Scratchy speakerSupport

Last Updated:

1. Amrov

Amrov Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My 8-month-old Moto Droid suddenly lost considerable sound quality as of yesterday. The speaker is scratchy now and sounds "blown." It's scratchy using regular mode or speakerphone. It was not dropped (at least not recently ... :rolleyes:) or submerged or anything like that. Has anyone recovered from a scratchy speaker, or is it time to call Verizon? Knock wood, but this is the first major problem I've had with my Droid. If it matters, I forced the 2.2 upgrade (FRG01B) 2 weeks ago, but this problem just started yesterday.

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Sounds like a warranty replacement to me.

3. Amrov

thanks kelmar -- I think you are right. I just don't know if I can bear to deal with it after having done the 2.2 upgrade and also done a factory re-set and got everything back to the way I like it... Love your avatar, btw.

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

I had this problem quite a bit with my old nokias. Went through them every 3 months or so due to blown earpiece speakers.

Unfortunately you are stuck with a decision, get a replacement or deal with a blown speaker. :p

5. bjamerican

bjamerican Well-Known Member

This happened to my Droid as well. After 5 months the rear speaker blew, causing buzzing sounds while using speakerphone or playing music.

It was a tough battle, but I eventually got Verizon to replace it after visiting 3 stores. Two store managers insisted that they could not hear the difference between my blown speaker and the working display models in the stores.

6. Amrov

Interesting experience to report -- with two main points: Took my Droid into Verizon last night to see about the speaker issue -- they called tech support, who asked whether I had upgraded yet to 2.2. Supposedly, they are aware of a speaker issue and said that the new update is supposed to fix it. (Point 1) I said that I had forced the update to 2.2, and that I noticed the problem AFTER the update (but not immediately after -- about 2 weeks later). The tech guy then warned me that forcing manual updates (instead of waiting for Verizon to push it to you) VOIDS THE WARRANTY. (Point 2). HOWEVER, he said that since I "apparently didn't know that," he would not enforce it, and I'm getting a new phone Thursday. (I will say that other than the warranty comment, the whole process was quite painless and fuss-free.)