• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Protector discussion

Which Screen Protector is your favourite?

• Anymode Oleophobic

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Pro-Tec

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • MFX 5-in-1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin Fields

• Case-Mate Anti-Glare

• Zagg Invisible Shield

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • 3M Scotch Film Lite Matte

• 3M Scotch Film Lite

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Rock Anti-Fingerprint

• Terrapin

• Kolay

• FoneM8

• Vikuiti CV8 by 3M

• Vikuiti ADQC27 by 3M

• Vikuiti DQC160 by 3M

• GadgetinBox

• BAAS Matte Clear (Anti-Glare)

• Trizmo Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • MOFRED

• Steinheil

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • XO Skins

• Skinomi

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
Can anyone with the SGP Steinheil Curved Crystal confirm whether it has the indentation problem as seen in the YouTube review by 'TheAngelofmusic1989'? It won't let me post a link here, but if you go to YouTube and type 'curved crystal review', it's the 4th one down. You can see the issue at the 2:55 mark.

This looks like it could be a major issue after the protector has been on there a while.

As far as indentations? Yes, I can attest to the accuracy of her statement. If you use your nail, you're going to put a permanent mark/indentation on the protector. I would imagine using a stylus would be a bad idea.

As far as the bubbling she experienced with a fresh install, I think she rushed it a bit. Even though she eventually got the bubbles out, I didn't have that problem. I essentially had a large bubble in the middle that I easily worked out. Install is incredibly easy.

She did say something about the adhesive separating and a bubble forming associated with the indentation. I have not seen that. I think that may be because she used her nail on a fresh install. I'm very gentle with my protectors for the first 48 hours. I've only got a couple indentations and they're clearly where I used my nail. Otherwise I clip my nails, so it's not an issue.

Everything else she had to say about it are true: fit, clarity, etc.

Upvote 0
I'm really split between three Steinheil protectors; the Curved Crystal, the Ultra Nano Clear and the Ultra Nano Optics. The indentation issue with the Curved Crystal could become annoying after a while; the Ultra Nano Clear seems very prone to scratches, and the Ultra Nano Optics I don't know that much about, but it may not be much different to the Ultra Nano in terms of the scratching. I don't want a protector that scratches super easy, as I don't want to be staring at scratches all the time lol! But I really want one that helps with the fingerprints, as I have a Martin Fields one on there at the moment and that's just annoying the hell out of me with how often I have to wipe it down.

Upvote 0
I'm really split between three Steinheil protectors; the Curved Crystal, the Ultra Nano Clear and the Ultra Nano Optics. The indentation issue with the Curved Crystal could become annoying after a while; the Ultra Nano Clear seems very prone to scratches, and the Ultra Nano Optics I don't know that much about, but it may not be much different to the Ultra Nano in terms of the scratching. I don't want a protector that scratches super easy, as I don't want to be staring at scratches all the time lol! But I really want one that helps with the fingerprints, as I have a Martin Fields one on there at the moment and that's just annoying the hell out of me with how often I have to wipe it down.
In my experience, the Curved Crystal is incredible in it's ability to repel fingerprints. The only time I leave prints is if my fingers are dirty, and even then it's pretty minimal. I believe the indentation issue is a non-issue. The one that I have is only visible with the phone off and viewed at an angle. There are zero scratches after over a month of use.

Upvote 0
In my experience, the Curved Crystal is incredible in it's ability to repel fingerprints. The only time I leave prints is if my fingers are dirty, and even then it's pretty minimal. I believe the indentation issue is a non-issue. The one that I have is only visible with the phone off and viewed at an angle. There are zero scratches after over a month of use.
Thanks, that's good to know. Are you using a case? The Seidio Active one in that review seems a good match. I've got VERY tight TPU one at the moment which doesn't have much of a lip, so I think it would be quite likely to cause the curved crystal protector to bubble up.

Upvote 0
I have the Spigen Ultra Matte full body protector. I like the naked feel of the S3 more, coming off a plastic case.

Attachments

• samsung_galaxy_s3_incredible_shield-ultra_matte.jpg
    samsung_galaxy_s3_incredible_shield-ultra_matte.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 0
This website makes very interesting claims for its screen protectors:

Just Like Glass Screen Protectors
1. The most optically clear film on the market which allows you to enjoy the full HD experience on your phone.
2. They repel oils, ink, makeup, grime, and strong chemicals.
3. They have the lowest light distortion. (Third Party Laboratory Tested)
4. They will never stain, haze, or cloud.
5. They will never have the "Orange Peel" of other screen protectors.
6. They are "Smoother than Glass". They have such a flat finish that the surface friction is less. This makes them 20% smoother than the actual glass.
7. There is no plastic feel at all. It's like touching glass.
8. They are the only film you can get that is not only scratch resistant but also resistant to screen breakage. The film increases the break resistance of the glass by 35%.
9. The film will last the longest of any on the market. Testing showed that while a regular screen protector shows wear after 345 uses while Just Like Glass

Upvote 0

i just won a free one through their facebook sweepstakes. ill let you all know if it lives up to its claims (besides the strength one, im not testing that :p).

Looks tempting...let us know how you like it, please.

Upvote 0

got my protector in the mail a couple days ago, but ive been hesitant to put it on. the way its cut, it just barely covers the part of the glass over the screen (the website says there is a "New Full Cut Now Available!"), and im pretty sure that would bother me. i frequently use a few functions that require me to swipe my finger/hand from the very edge of the screen. i also didnt take the time to read carefully enough to realize that its a wet apply, and im not all too keen on purposefully getting my phone wet (i know many people do this with no problems but that doesnt mean i want to)

Upvote 0
got my protector in the mail a couple days ago, but ive been hesitant to put it on. the way its cut, it just barely covers the part of the glass over the screen (the website says there is a "New Full Cut Now Available!"), and im pretty sure that would bother me. i frequently use a few functions that require me to swipe my finger/hand from the very edge of the screen. i also didnt take the time to read carefully enough to realize that its a wet apply, and im not all too keen on purposefully getting my phone wet (i know many people do this with no problems but that doesnt mean i want to)

Ditto that scooter! Mine is still sitting on my dresser for the same reasons.

Upvote 0
I just bought the full cover armorsuit for my samsung galaxy s3. From my previous mistakes with bodygaurdz on my ipod touch, I was able to (after 2hrs) perfectly apply the film on my phone. So far it has no problems, but marks in it that should be "self-healed" do tend to stay on there for a little bit and are pretty easy to get nicked back in again. I would also recommend trying your best to also keep the film from hanging over any edges because dust and dirt particles will stick on it pretty quick and though it doesnt pile up so much, if you're any bit ocd like I am, it may get on your nerves.

One problem that I have to say with the type of film I got was the fact that it attracts and leaves oils on the screen quite a lot. It distorts the image of the screen and is very hard to get off. I would buy a different film for the screen itself because of this. Otherwise the rest of the film does its job quite nicely.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I usually don't use screen protectors, but I have a few bucks left on a gift card I'd like to get rid of. I've read all ten pages of this thread and I don't think I've seen these TechArmor ones mentioned. Good price and good reviews on Amazon. Anybody have any insight on these?

Tech Armor HD Clear Screen Protectors with Lifetime Replacement Warranty for Samsung Galaxy S3 S III Smartphone [3-PACK]:Amazon:Cell Phones & Accessories

I've got a package of the anti-glare that I havent used yet. I bought them at the same time as my new otterbox commuter. i installed the protector from that first and it isn't very good. The edges peeled from the moment it went, fortunately the case keeps anything from catching it and peeling right off.

The packaging for the techarmor is very proffesional and it includes a large piece of tape to get any dust out along with the usual squeegee and cloth. I'll post my opinion a few weeks after install

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

i just won a free one through their facebook sweepstakes. ill let you all know if it lives up to its claims (besides the strength one, im not testing that :p).

Did you decide against trying this out? I'm curious how accurate those claims are. Sounds almost too good to be true.

Upvote 0
I tried resisting using a screen protector, as I despise them.

But preserving the longevity of my mint glass screen made me rethink it. And although I try not to make it top priority, eventual resale is always in the back of my mind. A phone that's always in a case and always screen protected stays cosmetically uncompromised for a pretty long time.

Now using the Spigen Ultra Nano Clear. I still hate screen protectors, but this one is pretty nice. You can't really see it. It's not too tacky. Actually it's barely tacky, just not as smooth as glass.

I don't like how finger oils leave a rainbow blotch depending on lighting. Finger oils are actually a little harder to get off the screen protector than they are from the naked glass.

But all in all I'll be sticking with this one. Spigen seem to make really nice stuff.

Upvote 0
There seems to be a sweet spot in screen protector use. It starts out kind of tacky and gets greasy, then the tackiness goes away and it is smooth and fairly oil and fingerprint resistant z, and then at the end of its lifespan it gets lots of microscratches and gets really oily and is very difficult to wipe clean.

Upvote 0
Posted earlier on this thread.
I'm going to just quote what I wrote

Hey there. I just created an account since I got my SGS3 recently. This will be my cherry popping post.

I picked up a case off Amazon called Rearth Ringke. It's like a slim snap-on case with a matte finish. I bought both the white and black cases to try out. I ended up using the black case, the one with matte finish, because the white one felt a bit too slippery. I really like the way the case feels and looks. It's ultra slim, but provides a really sleek look and it fits like perfectly. I've actually dropped my phone, in this short amount of time, more times than I'd like to admit. The case has a few blemishes, but my phone is completely intact - although that just might be the phone being a brick as well.

I also tried a few different screen protectors out. My first screen protector was a random brand I picked up off Amazon as well. It was the three-pack price effective protectors. I didn't really like the feel very much, but it did its job. I ended doing a bit more research and a friend recommended checking out the brand Armorsuit. The protector isn't cheap (price-wise), but it's definitely a fair price - just a little bit cheaper than Zagg (my original option). It's actually a wet application, so I was a bit confused at first. I ended up watching some of their instructional videos and the installation was cake. It's been a few weeks and this protector still looks pretty good. Any time I "scratch" it, the marks go away after awhile. I'm actually pretty happy with this.

I read through some of the posts people have made. To be honest, I think you can definitely go without using a case or protector for the S3; it SHOULD be okay. However, one nasty drop might cause some scratches on the phone. I think the screen itself can sustain some serious punishment, but the back of the phone can get scratched up pretty easily. My girlfriend's S3 already has some scratches because she didn't want to use the case at first, but quickly changed her mind.

I've heard good things about the spigen as well. I was definitely thinking about trying that protector next.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones