• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen on/off based on GPS state

quipstad

Lurker
Jun 1, 2012
I am using an old original Droid as a HUD for my car, which I am trying to fully automate.

My GPS always stays on, but it goes idle when I'm not moving for a while. I'd like an app that would automatically turn the screen off when it goes idle and turns back on when I start moving again.

Is this possible? I don't know if the GPS "idle" is something that is traceable by a program or if it just sort of - happens.

I am using an old original Droid as a HUD for my car, which I am trying to fully automate.

My GPS always stays on, but it goes idle when I'm not moving for a while. I'd like an app that would automatically turn the screen off when it goes idle and turns back on when I start moving again.

Is this possible? I don't know if the GPS "idle" is something that is traceable by a program or if it just sort of - happens.

I do believe this is possible by continuously retrieving the GPU location and checking to see if it is equivalent to the last recorded place.

If you provide a little bit more information for how you want this app to behave/look/operate, I will gladly make it for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones