Screen burn

Last Updated:

1. furious duck

furious duck Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone else experiencing screen burn on their Desires? I only noticed it this afternoon when I rebooted my phone. When the white HTC splash screen came up I could see the outline of the keyboard. It was a bit of a shock! I downloaded one of those silly torch apps that make the screen go white so I could get a good look at it. It's only faint and can only been seen on a white background but it's definitely there. I've had the phone about 7 months and must say I text far too much so the keyboard is on quite a lot. Anybody else experiencing this? Any idea if I'd get a replacement from t-mobile if I pushed for one?

Advertisement
  2. jay_kay

jay_kay Well-Known Member

Not got it personally on my phone but I have been careful about things being left on the screen too long. Was using an alarm clock that displayed the time. Loved it but started thinking it would cause this so stopped using it.

Would be worth a go mate. Are you insured as might be able to if you are due to it being faulty. Doubt they would if you are not but its always worth a try and just plead ignorance.

3. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

Are you AMOLED or SLCD?

4. furious duck

5. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

I haven't got it (yet) either - but I have been concerned about OLED screen life from very early on. Others have also worried about burn-in.

I actually have an issue with my Desire that it frequently won't go to sleep; it will dim the display after some time but it will never turn it off. I don't know what it's causing it, but I worry that it eats not only my battery but also my screen.

6. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

Other people have reported similar screen burn issues with AMOLED, I would recommend not having your screen set to 1 particular image for a prolonged period of time, and setting your screen timeout to a shorter interval.

7. riki1kenobi

riki1kenobi Well-Known Member

IF it is in the early stages it can be reversed by running a "White Noise" type program, something like jscreenfix....It is available for Android. Another way to get rid would be to run a vid on the screen, however, it needs to be fast moving images of constantly changing colours etc.....

8. moe3754

moe3754 Well-Known Member

When I had my Nexus one I had screen burn in only after three weeks of use and it got worse over time, there are many threads over many forum's about this, it is one reason I got rid of the Nexus and am glad my Desire is the Lcd screen!!!!

9. Cougar

Cougar Well-Known Member

"Are you AMOLED or SLCD"

How can you tell?

10. No_u

No_u Well-Known Member

It says so on the box. Look for "Highlights", if it says

"Enjoy a vivid visual experience on the large 3.7 inch AMOLED display"
    - It's an AMOLED screen

If it leaves out the word AMOLED it's SLCD

11. Evil Genius

Evil Genius Well-Known Member

it's printed on the box your phone came in (if you have an original HTC box, that is).

12. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

Well for the OP it's easy - if (s)he's had it for 7 months it's AMOLED. In the UK the SLCD models first started appearing in August sometime as I recall, and recent ones are all SLCD.

I've heard that the simple answer is "if it doesn't say AMOLED on the box somewhere then it isn't". Others suggest looking for backlight "bleed" (AMOLED won't have this). But if your eyes are good you should be able to tell by looking at a vertical black-white or white-black transition: because of the "pen tile" subpixel structure used with the AMOLED screen if you look closely you should see a pinkish edge at the edge of a black-white border and a greenish one at the edge of a white-black transition. If you can see that you have an AMOLED.

13. furious duck

Yeah I'd agree with your comments but personally it's the keyboard that's causing the screen burn so it's not an option unfortunately. Going to pop in to a shop to see how the Desire SLCD looks compared to my AMOLED and then going to contact the network and see what they say about a replacement.

14. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

That is kind of odd, unless you text, email and do FB posts and tweet... like massively... not really sure why your keyboard would be burnt in vs other things.

15. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

I text a lot, but make a habit of always pushing the power button the second I'm done typing. Saves the battery and saves the screen. Probably leads to an early death for the on button though. You just can't win, eh? :rolleyes:

16. furious duck

Probably average about 30 texts a day I guess. I must be something to do with the contrast of the grey background against the white keys.

17. robogo

robogo Well-Known Member

I just checked mine (AMOLED). No burn-in.

18. furious duck

Just in case anyone has the same problem - t-mobile will replace the screen under warranty. Sadly the repair will take 2 - 4wks! I'm going to wait till mine gets really bad before handing it over.

19. zafonic

zafonic Well-Known Member

Unfortunately i do have some screen burn on the bottom of the screen. Not that bad enough for me to notice that much, unless i get very close to the screen.

20. mi6-bond

mi6-bond Well-Known Member

wow,i had no idea the desire had two different screens,why is this. is one better than the other.

21. furious duck

22. mi6-bond

mi6-bond Well-Known Member