• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Scottys noob friendly root guide-start to finish

I installed titanium backup, said I need busybox. I got busybox installer. It says im rooted, however its not allowing me to install busybox.

Do I put it in system/bin or system/xbin?

Also there are a variety of versions. Should I try another as it says busyboxy may not compatible with all devices.

youre making this un-neccessarily hard on yourself ;)

just flashed the superSU linked a few posts up.

what the heck,i still got that window open,here ya go: [16.07.2012] SuperSU v0.94 - xda-developers :D

Upvote 0
youre making this un-neccessarily hard on yourself ;)

just flashed the superSU linked a few posts up.

what the heck,i still got that window open,here ya go: [16.07.2012] SuperSU v0.94 - xda-developers :D
Yep. Today is the first thing ive done anything like this. Total noob learning as I go.

So By flash you mean put it in my sd card and re root with that instead of superuser? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Just looked at the link. Can I just download it from the market?

Upvote 0
Yep. Today is the first thing ive done anything like this. Total noob learning as I go.

So By flash you mean put it in my sd card and re root with that instead of superuser? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Just looked at the link. Can I just download it from the market?

no. all you get from the market is the app,not the matching binary.

download it from the link that says "CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip"(im not going to link it,as when he uploads a new version,the link will die)

rest assured you dont need clockwork,amon will flash it just fine.

-put on root of sd
-launch or boot to recovery
-wipe cache and dalvik cache
-flash CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip
-reboot

no need to reflash the rom,or anything else. just flash superSU :)

Upvote 0
no. all you get from the market is the app,not the matching binary.

download it from the link that says "CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip"(im not going to link it,as when he uploads a new version,the link will die)

rest assured you dont need clockwork,amon will flash it just fine.

-put on root of sd
-launch or boot to recovery
-wipe cache and dalvik cache
-flash CWM-SuperSU-v0.94.zip
-reboot

no need to reflash the rom,or anything else. just flash superSU :)

How do I boot to recovery? Hold power and down volume?

EDIT: Meh, I just redid step 2 and 3. Probably the hard way but it takes like 2 minutes. Hopefully im nnot screwing things up.

Upvote 0
So it's working, but I have one more question.

If I want to use a rom. Do I just replace Supersu with whatever rom I want and repeat steps 2 and 3 like I did to replace superuser with supersu?

yup!

just make sure to launch recovery with fastboot boot when flashing a rom,or restoring a backup.

also when you are installing a rom or a backup,add "wipe data/factory reset" to the list of wipes. :)

Reactions: manbat
Upvote 0
Hi Scotty85, I used your guide a few months ago to unlock, root and flashed a temporary recovery. Great guide, thanks. But I would like to try out the ICS ota update, but my phone never gives me the option to do that. I relocked the phone and it still doesnt ask me about the update. I thought the whole idea of flashing a temporary recovery was so you would be able to take the ota update...thanks

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty85, I used your guide a few months ago to unlock, root and flashed a temporary recovery. Great guide, thanks. But I would like to try out the ICS ota update, but my phone never gives me the option to do that. I relocked the phone and it still doesnt ask me about the update. I thought the whole idea of flashing a temporary recovery was so you would be able to take the ota update...thanks

have you tried looking for a system update from settings?

leaving the stock recovery on the phone will let you install the OTA,but i cant make the OTA available to your phone ;)

it could be that the OTA hasnt been pushed yet to you(i honestly have no idea how that works-if its by region,or some other method),or it could be that if you have made other modifications to your stock rom,you have made enuff to make the stock rom uncegonizable to the updater scripts.

if you have modified your phone,to what extent have you done it? are you stock,or running a custom rom such as clean rom? have you made mods to or deleted any system files other than the vzw/htc bloatware(stocks,city ID,vzw navigator,etc)

i have captured both the OTAPkgs,and will have a way for you to update manually soon,if youd possibly like to try that. i need to roll my phone back to gingerbread again,and test it again with apps and tings delted and maks sure it doesnt have an effect,

Reactions: manbat
Upvote 0
Thanks Scotty85, Maybe it just hasnt been pushed out to my phone. I am just rooted stock, unlocked but now locked and flashed a temporary recovery and super user, thats all. Here are a couple of screen shots, when I manually check for a update, I get "Checking for new software" then it goes away with out giving any information. Then when i click on "Status" I get this screen shot. I will wait it out some more, thanks again for all your hard work for us newbies.
1.jpg

2.jpg

Upvote 0
If I just want to unlock and root to get access to OTG USB flash drive (using stickmount) do I need step 3? What does "install zip from sd card(chose your superuser file)" mean? From just reading it isn't clear. If I go through steps it would probably make sense but I don't want to get stuck!

Edit: I have latest OTA update ICS from a few days ago

Upvote 0
I am currently rooted using stock GB with temporary recovery. I got an update that I have yet to install to prepare for ICS. I basically rooted to freeze bloat ware and get free wifi tether for my iPad when I am in a place with no wifi access.

I have been trying to follow the last couple of threads. Since I have unlocked bootloader already, I do not have to redo step 1 of Scotty's guide. All I will need to do is flash a temporary recovery again and install the new super user zip file listed a few threads back when I get ICS loaded. Is this correct?

Upvote 0
If I just want to unlock and root to get access to OTG USB flash drive (using stickmount) do I need step 3? What does "install zip from sd card(chose your superuser file)" mean? From just reading it isn't clear. If I go through steps it would probably make sense but I don't want to get stuck!

Edit: I have latest OTA update ICS from a few days ago

yes,you need step 3. it is what gives you root access by installing the supersuer binary and app. once you boot amon recovery,you will see those menu options,and it should make sense :)

just make sure you are usiing the superSU superuser for ICS

I have been trying to follow the last couple of threads. Since I have unlocked bootloader already, I do not have to redo step 1 of Scotty's guide. All I will need to do is flash a temporary recovery again and install the new super user zip file listed a few threads back when I get ICS loaded. Is this correct?
yup. that is correct. :)

Reactions: manbat and radworm
Upvote 0
Thanks Scotty. I have rooted Nexus 7 with one click. Galaxy SIII with Verizon amazingly has USB and WIFI tether available stock. Rezound seems a little trickier.

i think it seems overwhelming cause ive written alot of instructions(maybe i should use the show/hide buttons?) :eek:

once you get started,it should flow pretty quickly.

the basic steps are easy,and been around for a long time:
1)unlock
2)install recovery
3)use recovery to install root files.

just holler if you have questions :)

Upvote 0
As an IT guy by trade, I feel I smell of epic fail. I guess maybe not epic since I was able to root, but I can't seem to get the mini ruu to work to save my life. I'm trying to put my phone in a state where it will recieve the OTA update and can't seem to do it. I've been over all the posts and I can't seem to resolve this one on my own, so I'm using one of my lifelines.

Here's my situation. I started with a rezound that had the leaked ICS version on it. From what I've read, this may already spell a bit of doom for me in my quest to unroot to try to get the official OTA. I've followed the mini ruu instructions and get stuck when load into ruu mode. my phone just goes to the black screen with HTC on it and does not respond when I try to flashboot flash the ruu mini.zip file. It errors out telling me it cannot load that file. I've made sure it's in the proper directory, but no love.

Is my only option the full ruu? That's the sense I'm getting from the posts I've read. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my issues.

Upvote 0
Looking for help! Rezound was running Nils GingerSense, then did s-off today, then flashed Nils ICS latest sense, it worked for a while but now getting "insert SIM card error" and then starts to automatically reboot over and over......fyi, my sd card was wiped in the process of s-off.....PLEASE HELP

wiping the sd is part of the s-off process. control bear now backs up your sd card,but it sometimes it may not get properly restored. it is quite adviseable to use a small,cheap,spare sd for the s-off process,leaving your good one safely outside the phone ;)

have you run an ruu? seems the soff process casues the phone some confusion. i would run one of the newer ICS leaks(newest-android police) to get the newest ICS firmware, then with the stock recovery still in place,"clear storage" in hboot.

when that completes,you can reinstall recovery,reinstall business sense. that will fix 4g drops,and possibly other issues,maybe even your no sim prollem.

only other thing i can think of with the sim is to power off and remove it for a few minutes(this is the first thing vzw will have you do). if you still have prollems after clear storage and sim removal,then you prolly need a new sim.

As an IT guy by trade, I feel I smell of epic fail. I guess maybe not epic since I was able to root, but I can't seem to get the mini ruu to work to save my life. I'm trying to put my phone in a state where it will recieve the OTA update and can't seem to do it. I've been over all the posts and I can't seem to resolve this one on my own, so I'm using one of my lifelines.

Here's my situation. I started with a rezound that had the leaked ICS version on it. From what I've read, this may already spell a bit of doom for me in my quest to unroot to try to get the official OTA. I've followed the mini ruu instructions and get stuck when load into ruu mode. my phone just goes to the black screen with HTC on it and does not respond when I try to flashboot flash the ruu mini.zip file. It errors out telling me it cannot load that file. I've made sure it's in the proper directory, but no love.

Is my only option the full ruu? That's the sense I'm getting from the posts I've read. Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on my issues.

yes,your only option is to run the full ruu for ICS,if youre s-on.

if youre on a leak,the mini ruu wont work becasue its incompatible with the firmware,and the full GB ruu wont work becasue you cannot go backwards in firmware(never install leaks on an s-on phone!).

being on the leak,you will not recieve the OTA "naturally"(never install leaks on an s-on phone!).

and if i havent mentioned it,never install leaks on an s-on phone! :p:D

the newest ruu is here: [Exclusive Download] HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich RUU For Final OTA (3.14.605.12)

youll need to rename it PH98IMG,place on your sd card,and flash in hboot

Reactions: jlipps
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones