motorola keeps changing is, in fact, changing on the phone when you SBF even though the bootloader version doesn't update to reflect it.

Upvote 0
I was afraid of that. Where do you stand now? Did you work a method to get the new update, or an updated Bootloader?

Well, you can always go ahead, so I just put the 2.3.320 SBF onto it and it worked. Kinda wish I didn't because I could have run the OTA and gotten official bootloader version increments but oh well.

Each SBF is updating the bootloader, it's just not incrementing the version number.

So, right now I am on the most recent bootloader. Can't go back to 2.2 but the 2.3.320 SBF works fine.

Does anyone know right now if the new OTA to .340 updates the Boot Loader?

Since TBH announced we could no longer go backwards after we drop the 2.3.320 SBF, it has to have updated the bootloader, otherwise we'd be able to go backward.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones