Screen Protector discussionTips

Which Screen Protector is your favourite?

1. Anymode Oleophobic

2 vote(s)
  2. Pro-Tec

3 vote(s)
  3. MFX 5-in-1

0 vote(s)
  4. Martin Fields

3 vote(s)
  5. Case-Mate Anti-Glare

3 vote(s)
  6. Zagg Invisible Shield

63 vote(s)
  7. 3M Scotch Film Lite Matte

0 vote(s)
  8. 3M Scotch Film Lite

1 vote(s)
  9. Rock Anti-Fingerprint

0 vote(s)
  10. Terrapin

0 vote(s)
  11. Kolay

0 vote(s)
  12. FoneM8

0 vote(s)
  13. Vikuiti CV8 by 3M

0 vote(s)
  14. Vikuiti ADQC27 by 3M

0 vote(s)
  15. Vikuiti DQC160 by 3M

0 vote(s)
  16. GadgetinBox

0 vote(s)
  17. BAAS Matte Clear (Anti-Glare)

0 vote(s)
  18. Trizmo Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint

4 vote(s)
  19. MOFRED

4 vote(s)
  20. Steinheil

49 vote(s)
  21. XO Skins

4 vote(s)
  22. Skinomi

8 vote(s)

Last Updated:

1. HM08

HM08 Active Member

Coins, keys, scratches, fingerprints, etc.

2. tnedator

tnedator Well-Known Member

Maybe, but if you google gorilla glass and screen protector you will find a LOT of forum posts from people with phones that had gorilla glass and got scratched and those people saying from now on they will always use a screen protector.

The question is how much better GG2 is and is it just that it's thinner/lighter, or is it also more scratch resistant.

Out of curiosity, I removed my screen protector from my Atrix in March, and since then have not gotten a scratch. I keep it in my pocket, but typically don't have anything else in that pocket that would scratch a screen, so it hasn't been exposed to much.
  3. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

I had my Galaxy S2 from September 2011 until today (sold it today) - it didn't have a single scratch. Never had a screen protector for it.

I keep my phone in one pocket and wallet, keys etc in the other.

I think gg2 is just thinner and lighter. That's all they mentioned when they introduced it.
  4. POC3442

POC3442 Well-Known Member

RagingSamster likes this.
  5. pixaro

pixaro Well-Known Member

Gorilla Glass does not need a screen protector
  6. mthoren68

mthoren68 Well-Known Member

Steinheil Steinheil Steinheil.

GALAXY S3 - Samsung - Cell Phones

Maybe Gorilla Glass doesn't NEED a screen protector, but if something that costs $14 and has zero effect on the usability of the phone (and mitigates smudges) is at all helpful in protecting something that will cost me $600 to replace, I say why the heck not?
  7. ardyer

ardyer Well-Known Member

How "rubbery" do their protectors feel? That is one of the things I don't like about the Zagg ones.

Also, I can state that my first captivate, which also had gorilla glass, was scratched. So don't discount the possibility.
  8. timelord65

timelord65 Well-Known Member

Your logic is impeccable. :)
    mthoren68 likes this.
  9. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Because the screen looks dull, most of them rubbish in daylight as they're highly reflective and the screen is really strong and easy to wipe fingerprints off anyway! Pretty sure it has an oleophobic coating :)
  10. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Zagg are terrible. I really have no idea how anyone uses them.

A Steinheill, or my personal preference, Realook, really feel like there's nothing there at all.

I still think the screen doesn't look as good as with no protector, but there are many choices that don't feel rubbery. Once a realook is on, you won't even realize it's there.
  11. 91Firebirder

91Firebirder Well-Known Member

I had a screen protector on my Dinc until a few months ago. My phone still has no scratches on it, however, I get annoyed else with the fingerprints and overall dirty look of the screen now that was not noticeable with the screen protector on. I plan on getting one for the S III again, I am just terrible putting them on and give up quickly. :(
  12. ouch1976

ouch1976 Well-Known Member

Gorilla Glass is great, though not totally unscratchable so a screen protector covers the 1% of the time that GG doesn't cover. But, another reason for adding a screen protector is that it actually helps in case the phone is dropped without a case on it. The screen protector can act like a big piece of tape holding the glass together minimizing the chance of shattering when dropped. At least that's what I saw in a video once...
    Theshape likes this.
  13. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

I to my friend am horrible at putting on screen protectors so I always just take them to Best Buy & have them put it on for me. Sometimes they charge you & sometimes they don't.
  14. mthoren68

I agree the Zaggs feel rubbery, that is one of the reasons I like the Steinheil. It feels 99% like the glass. Plus there are 3-4 options (at least there were for the Dinc) re: finish/appearance/primary function. And they go on dry/with no solution, unlike some others. I have the Crystal on my Dinc currently and love how it feels, and it does not diminish the quality of the display at all.
  15. mthoren68

Three hints for putting on a screen protector. 1) Watch a YouTube video. If you haven't put one on before, watching someone else do it is very helpful. 2) Do it in the bathroom after running the shower for a few minutes. It knocks the dust out of the air and makes it easier to appy the screen protector without getting anything caught between it and the screen. 3) TAKE YOUR TIME. I am an impatient bastard, but slowing down and taking your time on this one thing beats looking at your screen and gnashing your teeth for the next 1-2 years because you weren't careful and didn't get it on right.
  16. matt0715

matt0715 Well-Known Member

I don't like screen protectors. They feel weird and just annoy me. I'm just gonna get a case that doesn't let the glass ever touch the ground
  17. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

this is the best reason I have read so far in this thread for a screen protector.

Personally I never have anything else in my pocket with my phone - it has its own pocket, and I had my Desire for 2 years and never got a single scratch.
  18. ggraceg

ggraceg Active Member

I couldn't agree better! Always the best choice in having a screen protector film on any smart phones. I vouch for SGP Steinheil films as well! ;)
  19. ggraceg

ggraceg Active Member

but has anyone tried out their Steinheil Flex HD?? I purchased the Ultra Crystal and I'm curious as to what the diff is between the two.
  20. nicknab

nicknab Member

For anyone after a good screen protector try Xtreme

Here's the deal, add 3 items to your cart, during checkout, enter code big75 and get 75% off your total. I just placed an order for:

2 full body protectors and another screen protector Total: $6.25!!!
  21. Kneeoil

Kneeoil Active Member

The S3 uses Gorilla Glass 2 which although thinner, I don't believe it is any more scratch-resistant. I had a screen protector on my GalaxyS and removed it a few months back, and no scratches; still shiny & beautiful. I have a silicone cover that has kept it in great shape for 2 years!
  22. DahDee

DahDee Active Member

I feel the same way -- I know the display is *virtually* impervious, but if I can make the chance of damage substantially less likely without noticeably impacting performance, and at minimal cost, I'll do it. Very interesting theory on protector-as-tape... anybody want to test that? :D

Same here with my DInc, it always travels alone while my wallet and keys bunk together. :cool:

Awesome tip, thanks! Never thought of doing this, and dust is my nemesis. :mad:
  23. BaronOfBlood

BaronOfBlood Well-Known Member

24. Eryl Flynn

Eryl Flynn Well-Known Member

Keys, coins... they can't scratch the screen. Check your hardness scale and where most metal comes in, and where Gorilla glass is. You will find that most every day objects you think are a risk, can't do a darn thing to it.

Now what you should worry about is sand, or silica. Found at beaches, and in dirt. It is easy to get a little dirt somewhere and scratch that screen.

This is why you see all these videos of people running keys and such on their phones, they know it won't hurt it at least in most cases. I tend to roll with a protector, if you get a good one it keeps the screen in good shape and it is easier to replace than the screen.
    120inna55, GJade and bennybbc like this.
  25. rkkeller

rkkeller Well-Known Member

I have the iPhone 4S and can say that the Gorilla Glass is scratchable. I don't have a screen protector on it and have a couple small superficial scratches on it. Nothing major but no matter what videos you find, daily use can lead to scratches "sometimes".

I already ordered a screen protector for the S3.