• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

furious duck

Apr 19, 2010
Anyone else experiencing screen burn on their Desires? I only noticed it this afternoon when I rebooted my phone. When the white HTC splash screen came up I could see the outline of the keyboard. It was a bit of a shock! I downloaded one of those silly torch apps that make the screen go white so I could get a good look at it. It's only faint and can only been seen on a white background but it's definitely there. I've had the phone about 7 months and must say I text far too much so the keyboard is on quite a lot. Anybody else experiencing this? Any idea if I'd get a replacement from t-mobile if I pushed for one?

Not got it personally on my phone but I have been careful about things being left on the screen too long. Was using an alarm clock that displayed the time. Loved it but started thinking it would cause this so stopped using it.

Would be worth a go mate. Are you insured as might be able to if you are due to it being faulty. Doubt they would if you are not but its always worth a try and just plead ignorance.

Upvote 0
Anyone else experiencing screen burn on their Desires? I only noticed it this afternoon when I rebooted my phone. When the white HTC splash screen came up I could see the outline of the keyboard. It was a bit of a shock! I downloaded one of those silly torch apps that make the screen go white so I could get a good look at it. It's only faint and can only been seen on a white background but it's definitely there. I've had the phone about 7 months and must say I text far too much so the keyboard is on quite a lot. Anybody else experiencing this? Any idea if I'd get a replacement from t-mobile if I pushed for one?

Are you AMOLED or SLCD?

Upvote 0
I haven't got it (yet) either - but I have been concerned about OLED screen life from very early on. Others have also worried about burn-in.

I actually have an issue with my Desire that it frequently won't go to sleep; it will dim the display after some time but it will never turn it off. I don't know what it's causing it, but I worry that it eats not only my battery but also my screen.

Upvote 0
"Are you AMOLED or SLCD"

How can you tell?
Well for the OP it's easy - if (s)he's had it for 7 months it's AMOLED. In the UK the SLCD models first started appearing in August sometime as I recall, and recent ones are all SLCD.

I've heard that the simple answer is "if it doesn't say AMOLED on the box somewhere then it isn't". Others suggest looking for backlight "bleed" (AMOLED won't have this). But if your eyes are good you should be able to tell by looking at a vertical black-white or white-black transition: because of the "pen tile" subpixel structure used with the AMOLED screen if you look closely you should see a pinkish edge at the edge of a black-white border and a greenish one at the edge of a white-black transition. If you can see that you have an AMOLED.

Upvote 0
Other people have reported similar screen burn issues with AMOLED, I would recommend not having your screen set to 1 particular image for a prolonged period of time, and setting your screen timeout to a shorter interval.

Yeah I'd agree with your comments but personally it's the keyboard that's causing the screen burn so it's not an option unfortunately. Going to pop in to a shop to see how the Desire SLCD looks compared to my AMOLED and then going to contact the network and see what they say about a replacement.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones