Scary moment!

Last Updated:

1. brocja01

brocja01 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I have Froyo installed, got everything backed up, and I'm ready to start playing with kernels (I don't like the 800 that comes with it, battery hog). So, I go and download one of jdflg LV Kernels. Back up my current config (thank the lord) and flash the new kernel. I was sitting at about 20 % battery, but I figured, quick flash and then plug it in, I tend to flash with the power plugged in anyways. Flash the kernel and reboot, battery comes up with a red slash through it, and the phone won't charge!!!!!

I'm like, "This ain't good!" Do a couple more reboots, try USB vs power adapter and nothing. I'm afraid to roll back because my battery is so low, and it doesn't seem to charge with this Kernel, so the phone boots (because of low battery) and then doesn't turn back on. I happen to notice that the little charging light is on, so I decide to leave it like that for 30 minutes. Come back 30 minutes later, start the phone back up, same thing. SH!T is what I say and decide, I have to roll back, luckily I had enough battery to roll back to my backup and now the phone is charging away.

Sooooo, moral of the store, don't flash unless you battery is very full, AND always and I mean ALWAYS take a backup first! :)

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Good story! I don't mod my phone at all without 60-80% battery left. And again: ALWAYS make a backup!

Glad you were able to restore it. That had to be a heart-pounding moment!

3. brocja01

Yup, not fun. Going to try another kernel.... when my phone is charged. :)

4. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

I agree with the moral of your story...but I don't think that was your problem.

When your battery is fully charged...flash that kernel again. I bet the same exact thing happens.

I tried the jdflg kernels and the 800MHz kernel would boot but all of the rest of his kernels would cause my red light to come on when I booted up, and I'd get a popup telling me to charge my phone (which was fully charged at the time) and then the phone would reboot. Your battery most likely wasn't the issue...the kernel was. I reverted back to the kernel I had been using and everything was fine and my battery showed it's correct state.

Just FYI based on my experiences.

5. trikotret

trikotret Well-Known Member

I had that same problem too. My battery was 100% when I tried that jdflg kernel. The minute the phone loaded I got the red light of low power and my phone powered down. Luckily, I had another kernal on my sd so I flashed it to the other kernel and the phone loaded fine with a 100% battery. :D

6. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I have had great luck with his newer froyo kernels. The first set of froyo kernels he made were not quite right though

7. Polymira

Polymira Well-Known Member

same here. flashed latest kernel last night and it's working like a dream.

And to the OP - never flash without at least 60% or higher battery (preferably 80)... the droid will not charge unless it's booted and running the os.

8. brocja01

So, which kernels should I download of his then? I have the 1k of the .29 and then the 1k of the .32.

I'm fairly positive that the one I installed was the .29, should I be running the .32?

9. subsynth

subsynth Active Member

yes .32 kernels for FROYO.

Loading a .29 kernel on froyo will give you the red light / battery drain.

10. brocja01

Thats good to know, he should really remove them then from the thread!

11. StingRay

StingRay Well-Known Member

If you go thru ROM Manager to load his kernels, I believe only the newest are available...much easier anyway....

12. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Except he's using confusing naming...some kernels say they are for Froyo, the others all say "For any ROM."

He needs to rename those to "For any 2.1 ROM"...