Screen: Plastic, Glass?

Last Updated:

1. ma3a20

ma3a20 Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone know what material the screen is made of?

Advertisement
  2. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a phone that has a screen made out of glass....

So I'd assume plastic....

3. AdamHC

AdamHC Well-Known Member

What's the screen used on the iPhone? I thought it was glass.

I'm not sure, but I thought that all capacative touchsreens (like the hero) are made out of glass. Resistive screens (like on all the Windows Mobile phones) are plastic for sure.

EDIT: I just quickly checked wikipedia and it said:
    So yea, the Hero does have a glass screen.

_

4. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

Heh....That's something I didn't know...

There's my schooling of the day...

5. rsquigley

rsquigley Member

Both the iPhone and the blackberry storm have glass screens, but the g1 and the magic have plastic screens. Id guess that the hero being an HTC will have a plastic screen. The Samsung galaxy has a glass screen.

6. ma3a20

Thanks for your comments. I guess I will just have to wait a little bit to confirm.

7. olivierm

olivierm Well-Known Member

I have seen a few cracked iphone screens around so maybe it's not such a good idea. But glass should resist scratches a lot better than plastic.

8. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

Tell that to my dinning room table! We don't put anything on it without a cloth or rubber backing and we still keep getting scratches. We gave up and got a nice tablecloth, but I would have to disagree with glass being more scratch resistant.

9. AdamHC

AdamHC Well-Known Member

No sir, glass is definitly more scratch resistant than plastic. Thats why we make windows out of glass rather than plastic even though crertain plastics are stronger and lighter than glass. If your table was made of plastic instead I bet you would get more scratches.

About the screen of the Magic etc being made of plastic, I was just basing that on what wikipedia said in that quote I stated in my other post.

To be honest, I would prefer a glass screen over a plastic one. My old iPod Touch had a glass screen (the same as the iPhone) and was very scratch resistant, i would leave it in my pocket with keys and not get any deep scratches. I did notice after a while that if I tilted it to the right angle I could see little scratches. But if I put any of my other phones through that they would have come out far worse. I'm really careful with my HTC Diamond which has a plastic screen and yet I have managed to cover the scrreen in scratches :(

10. Mansn

Mansn Well-Known Member

11. ma3a20

I looked it up and the G1 and Magic have glass screens. This makes it very likely that the Hero has a glass screen too. Glass just feels so much better to me, I also agree with it's durability and hardness and prefer it over plastic quite a lot. Makes the build quality feel better too :)

I also have a glass table which I use everyday for the last three years; there is no scratch to be found.

12. alsnoturpal

alsnoturpal Member

I work at a Sprint repair shop and Ive seen a few cracked HTC Hero screens, the crack the same way the iphone screens do but the Hero screen are actually really good at resisting scratches so Im guessing it is glass

13. Boyne Shark

Boyne Shark Member

My Hero screen "appears" to be made of glass, the same as my sons iPhone, which I managed to replace last year after an accident. If I remember, it had a plastic film on it too which may confuse or give the appearence of a plastic screen.

14. mojo151

mojo151 Member

isn't the hero made of gorilla glass the same as the iphone, I've taken a razor blade too it without it taking a scratch same as my old ipod touch so i assume it it.