• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen mirroring

thequeenscheese

Android Expert
Nov 8, 2010
Why can't I screen mirror my sgs5 UK version with my WiFi Samsung TV (ps51d550) I can send films and pictures via the allshare icon when watching or viewing them but screen mirroring does not detect my TV so I cannot watch embedded Web videos etc..
Any ideas?

I've used twonky in the past but it seems as tho this should just work?

Your TV supports DLNA - a client for static content - and your phone supports that with a server. Twonky is a UPNP server - UPNP is the standard DLNA protocol.

Live screen casting isn't static and won't fit in to that model.

There are 3 options -

Miracast, the Jellybean promise, used by a few devices like the Roku box or Amazon TV Firestick. I have no idea how many phones still support this without outside app help.

Chromecast, the newer alternative. Works better than Miracast, more devices supported.

Private casting protocols using proprietary dongles. To date, I believe that only Samsung and HTC have fielded these. More expensive than Chromecast by far, performs no better, and probably a technology dead end because they cost more and do less.

With the exception of the latter category, it's possible to get content on your phone that won't cast - although - it's hard to get into that predicament if you know what's supported.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: AMOCO
Upvote 0
But surely if I can send a film to the TV without any other apps then the image of a Web page should be just as simple to send for the device and the TV to receive at the end of the day it's only an image like a pic or a film which is multiple images in sequence
You're not following at all.

Start with DLNA again. Aka for Samsung - Allshare.

Take a screen shot of your web page.

Now you have a picture to send, not before, because now you have a picture file.

With DLNA, you only have files.

Just like sending files to your Google Drive or Dropbox or to your PC.

With DLNA, you make certain files available from your phone and the TV - if it understands them - transfers the files and shows them - whether pictures or a movie.

Just like your pc - after it gets files from your phone, it shows them.

And if DLNA isn't built in to your phone, you need an app for that.

That part you have working.

Miracast devices and Chromecast, plugged into your TV, take live feeds of your screen from apps that project your screen to the device.

In addition, Chromecast can also deal with files, similarly to DLNA - with a different app. Also, Chromecast takes feeds from services like Netflix.

Samsung makes an Allshare device - not what's built in to your TV - that also takes a live screen feed from a Samsung phone.

If you want to feed your screen live, you need a device for that.

There's no third way.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMOCO
Upvote 0
You're on the right track but there's a catch and it's a big one.

A movie file - say, one that ends in .mp4 - is what the media folks call a container.

Inside, there are basically two other files - one consists of the video stream and the other is audio.

The container begins by explaining what its contents are - and that makes sense because one container type (like our mp4 example) can contain many different types of video or audio streams in many different combinations.

The catch is - the container can't explain what it has until the contents are all there and it can't do that because the end of the contents are going to be in the future.
I'm betting that as soon as you pull up a movie file on your TV that it shows you how long it is and lets you fast forward, yes?

Even though the whole huge movie hasn't been packed into your TV's tiny memory, it can do that because of the container information.

Maybe someone, someday, will be clever enough to fool the TV on that with some mock container and a broken fast forward.

Never say never but - that would be quite a project.

And that's where these different devices and dongles come in - they accept streams and know how to keep the two synchronized so that the lips match the words if you follow my meaning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones