Schedule of upcoming Android Tablets/pads?

Last Updated:

1. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Most of the threads relating to pads/tablets seem a bit dated and I'm wondering when we will finally start seeing a rush of new devices to come out in competition with the iPad. I had an iPad but it was stolen. Since then, I have missed it somewhat, mainly for the book reading. But having switch from an iPhone to Android device two months ago I can't see myself plunking down another $800 for a device that is tightly controlled by Lord Steve Jobs, sprinkling Apple minions with a feature or two here or there every six months.

So is there a good place in this forum or elsewhere that actively tracks upcoming tablet releases for Android. The Galaxy seems to be the hottest one out there but it's also basically the only one that matches up with the iPad.

Advertisement
  2. alextop30

alextop30 Well-Known Member

The only tablet that is good and runs android very very well is the Galaxy S tablet which as far as I know is on sprint and t-mobile. The only downside is that the screen seems to be a bit smaller than the Ipad.

3. TheGoatLantern

TheGoatLantern Well-Known Member

Two things. All the carriers have the G-Tab as well as wifi only down the road and it may be smaller than the Ipad but it's got better form factor.

4. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the mainstream Android Tablets, then I would say mid-1st Qtr 2011 to early 2nd Qtr. I personally can't wait for the newer tegra 2 tablets. I only say this because it's looking like this processor will be the future of tablets which sets it up well for future updates even past Honeycomb.

I heard Moto and LG will be using that processor.

slbailey1 and TheGoatLantern like this.
  5. gamul1

gamul1 Well-Known Member

Look for the Notion Ink Adam tablet to be released probably in January. It also runs the Tegra 2 chip and has a host of awesome features.

They have a beta web site with some content up, but it has the spec sheet listed.
    Notion Ink Adam

There is some announcement on December 9th or 10th but it is not clear if that will be about the release date, a preorder date, or something else.

xmr405o likes this.
  6. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

xmr405o likes this.
  7. BBOOZE

BBOOZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So is it best to wait for Gingerbread to come out because that's more tablet-focused?

I'd be very interested in those devices when they start coming out.

8. Lancedroid

Lancedroid Active Member

Won't the current hardware adapt just fine when Gingerbread is released for them latter?

9. xmr405o

I can say that this tablet sucks out of the box but XDA made the tablet better ...much much better. I have it and I am happy. I would suggest looking for "refurbs" actually they are customer returns at the Sears Outlet store either online or if you have one near you. They sell way below the original price. People return this device because the out of the box experience sucks but they have no idea what this tablet can do.

here's a few videos

GTab Videos - xda-developers

10. xmr405o

Well, technically it's best to wait for Honeycomb which is the Android version that is optimized for tablets. They won't come out until 2nd Qtr or later but there's a slim chance for 1st qtr. If you can't wait, then I would suggest you invest in a Tegra 2 based tablet. The chances of upgrading to those newer versions of Android is pretty high. Of course this is all my opinion.

+1 on that Notion Ink tab. That's gonna be sweet.

11. xmr405o

Gingerbread maybe but Honeycomb I don't know. I wished info would be released already haha. Right now it's all speculation as to what the minimum requirements would be for those two versions.