Screen brightness..."Do these go to 11?" Or rather, "-1"

Last Updated:

1. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Given that it seems like the screen is the biggest battery hog, and even at "0", in low light settings, the screen is plenty bright, is there a way to lower the brightness range? I did this via registry changes on my Motorola Q, and it helped extend battery life a little. It also seems like the lock screen is a little dimmer than the active, when waking from sleep.

If not, I guess I'll have to wait for Seidio to come out with a double-thickness, 2800mA battery and cover. :(
    :)

edit - Hmmm, I just took my battery out, replaced the cover, and held the battery on top of the cover, to mimic what an extended battery would look/feel like. Seems to make using the hard keyboard a little easier. Come on Seidio!

Advertisement
  2. Nepherim

Nepherim Well-Known Member

Also interested in finding an app that lets us further reduce the screen brightness. The screen is the main user of my battery, and as you say, even a setting of '1' is too bright.

3. JoeFresco

JoeFresco Well-Known Member

I think this deserves a bump.

4. motodan

motodan Member

The app "Quick Settings" allowed me to lower the screen brightness below the default minimum value. Its actually a nice little app, gives you quick acess to ringing and vibrate profiles as well. I use it in place of the power control widget.

5. colnago

Good lookin out...that's got it! "Now these go to 0, but then its 1 more...its 1 darker."

:p

6. Nepherim

Definitely goes to a lower brightness setting than usual -- a big plus. It doesn't install as a widget though, so it's not quite as accessible, even though it can sit in the notification bar. It also doesn't actually change the settings, but rather jumps to the normal settings screen -- so it's around 6 key presses to turn things on/off.

7. colnago

:confused:

I just created a desktop icon for it...once I press it, I'm in the custom (sort of) window, and all the toggle switches are there. How are you counting "6"? From sleep state? Even then its only 3, including the power button to wake > unlock swipe > Quick Settings shortcut.

8. Nepherim

6 was a guesstimate. Also, looks like my comment only applies to GPS -- the other settings are managed within the app, so no switching.
    1] click desktop icon
    2] Click GPS receiver (opens GPS settings menu)
    3] Press GPS satellites

Okay, so 3 :) that's close to 6. Either way it's more than one from the built-in power widget. Would be nice if Quick Settings was a widget as well.

9. colnago

What specifically are you trying to get to with GPS? The toggle on/off? Any Cut might get you where you want to go. I'd just leave the native powerbar, and add a "Quick Settings" shortcut, just to get to screen brightness when you need it. I'm leaving it at -11 most of the time anyway.

10. Nepherim

Agreed. I'll leave the native powerbar for all the quick toggles, and use Quite Settings to stay on -11.

11. motodan

motodan Member

I had assumed the GPS was a toggle like the other buttons, most likely a bug since the other settings can toggle w/ the on/off switches and also take you to settings menu when the name of the setting is pressed.

12. colnago

I think Nepherim has the wrong widget/app installed. Quick Settings works more like an app, and its pretty much a pop up window, with toggle buttons, except for the screen brightness slider.

13. motodan

motodan Member

Yeah, except that the GPS button doesn't work as it should, it does't toggle. I think he's got the right app.

14. colnago

I see what you're sayin...nm. I need sleep.

15. Nepherim

Yeah, I might have spelled it incorrectly, but definitely I have the right app :) GPS setting seems to operate in a different manner to the other settings.

I refer the honorable lady/gentleman to the image s/he attached to my earlier thread :)

16. pattywak

pattywak Well-Known Member

I was looking for the same kind of app and found this: Screen Filter.

Screen Filter - Android app on AppBrain

This will make your screen go very dark! Be careful setting it. Hope this helps you guys out!

17. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Well-Known Member

I am sure they are still looking at this thread, two years later.:eek: