• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen lock.. Pin vs password?

Robert7107

Android Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2011
cameron park ca
Looking to use screen lock for my note 3..
Which is better a pin or password?

How many tries are given on either and once the attempts have been used what security features go into effect? How is it reversed.... Example if child gets a hold of phone and tries to unlock it how do i get it unlocked after it has been lock out completely???

Not finding a lot of info about this ....

Well I suppose "better" is subjective but at least from a security perspective the password is best as it provides the most possibilities to someone trying to guess it. Depending on complexity it is also slower to enter and more prone to error.

Personally I use a PIN which I can enter as fast as pattern (in fact my PIN is formed from a pattern) but is more secure (no smear to be seen to give it away or worry about erasing) although still not as secure as a password. It is acceptable compromise to me.

I also use the app Safe Areas to disable the lock screen when connected to certain Wifi and bluetooth devices which minimizes my need to enter the PIN.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones