Screen freezes when unplugged from chargerSupport

Last Updated: 2014-06-10 13:45:53
  1. rjcpgh

rjcpgh Member

My Galaxy S4 is just a few weeks old, and I really am happy with the phone. It's a great device.

One behavior that strikes me as odd is that after I unplug the phone from the charger, the screen is frozen for about 4 or 5 seconds. I cannot do anything with the phone until this 'timer' runs. For instance, it can be plugged in and if the phone rings, I see the call come up but if I unplug the phone I cannot activate the slider to answer the call until after a few seconds.

Likewise, I cannot bring up the home screen after unplugging until the 5 second freeze ends.

The phone did not do this initially, but just began acting this way in the last few days. Perhaps I installed an app that is causing this behavior?

Sometimes it freezes longer than 5 seconds and I then get a dialog box stating "Process system isn't responding. Do you want to close it?" with a 'Wait' or 'Close' option choice.

Is anyone able to provide any insight into this issue? It's quite a bit annoying. Not a show-stopper obviously, but not the way that I'd like it to work either.

Thanks very much for your time. I appreciate it.

Advertisement
  2. shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

I think you are correct in suspecting a recently installed app since this problem just started happening. So, go through your apps and uninstall them one at a time and then rebooting and seeing if the problem persists until you find the offending app. Basic troubleshooting here...just takes some time.
  3. lasn

lasn New Member

Did you ever figure out the culprit? Mine does the exact same thing. I have been trying to narrow down what app it might be.
  4. lasn

lasn New Member

I think I may have just figured it out by process of elimination.. It seemed to be the game: "Alien Hive"
  5. mike145

mike145 Well-Known Member

Mine does the same thing. Except when I unplug the charger the screen will not turn on for about 5 seconds. I tried removing all apps, and even tried a factory reset. Still does it every time it gets unplugged.
  6. WonderFull

WonderFull Active Member

I was also having the problem but mine was more severe. It used to freeze for almost a minute after the full recharge once i used to unplug it. Even the green full charge indicator used to remain green all this time. I was looking at my apps and found out that i had installed zedge lately. I removed it and the problem was solved. But again since last few days it is freezing for few seconds. It is for sure some app is causing this problem but which one needs to be found out.
  7. vvulture

vvulture New Member

My 3 day old S4 Mini DUOS does the same thing.. When unplugged from the charger, sometimes it freezes for about 10 seconds and comes good again, but other times it freezes permanently and only a battery removal will fix it. I have tried 3 different firmwares and they all do it. It also does it with only the default apps installed and nothing else.. Now going back for warranty.. :banghead:
  8. Hoseyn

Hoseyn New Member

Yeah! Its been 21 days since I bought my Galaxy S4 and lately it freezes for 5secs after I unplug when its fully charged! The green light remains on and I cant do nothing with my phone, restarted the phone and it was solved for about a week but happened again today!
  9. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

For those of you having the freeze issue, when you take it back to the store, they are going to dissappear into the back and do a factory reset on the phone. This is something that you can do without having to take it in and if that doesn't resolve the issue, you can tell them that you have already done a complete factory reset and it didn't resolve the issue. After the FDR, add back apps slowly until you find the culprit.