screen orientation

Last Updated:

1. edboo

edboo New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Got a desire today and ......well not too sure, previously had an iphone and seemed easier to find my way round it. Now to the problem, I have enabled the screen orientation mode in settings but when I turn the phone on its side it stays the same, any suggestions appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. PARAD0X

PARAD0X Well-Known Member

Not all screens rotate, An example would be the phones desktops - they don't. Where were u in the phone when you were trying to rotate?

3. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

Also they only rotate counter clockwise for now.

4. edboo

edboo New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the assistance :) sorted....yep turning the phone the wrong way:rolleyes:

5. DaddyCee

DaddyCee Well-Known Member

Don't worry I did the same thing when I got mine as well.

6. dajomel

dajomel Well-Known Member

As an additional note, you can get the "desktop" screens to go into landscape by using another home launcher such as ADW Launcher and LauncherPro Beta. They give you the capability to do so if that's what you want.

7. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Does that negate the use of sense altogether?

8. dajomel

Yes. It's a whole different launcher/home. Does also mean you cannot use HTC widgets so if there are any you use, you'll need to find alternatives on the Market.

9. wavemeister

wavemeister Active Member

It is not as smooth to turn though as the iphone. Sometimes mine turns easily, other times I have to turn it sharply to rotate the screen

10. dajomel

Strange, I've not had any issues with rotation on mine. Seems to turn as and when I want tho occassionally when I don't when I am a bit lazy holding it LOL

You'll possibly find that it can be App related too.

11. flcusat

flcusat Member

For me it is really annoying, the screen only rotates 20% of the time at best. I looked for any settings for this but the only one I found it is to turn the feature on or off. I found a setting under the internet browser to set it fix to landscape, and I put to that for now, but the rest of the screens that can rotate is a hit or miss.

12. Ten10

Ten10 Well-Known Member

Perhaps try calibrating the G sensor?

Go to settings -> Sound & display -> G-Sensor calibration and follow the on screen instructions

13. ace977977

ace977977 New Member

Mine rotates waay smoother and faster than the wifes 3GS. Are you sure you are "standing it up" it wont rotate if lying on a desk, stand it up for a sec.

14. ianm2k4

ianm2k4 Active Member

Yeah.. that is stupid. Could there be any reason why it cant do both directions. ... There are iPhone apps that will do this and 180 degrees...

15. Eugene's Mac

Eugene's Mac Well-Known Member

Why would you want to rotate it to 180'? also what is the issue with Clockwise & counter? Sure the counter clockwise is quite sufficient as turning clockwise while using plugged in headphones, would just make holding the device uncomfortable. Using my iPhone I also only used the one direction that was most comfortable given the Headphone jack. Also what would be the solution other than disabling auto rotate if you wished to view an image or document that for whatever reason may be upside down? This is one specific why I like the rotate on the Desire more than that of my iPhone.

16. damianpadden

damianpadden Member

with the new psxdroid emulator having the track ball on the left in landscape mode is better than on the right. It then makes it feel like a controller.

full screen rotation has to happen.

Damo

17. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Full screen rotation would be a royal pain in the backside for me. I use the phone in bed in the evenings for checking the days news, and I can happily lie on my side with the assurance the screen will stay in a legible orientation. Unidirectional rotation is more than good enough unless you have a particular need to have the buttons on the left or use the phone upside down, which most people don't.