• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Calibration

sroberts

Lurker
Aug 17, 2010
Is there any way to get to a screen calibration tool on the Captivate? I've seen posts for HTC phones where there is a screen calibration tool under settings, but have yet to find one for the Captivate / Galaxy S.

The touch isn't far off, but one some web pages it consistently selects the link just below where I touch. Typing is ok since I use swype, but the browser being off is getting annoying.

Thanks,
Steve

Capacitive screens (like the captivate) don't require screen alignment. That has to be done at the factory when it's being built. You're probably looking at HTC phones that use resistive screens, and can be re-aligned via a tool.

Is it only in certain apps or is it always "slightly off"? If it's mis-aligned, it came out of the factory that way and will probably need to be returned.

Upvote 0
I understand the difference in screens, but according to this thread in the EVO forums there is a way to do it on capacitive screens. I get that resistive and capacitive screens work differently as well, but I thought one reason for the calibration tool was to fit the input to the user (i.e. if I always touch 5 pixels higher than where the screen registers my input, it can correct that in an offset for all input).

I'm surprised if there isn't a way in the Android system to calibrate.

http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-evo-4g/90404-tip-how-do-i-settings-android.html

Upvote 0
I think that reference is about compensating when touching the keyboard (since some people have fat fingers), which i'm guessing the keyboard app has to do on the fly inside it's own code. I'm not aware of any system-wide recalibration tool for capacitive screens. Someone else here might know a better trick though.

Upvote 0
I think that reference is about compensating when touching the keyboard (since some people have fat fingers), which i'm guessing the keyboard app has to do on the fly inside it's own code. I'm not aware of any system-wide recalibration tool for capacitive screens. Someone else here might know a better trick though.

Good point, I didn't consider that. Oh well, it isn't a deal breaker, but I was hoping there would be something. I haven't had a problem with the keyboard since I use swype.

Still, it seems like there should be a general option to calibrate the screen, even if it is under some advanced menu.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones