• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Scrabble app

Bump!

I've been using Words with Friends for around a month. Its often FCing on me and my mate's phone. With it being so unstable I was wondering what are the more stable alternatives from people's personal use? I've just downloaded WordFeud, and I like its interface a lot more (cleaner etc). Having only installed today I can't tell you if its more stable.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I play both Words With Friends and Wordfued (both free in Android Market). Both games let you play with anyone who has the App installed on their phone - friends or strangers.) So far they're both adequate substitutes for the real thing, but game play is different (e.g., more S tiles, more Triple Word/Letter squares on board, etc.). Word With Friends has more "issues" (FC, updates that make me log back in every time they run, infrequent or non-existent notifications), but it's a bit "prettier" to look at. Wordfued is great at sending out turn notifications and seems the more stable game (I have an HTC EVO). Scrabble (the "real deal") is available from EA (try http://us.eamobileclub.com in your phone's browser) but it will cost you $6.99 and I don't know how (or if) it works with other players on other phones.

Upvote 0
Wordsmith seems to work the best for me so far. Words with Friends always says that there is a move to make, and there is nothing to do. The ads after every move are a bit much as well. I have had no issues at all with Wordsmith.

The only reason I keep WWF around is because it works cross-platform. Once I finish these two games though, it is likely gone. So much for beating up on my iphone owning friends.

Upvote 0
so it can be a multiplayer game? How? bluetooth? wifi? or logging on a server online

Both application's "games in progress" are housed on the app's servers - (i.e., you need network or wifi connectivity to play). You set up your account, log in and then they remember your log in (except watch out for updates where you may need to log back in for the next restart of the app.) You'll need a human opponent in each case (you can't play against the game - there's no AI). Both games are strictly one-against-one as well (no three or four player game unfortunately).

Recently my current game (in progress) on Words with Friends seemed to get "lost" (the app kept saying it was searching for it) but it finally showed up after a few days. This hasn't happened on Wordfeud and I've played quite a few games.

Also, Wordfeud seems to be much better (faster) at updating the status of the games (sending notifications when it's your turn).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones