• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Scariest Book/Movie You Ever Read/Saw

I'm going to go for Infected by Scott Sigler....
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2331954.Infected

(I still shudder if anyone says "Chicken Scissors"
*winces* It doesn't have animal cruelty in it, does it? I'm a HUGE horror fan and can handle the worst gore and guts you can imagine...as long as it's not animals. Can't deal with that, bro.

EDIT: Okay I was brave and read the description anyway. It's not about animal cruelty. Sounds really disgusting and horrific though. Will be downloading it to my Nook. :D Thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm old school. I prefer psychological horror, emotional horror, intellectual horror to gore and or startle (jump in your seat) kind of horror. I never read many books like that I prefer fantasy sci-fi. But for movies ...
John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness
The original Nightmare on Elm Street
The Exorcist
Here's one book and movie - Pet Semetary

Stuff that's unsettling, that makes you question your faith, that exists just outside that which is accepted.

Upvote 0
I'm old school. I prefer psychological horror, emotional horror, intellectual horror to gore and or startle (jump in your seat) kind of horror. I never read many books like that I prefer fantasy sci-fi. But for movies ...
John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness
The original Nightmare on Elm Street
The Exorcist
Here's one book and movie - Pet Semetary

Stuff that's unsettling, that makes you question your faith, that exists just outside that which is accepted.
I LOOOOVE that stuff! I guess I'm old school too. Though I DID like the "Saw" series a lot. I thought it was really well written and a bit of a genius plot with all the psychological twists and turns. To me, a well-written story is more important than just a crazy, cold-hearted, blood-curdling, slice 'em dice 'em story. Although I am not against that as long as it's not cheesy. :D

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
I love me some Stephen King. Some of my favorites, in no particular order, are 'Duma Key', 'Pet Sematary', 'Thinner', 'Revival'...the list goes on and on but those come to mind quickly. That man can write a book, that's for darn sure.

Movies I enjoy for suspense/horror are 'Halloween' and 'Alien' type things. Those were the first ones that really "got me". Gore is fun but suspense wins. I like good vs. evil stuff too, like 'Carnivale' (just watched on Netflix, old though).

Upvote 0
I love me some Stephen King. Some of my favorites, in no particular order, are 'Duma Key', 'Pet Sematary', 'Thinner', 'Revival'...the list goes on and on but those come to mind quickly. That man can write a book, that's for darn sure.

Movies I enjoy for suspense/horror are 'Halloween' and 'Alien' type things. Those were the first ones that really "got me". Gore is fun but suspense wins. I like good vs. evil stuff too, like 'Carnivale' (just watched on Netflix, old though).
If I could like this post 10 times I would.... We have the same taste! Just finished Joyland by Mr. King. Have you read that one?

Reactions: Clementine_3
Upvote 0
Carrie but not because the movie was that scary....

What happened was I made all my friends stay for the credits and after the credits we noticed a man sitting in the audience that looked like one of those EC Comics horror host. We where laughing and joking that it was a dummy and who do "they" think they're kidding... When it faced us and moved! Screams and flight feet resulted. We never did find out what that was about.

Upvote 0
I LOVED "Cell" by Stephen King!!!

That was freaking scary and INGENIOUS.

It was about how people get Zombiefied by their cellphones with a creepy old modem sound I think it was before dial up or 56k modem but basically the screeching sound turns people into mindless zombies

The evil mastermind that make or create the cellular virus I never explained s you have a wonder where or how it came about!

AWESOME movie , watch it the other day - absolutely awesome such a great movie.

So the world goes mad and if you even dare answer to cellphone it will turn up too into a mindless Zombie that only listens to the commands but never explains who.

One of of best movies I have ever seen I loved it it.

Sorry this phone is hard to type on argh.

Reactions: Phoenix777
Upvote 0
I LOVED "Cell" by Stephen King!!!

That was freaking scary and INGENIOUS.

It was about how people get Zombiefied by their cellphones with a creepy old modem sound I think it was before dial up or 56k modem but basically the screeching sound turns people into mindless zombies

The evil mastermind that make or create the cellular virus I never explained s you have a wonder where or how it came about!

AWESOME movie , watch it the other day - absolutely awesome such a great movie.

So the world goes mad and if you even dare answer to cellphone it will turn up too into a mindless Zombie that only listens to the commands but never explains who.

One of of best movies I have ever seen I loved it it.

Sorry this phone is hard to type on argh.
Omg yes I remember Cell!
The scariest so far that I saw was the "Nightmare on Elm Street" and the " The Exorcist".
The scariest so far that I saw was the "Nightmare on Elm Street" and the " The Exorcist".
Oh yeah those were great. I remember watching them in the 80s and being completely spooked! Actually Exorcist is one of the few films that I thought the 3rd one was better than the original. OK well maybe not better but just as good. I'm sorry but that old lady crawling on the ceiling reallyyyyy creeped me out lol

Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
Haven't seen it since childhood, but recall John Carpenter remake of "The Thing" really scary. Have vague sense the special effects might not hold up so well years later, but the psychological tension always pretty intense.
Has many of the same elements as "Alien"; Confined in a cramped environment, no chance of survival in the hostile environment outside the cage; And you are sharing the room with the beast, unsure who you can trust. Takes us directly to another (already mentioned) favorite, "The Shining".

Perhaps stating the obvious, but:
Had an English professor I positively adored; He drove home the point:
The monster is never some "other thing".
"Monster" and "demonstrate" come from the very same root word, that's how the word "monster" came into existence in the first place. Looking at the monster, is like looking into a mirror, and you are to be very uncomfortable because the monster is demonstrating to you.........The worst elements in you, (and all humanity); Living side by side (trapped in the same cage) with all of the best, most heroic elements in you.

(Among other examples) of the early genre, Jekyll and Hyde. (1886)

The novella is frequently interpreted as an examination of the duality of human nature, usually expressed as an inner struggle between good and evil, (with variations) such as human versus animal, civilization versus barbarism sometimes substituted. The main thrust being that of an essential inner struggle between the one and other, and that the failure to accept this tension results in evil, barbarity, or animal violence being projected onto others. In Freudian theory: The thoughts and desires banished to the unconscious mind, motivate the behavior of the conscious mind.

It's getting late.....Sleep well, everyone.o_O:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Haven't seen it since childhood, but recall John Carpenter remake of "The Thing" really scary. Have vague sense the special effects might not hold up so well years later, but the psychological tension always pretty intense.
Has many of the same elements as "Alien"; Confined in a cramped environment, no chance of survival in the hostile environment outside the cage; And you are sharing the room with the beast, unsure who you can trust. Takes us directly to another (already mentioned) favorite, "The Shining".

Yes! Carpenter's remake of The Thing was very good. A constant sense of tension and suspense throughout the film. I still find it extremely creepy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones