Screen jumps all over the place with no touch...Support

1. phositadc

phositadc Well-Known Member

Major disappointment, and I haven't seen anybody else complain of this so hopefully I am the only one...

Got my Incredible, charged it, and started using it about an hour ago. About 10 minutes ago, the phone just started jumping around as if I were using the touch screen. Right now, I have it sitting flat on my desk, and the home screens are scrolling all over the place as if I am running my finger all over the touch screen.

Very, very strange. Does the same thing in apps sometimes.

Anybody have any ideas?

And for the record, I have not installed anything or done anything except set up Gmail.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Squintz82

Squintz82 Well-Known Member

Wish I could help, but once most people in this forum receive their phone, you'll have a better chance and troubleshooting ;)
  3. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

Try a battery pull.
  4. superchaos

superchaos Well-Known Member

Do a calibration
  5. zanza

zanza Well-Known Member

did you spill any chocolate milk on the device?
    TrickyRicky likes this.
  6. phositadc

Yeah... thanks. This is my first touch phone, so I was hoping maybe someone with a touch phone (Incredible or otherwise) could shed some light.

Like I said, nobody in the reviews said anything about this, so hopefully mine was just screwing up momentarily and will start acting normal again. Or at least, hopefully mine will be the only one that has this issue.

I'll report back in a bit to update whether it keeps happening.
  7. fish2587

fish2587 Well-Known Member

haven't had that prob w mine yet but thanks for letting us know!
  8. Bundy

Bundy Well-Known Member

Have you pulled the battery? I'm a BB user for now until my Inc comes - is that even something you do with Androids?
  9. phositadc

G-sensor calibration?

I did that, and at first it didn't seem to do anything. Then I turned the phone off, turned it back on, did another G-sensor calibration, and it seems to be working ok for the past 10 minutes.
  10. 150_cav

150_cav Well-Known Member

are you using the O.E.M. charger (the one that come in the box)

i see this all too often, if you use a cheap charger on these touch screens, it messes them up
  11. phositadc

Yep, used the charger that came in the HTC box.
  12. dbrits

dbrits Well-Known Member

It's not that I don't believe you, but why? I've never owned a touchscreen phone, so I have no idea what the correlation is between a cheap charger and the touchscreen going wonky.
  13. jpallen77

jpallen77 Well-Known Member

This happened to my eris a few times. Batt pull was necessary cause all buttons locked up as well. Not a regular need to batt pull on android like on BBs. G-sensor calibration and it hasnt done it since. hope this helps.:D
  14. AcePuppy

AcePuppy Well-Known Member

Find this hard to believe, I've gone through 3 touch screens with no issues on OEM chargers. What is your reasoning for this?
  15. w0rdie

w0rdie Well-Known Member

Its not the screen, the trackpad is being activated.

I bet it is always scrolling right or left.. as in one or the other, yeah?
  16. phositadc

Yep, it would scroll mostly to the left.

Have you seen this?

Edit: Oh, but the button never seemed to actually push... it would just scroll, never select.
  17. BoozeRob

BoozeRob Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Ghost. I would move :)
    Mike_B and Vihzel like this.
  18. w0rdie

w0rdie Well-Known Member

All you can try is some alcohol on a Q-Tip.. clean the sensor (battery out) then boot back up and see how it goes.

If that doesn't work -- I'd head to your (biggest) local store and try to make them give you one of the stocked Incredibles citing your preorder, etc as grounds for the special treatment (as in you not having to wait for mail order or Friday for 'release').
    phositadc and jwjohnson like this.
  19. phositadc

Thanks. I'll give it a try. I haven't even used the trackpad so I'm not sure why it would have started messing up. And at any rate, it hasn't messed up in awhile, so I can wait until Thursday to try for an exchange if necessary...
  20. w0rdie

w0rdie Well-Known Member

Use the 'Thanks' button if you mean it.

I hope it works out.
  21. FunkyBoss

FunkyBoss Well-Known Member

Maybe the ghost spilled the milk?
    BoozeRob likes this.
  22. AcePuppy

AcePuppy Well-Known Member

Regardless if it occurred, it's something that should not have, as it is either a hardware or software error (most likely software). Report it to Verizon and if you can repeat what happened to them even better.
  23. jamor

jamor Well-Known Member

Are you sure you aren't telepathic? I suggest you go in for some readings and diagnosis. Just don't start playing with my Incredible okay?
    NNN and Vihzel like this.
  24. w0rdie

w0rdie Well-Known Member

lol
  25. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

Try a factory reset if the battery pulls and everything else people are mentioning still don't work. That would be another thing that would reset the software.. It's under settings - just forgot where exactly. Try that though.. Hope it gets worked out bud!