1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Screen goes black during calls. Fix?Support

1. mzelsmannjr

mzelsmannjr New Member

My screen goes black during phone calls, usually within a few seconds. This is especially annoying when connecting to voicemail. I thought I saw an app for that but now I can't find it. Or is it a setting I can't find?

Advertisement
  2. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

If you aren't blocking the proximity sensor, then you can use the app called screebl lite to keep your phone screen on while holding the phone.
    mzelsmannjr likes this.
  3. jdsingle

jdsingle Well-Known Member

The phone does this automatically when your face is covering the sensor. If you're having it stay black when your face is away from the phone then you might have something you can get covered under warranty. Have you pressed the power button if it is black when your phone is away from your face
    mzelsmannjr likes this.
  4. mzelsmannjr

mzelsmannjr New Member

I think that's the one, I just couldn't find it in the market. Thanks for your reply. I'll also try adjusting the proximity sensor.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

You can't adjust the proximity sensor, just the screen backlight timeout setting. Just make sure you aren't holding the phone in such a way as to block the proximity sensor in the upper right corner of the phone (near the LED).
  6. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

kinda impossible with it being right there.

anyway OP that feature is pretty handy, why dont you like it? i love it because i dont have to worry about ending or muting or putting it on speaker by accident by hitting it with my face.
  7. Chuck1906

Chuck1906 Well-Known Member

mine always goes black but as soon as you remove the phone from you face, your screen will come back. Sometimes I have to shake my phone to wake it up and show my screen.
  8. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

Nice tip. Sometimes mine doesn't come back on and I am unable to get it back on )=
  9. irrig8r

irrig8r New Member

Glad to have found this forum via a Google search. I've had my Droid X for just a couple of months.

The problem I'm having with the screen going black during calls is new and intermittent... seems to happen more when I'm outdoors and/or when the battery is less than half charged. Sometimes shaking the phone brings the display back for a second but not touch responsive, then goes black again.

I do have a Trident Kraken cover/ screen protector.

Maybe just coincidence but seems to have occurred only after recent software updates and intermittent.

Running Android version 2.3.3

System version 4.5.602.MB810.Verizon.en.US

Thanks for any help.
  10. lnadams

lnadams New Member

I have the same problem with my phone. It may sound silly but I rubb the top of the screen where the sensors are when it goes black. Works everytime but it may just be my phone. And for calling voicemail I have to rubb it then slide my phone open to get the screen to stay on. I hope this helps :)