• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen burn in

jaj324

Android Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2011
Alabama
plus.google.com
This could be a problem. I noticed that the on screen buttons have already begun to burn in at the bottom of the screen, in 2 days!! I use my phone in portrait mode almost all of the time. Last night when I rotated to landscape I could still see the outline of the 3 onscreen buttons on the left end of the screen.

If you have a N6 try this. Go into the clock app. It has a blue background. Turn your phone from portrait mode one quarter turn to the right. The area where the buttons usually are will now be on the left edge of the screen. Look closely, do you still see the buttons??

Reactions: electricpete
I hope this isn't true. It was definitely a big fear but I figured with the newer AMOLED technology, it wouldn't be as big an issue.

It should be covered under the manufacturer warranty, though.

$700 is way too much to spend on a phone that will have any kind of issue like that.

Though, he must be using his phone ALOT to have burn in after two days.

Maybe it's just ghosting. AMOLED does that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
In just saying the grass isn't greener, so to speak. I hate Touchwiz, but if that's your bag, it's cool.

Personally, I'd go back to a budget Android before I buy a Samsung. I've always had bad luck with their phones. My 61" DLP is still kicking ass though.

I currently have both in my possession. Side by side, there is no real comparison for me. I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to like the N6 more. I was biased when I started because I'm a Verizon customer and a Nexus is a unicorn for me. But after having both in my hands in my "real" world (notice my real world is not YOUR real world), the Note 4 wins in almost every category. Yes I am not a fan of Touchwiz but even with that, the Note 4 wins. It wins in battery life, screen, the fit of my hand, camera and the list goes on and on. The screen burn in here, I didn't notice until after I contacted Moto this morning to set up sending back the N6. That continues to confirm my choice. The only things that I can say that the N6 has as an advantage are build quality, I hate plastic backs, and Lollipop. I'm honestly not even a real fan of vanilla. I think the Moto X and Droid Turbo have the struck a good balance of vanilla with features.

I had the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. That was an AWFUL experience too. I blamed Samsung. I swore off Samsung because their radios were AWFUL. I attributed the 6 hour battery life to that. Maybe Samsung is worth another look.

Upvote 0
I totally get it. I'd like the ability to hold each side by side myself. This will be my first "flagship" smartphone. In fact, I use my tablet for most mobile work, and even buying something this extravagant is overkill for me. That alone makes the extra $100 for nearly-identical specs out of the question.

If I have problems with screen burn-in right off the bat, I'll be crushed. But that's what warranties are for. I'm still willing to bet these will be isolated incidents, likely reported by people who can't put their phones down. (not meant in a derogatory manner, I'm on my Nexus 7 for hours a day) I'm hoping my usage patterns will net me a year or more before I see any problems. I'll be sure to report anything I find to the community though once I get my grubby hands on it. UPS says it will be in tomorrow. (fingers crossed)

Reactions: jdduncan12
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones