Screen longevity on our phones?General

Last Updated:

1. Divine_Madcat

Divine_Madcat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, i have been doing some reading, but cannot find any solid answers that really pertain to us.

Right now, our phone's screens are beautiful, but i am wondering how long we can expect them to stay that way. AMOLED suffers from two (potential) issues -
    1) Burn in
    2) Pixel fading

In regards to #1, it is a worry given how static some of the things on our screens are, like the top right chunks of the notifcation bar. The 3G icon, signal bars, and time (especially AM/PM) don't change that much, and seem like a good candidate for burn-in. In reading, i think i even found a few people that said the "M" in AM/PM was already burning in. Short of rooting, is there anything that can change the bar to help it avoid burn in?

In regards to two, i know that the AMOLED pixels will fade over time, especially blue first. Is there any documentation on just how long these Sammy OLED's will actually last? I have a feeling that personally, it should last the lifetime of the phone (hopefully a year, if not two), but I cant help but be curious...

Advertisement
  2. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Well-Known Member

Ive never heard of LED/LCD burn in before. Got a link?

3. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that LCD/LCD-LED was darn near impossible to get screen burn-in on - and that even if it did happen it wasn't at all permanent if you just changed images for a short time.

4. mihneagabriel

mihneagabriel Well-Known Member

LCD Image Persistence

to the OP. LED's have (or should have) a much higher resistance to burn in than LCD screens. What I'm worried about more is LED's starting to go out... I'm pretty sure that the technology is good enough to keep that from happening.

plus thats why i got extended warranty on it...:p

5. Dsoto87

Dsoto87 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link but it pretty much says what I though, LCDs LEDs dont get burn in...

So unless your phone stays on ALL day and never sleeps ever, I dont think this would ever be a problem

6. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

7. Divine_Madcat

8. clarson

clarson Member

You will get a new phone before you have to worry about it imo.

9. CheezWiz

CheezWiz Well-Known Member

The same type of concerns with Plasma TV's apply to AMOLED screens... But I agree with clarson, by the time it becomes an issue, you will have a new phone...

There was a motorola flip phone a few years back that had an early gen OLED display that suffered with burn-out before its EOL.. Have not heard of any since...

10. lvlln

lvlln Well-Known Member

Even modern plasma TVs are virtually impervious to burn-in, anyway. It was a relevant problem 3 years ago, but technology has come a long way since then.

11. Divine_Madcat

Thanks for the reply's guys. :)

If nothing else, if it does have any burn out in the year, we can always claim warranty coverage too. :)