Screen burn on the DesireSupport

Last Updated:

1. zafonic

zafonic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Is it true that in time the Desire with the AMOLED screen will suffer from burn??

If this is indeed correct, is there anyway of preventing this from happening?

Advertisement
  2. LECTER

LECTER Well-Known Member

Some do, some don't but HTC is only making SLCD now anyway. ;)

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Its possible that OLED screens will get screen burn, but haven't seen any yet.

Just don't have the screen on constantly with the same image shown.

4. partridge

partridge Well-Known Member

it's one of those things that could happen under certain circumstances; like leaving your phone display on the same image for 8 hours a day for a year or something ridiculous.

I wouldn't worry, the majority of the time the phone is on the screen is blank anyway.

It does make me chuckle a little that now that HTC have gone for SLCD (due to the low supply of AMNOLED screens) people are suddenly posting how great SLCD is compared to AMOLED.

Engadget ran a test between two Desires, one of each screen type and actually found that the AMOLED lasted longer battery wise and that it's colours were brighter and more vibrant. The SLCD was a little sharper image wise.

Both suffered viewing problems under direct sunlight though.

Fact is, if HTC could source AMOLED in the numbers they need, they'd be using it. Samsung have the monopoly on those screens so htc have gone elsewhere.

5. hullboy

hullboy New Member

humm HTC Desire, had it 3 months factory settings so screen turns off and so on and the nice AMOLED has screen burn all over it.... Gutted... :-(
    lets see what three mobile have to say about it and if they will be willing to fix it.

6. Beaker

Beaker Member

Just call HTC direct, they'll repair it under warranty.

7. Good Old Bakes

Good Old Bakes Well-Known Member

I've started using Kaloer Night Clock and leaving it on clock display over night. Is that going to be a fast track to screen burn then?

8. zafonic

Any Desire with AMOLED screen noticed if they have any screen burn where clock, battery meter etc top right of screen at all??

9. Technaudio

Technaudio Member

yep. 6months old

10. moe3754

moe3754 Well-Known Member

I never had a Amoled Desire but my Nexus one had screen burn in, only after three weeks on it's amoled screen and as the weeks went on it got worse, I got rid of it and waited for the Desire and am glad I have the Lcd screen now!!!!

11. SiHa

SiHa Well-Known Member

I've had my Desire since April, so it's AMOLED, and have no screen burn at all. I do tend to turn the screen off with the power button whenever I put it down, purely to save the battery, but I suppose that's why.

12. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I have 15 second delay on screen off. My screen is on approx 2h 30m per day (between charges) and had it since the beggining of May.

Also report no burn.

13. zafonic

I have mine on a lot longer throughout the day. It can differ from day to day, but on average its something like at least 5 hours a day.

The only time the screen burn really bothers me is when I have a white screen, while I am waiting for Android market or web browser to load. My eyes are always drawn to that part of the screen where the screen burn is.