Scrabble-like games

Last Updated: 2012-08-21 10:50:02
  1. Bobulation

Bobulation Active Member

Why haven't there been any scrabble games made yet for android? It seems like even the G1 would be good enough to be able to play them. It's not like it requires a lot.

Advertisement
  2. sh0ebox

sh0ebox Well-Known Member

WordGame is the only thing that I've played that seems any bit close to scrabble, but even so it's not very close at all.

You get 7 tiles to spell words, but you're racing against the clock to spell as many words as you can before time runs out. There's no board or opponents really.

I'm also waiting for a scrabble-like game to come to Android.
  3. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

4. Bobulation

Bobulation Active Member

I already did actually, and they said they weren't planning on doing it at this time, but they might consider it in the future
  5. choccy

choccy Well-Known Member

i've been after Scrabble one for ages, really annoying there isn't one.
  6. Hoople

Hoople Member

There actually IS a Scrabble game; an official version from EA. It's pretty good actually too. It's not in the Android Market but you can download it by going to eamobile.com in the browser.

***HOWEVER***
    EA mobile has the worst customer service ever. I downloaded it several months ago and recently had to do a hard reset and had to reinstall everything. EA Mobile has no way to download previously purchased games and after 3 weeks trying to go through their customer service I've still been unable to restore it. I wouldn't buy this through them and wait until it makes it to the market or some other service like Handmark that allows you to easily redownload previously purchased apps.
  7. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Bump. Who's playing EA scrabble here?

Just picked up an Incredible. Loved playing Words with Friends on my iPod. Really hoping for something similar on my new phone. I'm not that excited to drop $10 on a scrabble game from EA, but might end up doing so if nothing else comes about.

Anyone try the EA version on their Incredible?
  8. myst

myst Active Member

I have EA Scrabble on the Incredible. It works fine. It's actually a lot faster on the Inc than it was on my Eris. If you really like Scrabble, it's probably the best option for you right now.
  9. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Does it have online playing? If I download it do you think I can share the file my wife or do we each have to purchase it?
  10. creativepart

creativepart New Member

Where are you finding this. I went to eamobile and find scrabble for lots of phones but not android. I entered my phone number and it sent me a link to buy games for a BB.

What's up with this?
  11. JediJesus

JediJesus Well-Known Member

I've been playing Scrabble on my Droid and while it is fun there is no online play.
  12. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Then what's the point? Playing the computer? For $10 I'll pass.

Words with Friends needs to step UP!
  13. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

I would not pay $10 - not worth it

but would be cool to play it, hand it to another person and let then play their word, and back and forth. this would be in addition to the computer option.
  14. brykins

Doesn't appear to be by ANY chance of that happening any time soon. Have emailed the developers and they don't have any interest in Android it seems. Can't understand why Google don't help developers like this out and take out the financial risk for them to do it. Guaranteed there will be a lot of people not even looking at Android because games like Words With Friends isn't on it. I know of one person this week who didn't even consider Android when I had to tell her that she'd lose Words With Friends.
  15. polyclef

polyclef Active Member

16. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Online random player match? If so, I'd say that's a pretty decent start. Thanks
  17. polyclef

polyclef Active Member

Right now you email your friends with supported devices and invite them to download the app or play if they already have it.

We're going to be implementing a ranking system, leaderboard, and challenge system over the next few weeks.
  18. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Just downloaded for my incredible. Will report back. Thanks
  19. Lev16

Lev16 Well-Known Member

Just a quick update, my wife and I downloaded to our new incredibles and we're both getting force closes. Sorry, but I don't think it's quite ready yet for release
  20. polyclef

polyclef Active Member

Yeah, we're getting reports of problems from the HTC Desire, too. Looks like a problem with with the HTC Sense UI at this point. Sorry about that. We'll try to push out a workable update for devices running HTC Sense asap.
  21. statnut

statnut Well-Known Member

Looks interesting, but with it not working on the HTC Hero, I can't comment on it. I can tell you that both my wife and I will buy this instantly when it does. Please make it happen soon :D
  22. jkhouw1

jkhouw1 Member

I just wrote a word scramble/jumble game as a pet project and published it to the market place. Its still beta and my first app so be kind. Basically I was curious how hard it would be to create multiplayer games.

At first I built a tcpserver and client in the app and had it go out to a matching server, then the one handset would be switched to server mode, and the second would disconnect from the matching server and connect to that host. Of course this worked perfectly on wifi, but with cell connections, the cell provider's NAT prevents the connection [​IMG] so now I have the matching server handle the communication throughout the life cycle of an online game.

Not scrabble - but does have head to head word competition - both Bluetooth and network game play. Currently the network gameplay randomly paired against other people but i want to add the ability to enter a code so you can text that code to a friend and have it match you.

Basically you guess the scrambled word, if you find it first, you get health (up to the maximum) AND your opponent loses health. If neither guess, you both lose points. every 10 words, the maxWordLength increases by 1.

solo play has tons of configuration options.

If you like word scramble games, please give it a try and give me some feedback. I'm not exactly a master programmer nor graphics guy, like I mentioned its just a pet project.

The application is andJUMBLE! and has the following features:

* >60,000 words in supplied database
    * ability to create your own word database and use it alone, or in conjunction with system database
    * ability to set system words to be ignored
    * option to change the # of rounds per game
    * option to change the word size for the game
    * option to change the time per round, and delay between rounds
    * options to see hints on incorrect guesses, acceptable words(after the round is over)
    * vibrate & sound notification options
    * Bluetooth head to head play (rough draft - work in progress
    * Network head to head play with a matching server (works better than bluetooth at the moment). Game toggles host each round so neither player has unfair advantage due to network (cellular) latency
    * Word lookup by letters contained (if you want to reverse solve a jumbled word

and Its FREE!! (has a few ads - i'm just playing with admob at the same time)

Please check it out and give me some feedback - tested with N1 and Motorola Droid. Just search for andJumble, or just jumble.

Thanks!!
    [​IMG]
  23. brykins

Have got WordWise up and running on my HTC Desire and am testing it out now. Anyone else that has it, please feel free to start up a game with me at: brykins@gmail.com

UPDATE: Don't send me any invites. The app isn't working yet on the HTC Desire but the developer is working on it.
  24. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Well-Known Member

I downloaded wordwise and its been working on my Droid, if anyone else wants to start up a game send me an invite g.armstrong00@gmail.com
  25. brykins

Further update - WordWise now works on HTC Desire (I've been testing it for the developer) so go on, download it and send me an invite! brykins@gmail.com