• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Screen Black Except in Corner?

ryandpd

Mar 7, 2013
I'm hoping someone can help me at least diagnose the problem with my MT. I am only able to get the screen to display a small bunch of curvy (mostly) blue lines in the lower right corner. Otherwise the screen is blank. Charging lights work and the phone will make noise (text notification and general notification), so I think the phone is working but the screen is not (but I may be wrong).

I don't think it matters, but I was running Chairshot215's triumph stock verbatim lite (I think) 2.3.7 rom at the time and have been for weeks.

I've tried pulling the battery, booting into download mode, booting into recovery, all to no avail. I have attached a picture of the problem (the lower right of the screen is in the upper right of the picture because the camera was turned).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 92
I'm hoping someone can help me at least diagnose the problem with my MT. I am only able to get the screen to display a small bunch of curvy (mostly) blue lines in the lower right corner. Otherwise the screen is blank. Charging lights work and the phone will make noise (text notification and general notification), so I think the phone is working but the screen is not (but I may be wrong).

I don't think it matters, but I was running Chairshot215's triumph stock verbatim lite (I think) 2.3.7 rom at the time and have been for weeks.

I've tried pulling the battery, booting into download mode, booting into recovery, all to no avail. I have attached a picture of the problem (the lower right of the screen is in the upper right of the picture because the camera was turned).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It looks like water penetration.

Reactions: ryandpd
Upvote 0
It looks like water penetration.

Thanks for the help, dsmryder. I have no explanation for how that may have occurred (phone was in bed, and was on the floor (maybe an 18inch drop onto carpet) when I woke up. There were no open containers in bed or near it, and no liquid around it on the floor.

How would I go about remedying it if that is the problem?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help, dsmryder. I have no explanation for how that may have occurred (phone was in bed, and was on the floor (maybe an 18inch drop onto carpet) when I woke up. There were no open containers in bed or near it, and no liquid around it on the floor.

How would I go about remedying it if that is the problem?

Honestly? I would get a new phone. If you want to stay with VM then I would look at maybe the d710 galaxy s2. They can be had for less than $100.

If you were thinking about leaving VM then look at my signature for Ting.

Reactions: ryandpd
Upvote 0
Honestly? I would get a new phone. If you want to stay with VM then I would look at maybe the d710 galaxy s2. They can be had for less than $100.

If you were thinking about leaving VM then look at my signature for Ting.

Thanks for the honest advice. I agreed and did go get a new phone, chose the LG Volt on Boost over the Kyocera Hydro Vibe on VM (both were on sale for $80 at Best Buy; VM Volt was almost double the price). Noticeably faster and more responsive, and while it's definitely not the best, I think it's going to work for my needs for quite a while.

Ting is a good deal compared to contract providers, but I find them to be about equal with the other no contracts for my need. Thanks for the tip, though!

I was wondering if you could point me towards any info on resetting the phone and erasing all data on it via the computer. I'm pretty sure it's just the screen that's shot, and would like to wipe it before I do anything else with it (sell/recycle).

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the honest advice. I agreed and did go get a new phone, chose the LG Volt on Boost over the Kyocera Hydro Vibe on VM (both were on sale for $80 at Best Buy; VM Volt was almost double the price). Noticeably faster and more responsive, and while it's definitely not the best, I think it's going to work for my needs for quite a while.

Ting is a good deal compared to contract providers, but I find them to be about equal with the other no contracts for my need. Thanks for the tip, though!

I was wondering if you could point me towards any info on resetting the phone and erasing all data on it via the computer. I'm pretty sure it's just the screen that's shot, and would like to wipe it before I do anything else with it (sell/recycle).

Thanks!

I guess you could go into download mode and format it. That is scary being you wouldn't be doing it via a tested method.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones