• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen flickering and battery going to 0% while on charge

Andarthiel

Lurker
Feb 14, 2011
I have an annoying problem with my S3. It started like 4 months ago. I use my phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot(with mobile data) for my PC(since I have no cable/dsl internet connection) and it worked quite well for a good year or so and then it just had this issue where the battery would suddenly drop to 0% for no reason, the 3g/4g would stop working and the screen would be flickering too followed by a swift shut down and when I restarted it, it would be still be at 0%.And this would all happen while it was charging.When it happened the first time I replaced the batteries and adapter to see if those were the problem. It seemed to work for a while but recently it's started up again and happens randomly. I tried using apps like Greenify to remove services which could be draining the battery but it didn't help. Anyone know how to diagnose or fix this issue?

I have an annoying problem with my S3. It started like 4 months ago. I use my phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot(with mobile data) for my PC(since I have no cable/dsl internet connection) and it worked quite well for a good year or so and then it just had this issue where the battery would suddenly drop to 0% for no reason, the 3g/4g would stop working and the screen would be flickering too followed by a swift shut down and when I restarted it, it would be still be at 0%.And this would all happen while it was charging.When it happened the first time I replaced the batteries and adapter to see if those were the problem. It seemed to work for a while but recently it's started up again and happens randomly. I tried using apps like Greenify to remove services which could be draining the battery but it didn't help. Anyone know how to diagnose or fix this issue?
Definitely a hardware problem. Sounds like a short somewhere inside. Very difficult to diagnose specifically what's shorting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones