Screen is off and wont turn on, but the phone is onSupport

Last Updated: 2010-10-02 03:08:47
  1. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

a few weeks ago I rooted my friends droid.
    It's now been dropped (pretty hard I assume) and the screen wont turn on.
    however the rest of the phone is functional.
    the keyboard lights up
    the notification led is lighting up
    It can recieve calls (although I have to guess where the bar is to accept the call)
    sounds like a hardware problem to me.
    it there any fix?

I do take apart and repair computers for a living, and somebody mentioned that the problem is probably the 'flash cable' he called it.
    is there anybody suggesting I take it apart? I know there's alot jammed into these smartphones and they're alot smaller than laptops or even the few netbooks I've taken apart.

PS: on the small chance that it's a software issue: all the sounds (ringtones ect.) have been replaced by that annoying system beep that happens when rooted you're phone and restore a backup where you had a ringtone selected that no longer exist on the new rom. But I doubt it's a software issue because I don't see the motorola logo when I'm booting it up.

Advertisement
  2. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

My brother dropped his phone from about 1.5 feet onto a thick carpet and the same thing happened. We took it to Verizon and said the screen stopped working. They did not ask about physical damage, so I think this is a common issue with the phone (see replacement droid comment below). They said they could not work on screen issues in the store and would send a replacement (which they did). Normally, I wouldn't recommend this method, but IMO the Droids must not be built very well if they can not handle a 1.5 foot drop onto thick carpet (soft). BTW, his replacement Droid did the exact same thing (without being dropped at all) and was replaced as well. I don't think they have a secure method of attaching the screen to the phone. Just my opinion of course.
  3. Sweed

Sweed Well-Known Member

yes well, it's not under warrantee.
    it was purchased used on ebay.