Screen Auto Dim/Brighten

Last Updated:

1. Android1

Android1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I thought the Desire could dim/brighten the screen based on ambient light conditions.

I can't seem to get this to work - am I missing something.

I thought that Settings \ Sound and Display \ Brightness \ Automatic Brightness would do this - but it doesn't seem to do anything at all??

TIA

Advertisement
  2. cnanthony

cnanthony Well-Known Member

Im having the same problem, looking at my phone in the dark with auto brightness set is really heavy on my eyes. As soon as I adjust brightness manually it drops dramatically. Why isn't the sensor working?

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

If the key lights go on and off, the it IS working correctly.

The phone gradually shifts brightness up down rather than a sudden drop.

4. Android1

nx1977, I don't know what you mean, when should the key lights go on and off? When I go to different light conditions?

And I would have thought that it *should* adjust the brightness more quickly - otherwise you would get a blinding light when you first put it on in the dark..

Thanks for the help tho

5. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

In bright light, the buttons wont light. In the dark they will ;)

6. Android1

OK, I got it... :).

I've tried this just now and if I'm in bright light the key lights go off, and if I'm in pitch black the key lights come on.

But I can't see any noticable difference in the screen brightness - it's still too bright in the dark tho it's fine in bright light.

Is it possible to adjust the hi and lo settings for the screen brightness when it's in Auto Mode???

Thanks again

7. cnanthony

cnanthony Well-Known Member

Ok so maybe the sensor is working but it doesn't adjust the screen brightness. I can spend 20 minutes on my phone in the dark and the screen will never shift the brightness to a level that is even close to the manual settings. Its frustrating there doesn't seem to be any real change in brightness setting at all, not a massive issue but annoying nonetheless.

8. !Afrokid!

!Afrokid! Member

Theres an app on the maket called "Sensor Test" Once installed, look for the "Light" heading. When in natural daylight and indoor light, those figures should change respectively.

9. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

May be worth an email to HTC.

Many that had the Hero also noted the shift in brightness levels isnt that noticeable on the Desire

10. Android1

11. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

The light sensors I'm located in the black screen surround, just to the left of the HTC logo at the top of the screen

Try this little test, in bright daylight, put your thumb over this area you should see the brightness of the display diminish