• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Screen goes blank / black

Beatnink

Lurker
May 22, 2012
Hi, I've just bought a Galaxy S3 which I had upgraded by the parallel importer to Jellybean 4.1. All works fine except that when I do any of the following the screen goes blank / black:

• drag an item around the home screen;e.g. hold down an app icon and try to reposition it. Screen goes back to normal after a second or so
  • open certain applications;e.g. when I open the Klondike game, it briefly shows the splash screen then goes black. I can press return to get back to the homescreen
  • try to make a video call in Skype; call continues but screen goes black. Goes back to normal when I press the return button
Not sure if its an Android OS or hardware problem. Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Cheers
Ron
Wellington, NZ

Welcome to the forum Beatnink.

Did you wipe your phone after upgrading from ics? It could be caused with leftovers of the old firmware interfering with the new.
I had the phone upgraded to Android Jellybean by the company that I bought it from. Perhaps a case of reinstalling it all? In which case, any tips / links for how to do this in the most easy way? And is it worth installing the official release or continue with a root (if that's the right phrase? I'm a newby to this)

Upvote 0
That firmware is a leaked version so it will contain bugs. I'd recommended updating to the official release
[Stock Official Firmwares] I9300XXDLIB (4.1.1) - Poland (XEO) [24-09-12] - xda-developers

A guide to flashing can be found here

[Guide+ROMS]Odin Flash+Root Guide & Stock Firmwares LE4/6/8/9/F/D, LF1/2 - xda-developers
Sounds like a good suggestion. Does it matter what the region + country is for the stock official firmware listed on the xda-developers.com site? Thanks again.

Upvote 0
That firmware is a leaked version so it will contain bugs. I'd recommended updating to the official release
[Stock Official Firmwares] I9300XXDLIB (4.1.1) - Poland (XEO) [24-09-12] - xda-developers

A guide to flashing can be found here

[Guide+ROMS]Odin Flash+Root Guide & Stock Firmwares LE4/6/8/9/F/D, LF1/2 - xda-developers
A belated update. I haven't flashed my phone to the official firmware yet. I was about to return it to the web store I bought it for, for them to fix it under warranty. I had another go at resetting the phone first. This time I didn't get the screen problems, and I'm starting to suspect that Go-Launcher EX may have had a hand in it. I'll contact the developer to see if it is a known problem. But thanks for the help, suggestions so far!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones