Screen a bit loose... Anyone else?Support

Last Updated:

1. mshest

mshest Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so when the Droid is closed and i am looking at it so that the usb port is directly in front of me with the screen facing up.... if i look towards the right corner there is more space between the 2 parts of the phone than on the left. and in fact i can press on top of the back key and squish the phone together more. everything is really solid and when the phone is open everything is symetrical..... just wondering about whether anyone else has the same issue?

Advertisement
  2. Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky Well-Known Member

Yes, mine is the same way. I noticed it after using my wife's phone and not feeling the screen move when I pressed the back button. We bought two and opted for the Best Buy 9.99 insurance. I plan on taking advantage of the insurance in the next few months. It's not enough to bother me at this point. I figured I would wait until I scratch it up or something then drop it a few times to get a new one.

Still love the Droid!

3. mshest

well, my co-worker who also has the Droid, also has this issue. if more people don't reply here i guess i might have to stop by the VZ store to take a look at what their brand new models have

4. nerdstaz

nerdstaz Well-Known Member

If it helps, my phone does not have this issue! Neither does a friend of mine and his lady. They are all pretty even!

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Ditto. No extraneous spaces.

6. th3dude19

th3dude19 Member

I've noticed that there is a little bit of give in the hinge of my phone.

When the phone is closed, and I press on the screen, there is some give between the screen and the keyboard below. Is this normal? Suggestions?

7. blazingwolf

blazingwolf Well-Known Member

Not sure if it is "normal" or not but it happens on mine too. I can make mine make noises if I push on the upper right corner and lower left corner.

I'll probably head to VZW in some point in time to experiment with another Droid and see if happens to that one also.

8. Stone128

Stone128 New Member

Mine has a loose feel as well where there is give between the screen and keyboard. Two friends have the phone and theirs does not have this. I wonder if it will happen over time or if it is a defect.

9. mshest

so i went to the VZW store and they bitched me out and told me its "normal" and that it needs the gap to open easier.... but i swear my gap is like a millimeter bigger than other gaps. why cruel world... WHY?!

10. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

Damn :mad: I have it too, never noticed it until now.

11. mshest

this damn gap is causing me mental anguish. i might have to do the 30 day exchange.. i wonder what they will say.....

12. MrDonBonJovi

MrDonBonJovi Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about nit picking like that. I came from the Storm 1 debacle where everyone was trying to find the smallest reason to return their phones. My "click" sounds different that his "click". Don't worry about it people. The sliding mechanism is going to show wear on this phone, its inevitable. Nature of the beast.
    I come from a mechanical design background so maybe my perspective is a little different.

13. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

@ Mr Bon Jovi, that's really easy for someone without OCD to say.

14. MrDonBonJovi

MrDonBonJovi Well-Known Member

Understandable, but in some time it probably won't be that big of a deal.

15. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I was going to go return my Droid solely over this, but if it's an issue others are having as well, maybe I'll just play with one at the Verizon store, see if it does it, and decide from there.

16. Nepherim

Nepherim Well-Known Member

I see a gap which is around 1mm. But the different between left and right is very tiny: <0.5mm I'd say. I'm able to squish things together maybe .25mm.

17. Stone128

Stone128 New Member

I mean I don't see it as a showstopper because it doesn't affect functionality. But it is disconcerting considering I've had the phone for 2 days.

18. writhum

writhum Well-Known Member

I also have a more noticeable gap on the right side than the left. However, I just purchased one of the hard plastic cases from a Verizon store...It seems that with the case snapped on, there is no give whatsoever. Even though it makes the phone more bulky, I like that it removes the 'flimsyness.

19. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

Perfectly parallel left to right :)

20. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Well, no, it's not, but I figure if that's looser than it should be, what ELSE is looser than it should be? O_O

21. Backnblack

Backnblack Well-Known Member

but it seems that the all cell phone forums are full of OCD'er....

22. blazingwolf

blazingwolf Well-Known Member

Threads merged. Please look for already posted threads before starting another one. :)

23. atlbuc

atlbuc Well-Known Member

Mine had this issue, I took it back to Best Buy and had them open several Droid boxes so I can choose a good one.

24. estobaughn

estobaughn Active Member

Not sure if it's the same issue but whenever I have the screen out to use the keyboard it seems weak when I press the home button.

25. Blackjoker4215

Blackjoker4215 Member

I am also having this issue. I took it to Verizon and they noticed the problem and told me to watch it and see if it gets worse. I was fine with that, but the more and more I use my phone the more and more I notice it and am borhered by it. I plan on going to the other store in the area tomorrow and get an exchange because of this and other issues such as dropped 3g and extreme heat from top of phone. It sounds so much like the storm when I press any of the buttons and sometimes when I touch the screen. We shall see how it goes.