Screen Lock / Phone lock at the end of a call?Support

Last Updated:

1. PhxDroid

PhxDroid Member This Topic's Starter

At the conclusion of a phone call when I pull the phone away from my ear, the phone will not automatically turn on so I can hit the end button. When I try to press any of the fixed buttons the phone doesn't respond. When I try to press the power button the screen still stays black.

It is stock, I had loaded another dialer, but have unistalled it. I have pulled the battery several times.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this user error on my part being used to how the evo responds? Suggestions to trouble shoot besides doing a full wipe?

Thanks in advance.....

Advertisement
  2. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

That has not happened to me. My proximity censor works great.

3. daman7676

daman7676 Well-Known Member

My wife just got this phone and she experience the same problem. She made a call to an automated phone service and needed to press "1". The screen was blacked out and she was unable to get the screen to turn on at all.

I was able to recreate the problem. I had to pull the battery and restart the phone to get the screen to turn back on. Also, I don't think this phone has a proximity sensor (especially since it doesn't even have a simple notification light built in).

Anyone else experiencing this problem while making a call?

4. waylonrobert

waylonrobert Member

I haven't had this problem. Usually after a few seconds of the device being away from my ear it will light up and I can end the call or select the dialpad. It's not instant though.

5. jen8112

jen8112 Well-Known Member

YES the Optimus S DOES have a proximity sensor. If it is not working for you then you may need to bring it in to Sprint to take a look at it.

daman7676 likes this.
  6. daman7676

Thanks everyone. For some reason I thought it didn't have a proximity sensor. I know there's an update that needs to be installed so we'll do that first and see if it helps.

7. daman7676

Went to Sprint and got it replaced. Now it's working the way it should. Woohoo!

8. gilbequick

gilbequick Well-Known Member

No notification light, but it does have a proximity sensor. When making a call pull the phone from your ear and after the screen lights up put your finger up to the top left part of the screen, it'll black out...that's the prox sensor.

I had the blackout on the phone happen once to me, but for me it was when I was using the speakerphone. The battery had to be pulled. Never happened again, hopefully it won't!

9. msc43283

msc43283 Member

It's happened once to me....Phone seemed to still work, other than black screen....I had a phone call come through during the blackout, couldnt answer or get it out of blackout, had to pull battery.

ETA: One thing I did notice after playing with the phone trying to recreate the blackout. It is working fine now, but it seems to me that the proximity sensor works off of light. The reason I say this is because I was touching the upper left corner during a call like someone mentioned above and I noticed that the phone blacks out an inch or so before I touch that spot. I was in a dark area when it blacked out on me before...Could dark conditions cause it to black out? I'm no techno nerd, so pardon my ignorance.

10. wink0114

wink0114 New Member

I began having this issue a month and a half after getting my Optimus S. After a second visit to Sprint they found that there was some dirt and buildup on top of the proximity sensor (which is in the upper left corner of the screen). I have a screen protector on it and the buildup was on the edge of the protector. This was causing the phone to always keep the screen off when making a call. After cleaning the face off really well it has been working perfectly.

So make sure the screen is clean before trying anything else.

11. bhoth

bhoth Member

My wife's Optimus S does the same thing!

12. lil'rocket

lil'rocket New Member

that happen to me when i got my cell rooted :/
    then i got my cell unrooted back and by 3 days my cell was functioning fine again .

13. apinkel

apinkel Well-Known Member

I have not had this problem... I'm wondering if the default dialer got changed when you installed a new dialer, then when that dialer got un-installed the default dialer setting didn't get reverted back to the stock dialer (this is just a guess). Does anyone know how to view/change the default dialer?

Also, just an fyi... the Opt S does have a proximity sensor (used to turn the screen off when you bring the phone up to your face) but it does not have an ambient light sensor (which is typically used to automatically set the screen brightness based on ambient light).