Screen goes blackSupport

Last Updated:

1. Wilswan

Wilswan Member This Topic's Starter

Ok this actually happened for the first time last night and it was really scary with a three week old Evo. I was charging my phone and using it when I would recieve messages and such. My screen would time out like it should then I would recieve a text message. I would then unlock the screen, put in my password and the screen would view the go black. I could still hit buttoons although I could not see what I was hitting. I would hit the power button to lock the screen, unlock it again, it would view for a moment then black again. The navigation buttons at the bottom stay lit when the screen blacks out. At this point I dumped alot of different applications I had on my phone along with Home Launchers.

Troubleshooting:
    1) Restarted the phone by powering down. (Result) The screen still went black upon restarting.
    2) Unpluged phone from charger. (Result) The screen went black for a few times, but once I left it locked for a few minutes it seemed to work fine for a while but eventually back to the black screen.
    3) Checked animation and application settings. I had Beautiful widgets weather animation on along with the HTC Sense weather animation on. I uninstalled beautiful widgets. Also I looked under display> animations and my setting was on no animations but the beautiful widgets was displaying before deletion. (Result) It worked for quite some time, as I thought I had fixed it but my phone went to the black non-time-out screen with my phone just sitting on the desk.
    4) Check Brightness and screen timeout. My brightness is NEVER on auto and The screen timeout was set to 30 Sec. (Result) I turned the screen timeout to off, and My phone screen has not turned black once.
    ***Just to add I know for a fact that when my screen was going black that it was not the screen timeout as the navigation keys would stay lit and you could still type things and have access to the screen just without seeing it****

*Conclusion*
    I'm not really sure what the issue is with this, I think that with the settings and certain applications running and confusing the phone that it was trying to do too much and didnt know what to display. For now my phone hasnt done this all day long so maybe it was just a hiccup. I am thinking that having alot of apps that do the same principles running at the same tim eg. Beautiful widget animation and HTC weather animation, along with trying to perform its normal tasks the phone just got confused. I will keep anyone interested posted about this issue, I know this is a big issue listed on Sprints forums. Anyone else have this issue or ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

unfortunately I am seeing this more and more. someone else posted today about it. the last one I read that was resolved the sprint repair center replaced the phone :(

3. Wilswan

Wilswan Member This Topic's Starter

I thought I had everything figured out until I was in my college course texting and my neighbor was watching me, so I went to turn the screen brightness down for privacy. I turned it all the way down and low and behold within a minute or two the screen went black. I since then do not keep any brightness widgets on my home screen and have it set at about 1/8 of the brightness bar under the display setting.

My thoughts are that it has to be in the brightness configuration on the phone. Keep it off of auto adjust and away from the most dim setting and leave it alone is my only fix. I havent had any issues since then.

Hope this helps anyone else.

tallyplouffe likes this.
  4. binkocd

binkocd New Member

This issue has been happening on my Behold 2 since day one. I got it as a free phone from T-Mobile, then 3 weeks later Samsung dropped their 1.6 only bomb...just outside the take it back for a refund timeframe.

Anyhow, I have put custom roms from other users on it, both 1.5 and 1.6 and both have the issue where the screen goes black. The only way I can get it to come back from being black is to hold my power/call end button down until it prompts me if I want to turn it off, turn airplane mode off or on, and turn silent mode off or on.

I haven't really dug into it, but since the behold 2 is crap and no one seems to be using it, might just chalk it up and get a new phone. Update if you have any news.