• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help screen doesn't shut off during a call when the phone is held to my face

animuL

Lurker
Mar 5, 2010
I've searched and have been unable to find a solution to this problem. Actually its with my wife's phone, we both have Moments, mine works great but hers frequently (not all the time) doesn't shut off during phone calls. At first I thought she was just holding it strange but I have seen it for myself and its quite frustrating. The biggest issue is that its an intermittent problem so of course it never happens when at the Sprint store asking about replacing the phone. I did the recent update to the phone and it still does it. Any way to fix this short of getting a new one?

Thanks!

The proximity sensor is software that runs on the phone, and sometimes it lags a little. When she answers the phone, ask her to wait a second or two before holding it up to her face and see if that helps. Also, make sure that the glass over the sensor is clean (my wife gets make-up caked all over her Hero). Not sure if this will help, but the waiting a couple seconds thing did help for me.

Upvote 0
I am not a Vampire but I can't be sure about my wife, although she has never claimed to be one. She does like to watch Vampire Diaries and she has seen both Twilight movies so maybe that means something?? Now that you mention it, I have never actually had her phone not work for me. In fact I put both our phones side by side one day, on call to each other and placed my hand over the sensor simultaneously for probably 10 minutes causing the screens to go on and off constantly. Neither one of our phones had a single hiccup. But like I said, I have definitely witnessed my wife on the phone, clearly in the path of the sensor, with the screen on. Now I am at a crossroads... what if we exchange her phone for a new one and it keeps happening?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones