Screen Brightness on Kaos v37

Last Updated:

1. tr11

tr11 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does everyone keep their screen brightness on auto or do you set it manually. I notice when it's on auto, sometimes the screen doesn't light up all the way. Will setting it manually drain the battery quicker? I notice in my battery usage that it says display is at like 74%. Not sure if that's normal or not. I have the brightness set at about 1/4 of the way up.

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I turn off auto-brightness on any ROM I use. I have my screen brightness set to about 30%. I unplug my phone about 5:30 am, plug it back in around 9:30 pm, typically I have about 40% charge remaining at the end of the day.

3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

This is one of the reasons why I have stopped using Kaos - the autobrightness doesn't work as well as it does on other ROMs.

Having display being the highest battery drain is a good thing - that means that there aren't other apps in the background draining your battery. You must have the display turned on a lot if it is 74%. But, sure, turning down the brightness will drain the battery less. I just use auto because my phone gets through the day that way just fine and I am often in different lighting conditions.

4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

FYI, I don't use auto because my desk is near a window. If I turn the phone 'this way' the screen darkens, if I turn it 'that way' it brightens - I find that annoying. I realize it's doing just what it's supposed to, but it annoys me.

5. tr11

I put the ROM on my wife's phone as well and turned off the auto brightness but she has something that says "media server" that highest on her battery usage even over her display. Anybody know what the media server could be? I checked the running services and didn't see anything called that.

6. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Does she use Pandora or something like that to listen to music?

7. tr11

She does use Pandora. But I don't believe it was used at all yesterday since I just put the ROM yesterday afternoon.
    I guess I should try to uninstall and then reinstall that app and see if that clears it.

8. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Using the music app or even a podcast app like DoggCatcher will cause media server to appear as battery usage.

9. tr11

I know she didn't start Pandora or any other music apps on her phone. I did notice when re-flashing the ROM that her apps loaded automatically. Mine did not. So I removed a bunch of stuff from her SD card and then re-flashed. And the media server issue seems to be gone. So whatever was loading on there I seemed to have gotten off. I'll check it again today and hopefully her batter will last longer then 2 hours or she'll be killing me. :)