• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen longevity on our phones?

Divine_Madcat

Android Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2010
USA
So, i have been doing some reading, but cannot find any solid answers that really pertain to us.

Right now, our phone's screens are beautiful, but i am wondering how long we can expect them to stay that way. AMOLED suffers from two (potential) issues -
1) Burn in
2) Pixel fading

In regards to #1, it is a worry given how static some of the things on our screens are, like the top right chunks of the notifcation bar. The 3G icon, signal bars, and time (especially AM/PM) don't change that much, and seem like a good candidate for burn-in. In reading, i think i even found a few people that said the "M" in AM/PM was already burning in. Short of rooting, is there anything that can change the bar to help it avoid burn in?

In regards to two, i know that the AMOLED pixels will fade over time, especially blue first. Is there any documentation on just how long these Sammy OLED's will actually last? I have a feeling that personally, it should last the lifetime of the phone (hopefully a year, if not two), but I cant help but be curious...

Ive never heard of LED/LCD burn in before. Got a link?
LCD Image Persistence

to the OP. LED's have (or should have) a much higher resistance to burn in than LCD screens. What I'm worried about more is LED's starting to go out... I'm pretty sure that the technology is good enough to keep that from happening.

plus thats why i got extended warranty on it...:p

Upvote 0
LCD Image Persistence

to the OP. LED's have (or should have) a much higher resistance to burn in than LCD screens. What I'm worried about more is LED's starting to go out... I'm pretty sure that the technology is good enough to keep that from happening.

plus thats why i got extended warranty on it...:p
Thanks for the link but it pretty much says what I though, LCDs LEDs dont get burn in...

Is it permanent?

In most cases, no
Having said that, it is possible that the crystals could get a permanent memory if the screen image does not change at all and the screen is left on all the time. It is very unlikely for a consumer to have this happen as it is more likely to happen in a fixed display
Can it be prevented/corrected?

Yes, image persistence on LCD screens can be corrected in most cases and is easily prevented. Prevention of image persistence can be done through some of the following methods:

1. Set the screen to turn off after a few minutes of screen idle time under the Power functions in Windows. Turning the monitor display off will prevent an image from being displayed on the screen for extended periods of time. Of course, this could be annoying to some people as the screen may go off more than they wish.
So unless your phone stays on ALL day and never sleeps ever, I dont think this would ever be a problem

Upvote 0
So, i have been doing some reading, but cannot find any solid answers that really pertain to us.

Right now, our phone's screens are beautiful, but i am wondering how long we can expect them to stay that way. AMOLED suffers from two (potential) issues -
1) Burn in
2) Pixel fading

In regards to #1, it is a worry given how static some of the things on our screens are, like the top right chunks of the notifcation bar. The 3G icon, signal bars, and time (especially AM/PM) don't change that much, and seem like a good candidate for burn-in. In reading, i think i even found a few people that said the "M" in AM/PM was already burning in. Short of rooting, is there anything that can change the bar to help it avoid burn in?

Where did you see about the burn in? lcd/led are not supposed to have this problem i have had many tvs that were lcd and also plasma was what caused the burn in am i wrong?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The same type of concerns with Plasma TV's apply to AMOLED screens... But I agree with clarson, by the time it becomes an issue, you will have a new phone...

There was a motorola flip phone a few years back that had an early gen OLED display that suffered with burn-out before its EOL.. Have not heard of any since...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones