• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Scary moment!

brocja01

Nov 22, 2009
So I have Froyo installed, got everything backed up, and I'm ready to start playing with kernels (I don't like the 800 that comes with it, battery hog). So, I go and download one of jdflg LV Kernels. Back up my current config (thank the lord) and flash the new kernel. I was sitting at about 20 % battery, but I figured, quick flash and then plug it in, I tend to flash with the power plugged in anyways. Flash the kernel and reboot, battery comes up with a red slash through it, and the phone won't charge!!!!!

I'm like, "This ain't good!" Do a couple more reboots, try USB vs power adapter and nothing. I'm afraid to roll back because my battery is so low, and it doesn't seem to charge with this Kernel, so the phone boots (because of low battery) and then doesn't turn back on. I happen to notice that the little charging light is on, so I decide to leave it like that for 30 minutes. Come back 30 minutes later, start the phone back up, same thing. SH!T is what I say and decide, I have to roll back, luckily I had enough battery to roll back to my backup and now the phone is charging away.

Sooooo, moral of the store, don't flash unless you battery is very full, AND always and I mean ALWAYS take a backup first! :)

So I have Froyo installed, got everything backed up, and I'm ready to start playing with kernels (I don't like the 800 that comes with it, battery hog). So, I go and download one of jdflg LV Kernels. Back up my current config (thank the lord) and flash the new kernel. I was sitting at about 20 % battery, but I figured, quick flash and then plug it in, I tend to flash with the power plugged in anyways. Flash the kernel and reboot, battery comes up with a red slash through it, and the phone won't charge!!!!!

I'm like, "This ain't good!" Do a couple more reboots, try USB vs power adapter and nothing. I'm afraid to roll back because my battery is so low, and it doesn't seem to charge with this Kernel, so the phone boots (because of low battery) and then doesn't turn back on. I happen to notice that the little charging light is on, so I decide to leave it like that for 30 minutes. Come back 30 minutes later, start the phone back up, same thing. SH!T is what I say and decide, I have to roll back, luckily I had enough battery to roll back to my backup and now the phone is charging away.

Sooooo, moral of the store, don't flash unless you battery is very full, AND always and I mean ALWAYS take a backup first! :)

I agree with the moral of your story...but I don't think that was your problem.

When your battery is fully charged...flash that kernel again. I bet the same exact thing happens.

I tried the jdflg kernels and the 800MHz kernel would boot but all of the rest of his kernels would cause my red light to come on when I booted up, and I'd get a popup telling me to charge my phone (which was fully charged at the time) and then the phone would reboot. Your battery most likely wasn't the issue...the kernel was. I reverted back to the kernel I had been using and everything was fine and my battery showed it's correct state.

Just FYI based on my experiences.

Upvote 0
I agree with the moral of your story...but I don't think that was your problem.

When your battery is fully charged...flash that kernel again. I bet the same exact thing happens.

I tried the jdflg kernels and the 800MHz kernel would boot but all of the rest of his kernels would cause my red light to come on when I booted up, and I'd get a popup telling me to charge my phone (which was fully charged at the time) and then the phone would reboot. Your battery most likely wasn't the issue...the kernel was. I reverted back to the kernel I had been using and everything was fine and my battery showed it's correct state.

Just FYI based on my experiences.

I had that same problem too. My battery was 100% when I tried that jdflg kernel. The minute the phone loaded I got the red light of low power and my phone powered down. Luckily, I had another kernal on my sd so I flashed it to the other kernel and the phone loaded fine with a 100% battery. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones