• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Screen Protector discussion

Which Screen Protector is your favourite?

• Anymode Oleophobic

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Pro-Tec

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • MFX 5-in-1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Martin Fields

• Case-Mate Anti-Glare

• Zagg Invisible Shield

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • 3M Scotch Film Lite Matte

• 3M Scotch Film Lite

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Rock Anti-Fingerprint

• Terrapin

• Kolay

• FoneM8

• Vikuiti CV8 by 3M

• Vikuiti ADQC27 by 3M

• Vikuiti DQC160 by 3M

• GadgetinBox

• BAAS Matte Clear (Anti-Glare)

• Trizmo Anti-Glare & Anti-Fingerprint

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • MOFRED

• Steinheil

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • XO Skins

• Skinomi

Votes: 8 5.6%

• Total voters
but I've never had an uncovered screen before.

How ironic that my first phone to go without a protector is my most expensive one.
I was scared, too.
But you kind of go into a new level of carefulness knowing this. You automatically care for it as you would a vulnerable newborn child.
I just think plastic makes a $600 phone feel like a $100 entry level phone.

Upvote 0
Have to disagree. I compare it to putting a $500 clear-bra/3M film on a $60K BMW to prevent paint chips. Doesn't cheapen it. (NOT talking about those crap fabric ones that cause more damage than good)

Have to disagree. The only protector that could feel as luxurious as glass would be a screen protector made of glass. A plastic protector feels like... well, plastic.
Just my opinion.

Upvote 0
Ughh... I already have bought my screen protector for gs3 from sgp even if my phone is not here yet. I even opened up the package and very much excited about reviewing this product and writing product review on their website. Then I found this new product, which still prevents anti-fingerprints with the best clarity as Ultra Crystal. Not sure if I can return the opened package of screen protector. I kind of want this new screen protector.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Protector Steinheil Ultra Nano Clear - GALAXY S3 - Samsung - Cell Phones

Upvote 0
So I order the new nano screen protector from SGP Steinheil's website and signed up for a login there. Well they send me an email confirmation confirming my login but in the email they send my password in plain text which is a HUGE no no. That site has some very bad website security. Thank the gods they don't take credit card numbers.

http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/sa...een-protector-steinheil-ultra-nano-clear.html

Upvote 0
I agree, this should be moved to combine with the other thread.

I also just received my SGP Ultra Crystal protectors. However, as I read this 'New' screen protector hype it seems to contradict itself and lead one to believe that it works into the curved portion of the S3 display. Then there's the **fine print which states that it is cut shortof the curved edges. Of course it's not going to peel up from the curved area because it's not even over it.

As much as I like the SGP screen protectors, having them on my INC for the past two years and will continue to use them on my soon to be S3, I'm not really sure if there is anything new about this screen protector except the marketing package. To be fair though, I just ordered one of these to compare. I have two S3's coming from Verizon and will try one the old 'Ultra Crystal' and one of these new ones to compare. I'll follow up with my review in the future.

SGP specs: (see blue and red text with conflicting statements)

Ultra Nano Clear is made of soft and flexible material that precisely fits the display without lifting up on curved areas of screen.

The premium silicone adhesive reduces air bubbles during application. The adhesive does not damage or leave residue on the screen.

3. Resistance to scratches caused from daily use

Steinheil Ultra Nano Clear is hard coated to protect the screen from scratches caused from daily use. Also, Steinheil Ultra Nano Clear does not interfere with touch-screen responsiveness.

4. Oleophobic coating : Oil-resistance coating

Steinheil Ultra Nano Clear has an oil-resistant coating to resist smudges caused by oil, cosmetics and other contaminants while providing high clarity for the screen.

** This film is made slightly smaller than the LCD size to avoid bubbling, due to the curved glass surface of the Galaxy S3

Now this 'glass' one could be very interesting if it comes out for the S3

SPIGEN SGP Samsung Galaxy S2 Screen Protector Glas Series - Samsung - Cell Phones

Upvote 0
I emailed SGP about the Nano, and here was there response:

Thank you for your interest in our products! The new Steinheil Ultra Nano will be the same size as the Ultra Crystal Screen Protector. It is cut slightly smaller than the actual size of the screen. It will be a somewhat hard surfaace compared to the Flex HD, but not as hard as the original Ultra Series Screen Protector because the Ultra Nano is much thinner than the Ultra Series.

Upvote 0
Ughh... I already have bought my screen protector for gs3 from sgp even if my phone is not here yet. I even opened up the package and very much excited about reviewing this product and writing product review on their website. Then I found this new product, which still prevents anti-fingerprints with the best clarity as Ultra Crystal. Not sure if I can return the opened package of screen protector. I kind of want this new screen protector.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Protector Steinheil Ultra Nano Clear - GALAXY S3 - Samsung - Cell Phones

Merged your thread into this one. Sorry about any confusion.

Upvote 0
I just bought the SGP wet apply one off of amazon. I had one for my Galaxy Nexus and it was great, even after I shattered the screen it held the glass in place, it applied very well and was tough against scratches but did not detract from the screen.

I like the wet apply type and have never had any problems. But I was wondering if the physical button on the S3 might be an entry place for water?

Upvote 0
We've hd a droid x now for almost two years, no screen protector for the last 10 months and not a scratch on it. Gorilla glass is very scratch resistant, so unless you abuse your phone, a screen protector is a want, not a need in my opinion.

Some of us spend time outdoors whether it be for work or play... Get any kind of abrasive dust/sand on your fingers and it's going to scratch the screen.

Upvote 0
/sigh

Keys, coins... they can't scratch the screen. Check your hardness scale and where most metal comes in, and where Gorilla glass is. You will find that most every day objects you think are a risk, can't do a darn thing to it.

Now what you should worry about is sand, or silica. Found at beaches, and in dirt. It is easy to get a little dirt somewhere and scratch that screen.

This is why you see all these videos of people running keys and such on their phones, they know it won't hurt it at least in most cases. I tend to roll with a protector, if you get a good one it keeps the screen in good shape and it is easier to replace than the screen.

Your's is the post that everyone who thinks Gorilla Glass is impervious to scratches should read. This was a topic of discussion about 2 years ago when I got my Droid X. Pretty much the exact same posts but from different people. There were GG demo videos then too. And there were a couple of posts that pretty much said the same thing as yours (Eryl Flynn) does. A few people couldn't understand how their GG screen got scratched when it never came anywhere near their keys, a pen or whatever. Yeah, but what about the grain or two of sand that somehow worked it's way into your pocket? Oh well...

Of course plenty of people will get away with no screen protector and no scratches but I'll bet some of them won't admit it if they do end up getting scratches.

To anyone who thinks the GG is impervious to scratches, how hard is it to do a tiny amount of research with Google? It's EASY to find examples of where people scratched their glass and it's easy to find a post like the one quoted above by Eryl Flynn that explains why it happens. If you are now aware of the FACT that GG can and does get scratched and you still don't want to use a screen protector then that's certainly your right. Just understand that it can happen and makes your decision based on that.

For me and my wife and kids, the very first thing that happens when we unbox a new phone is the application of a screen protector. I do this before we do anything else so that we never have to think about it again or wonder how that scratch got there. It sure improves the resale value too.

Benny

Upvote 0

Sorry for confusing. I don't think it's actually discontinued. SGP officially still sell Ultra Crystal in Amazon, so I'm keeping it not exchanging Ultra Crystal to Ultra Nano Clear.

http://www.amazon.com/SPIGEN-SGP-St...TF8&qid=1340754053&sr=8-20&keywords=galaxy+s3

Upvote 0
I tried to put my Marin Fields protector on the day I got the phone; complete disaster.

It's cut *way* too precisely around the button and the earpiece, and, and previously mentioned by someone else, doesn't over the whole front, just the width of the screen and a couple mm in on the top and bottom.

The thing got filthy and I gave up, that was Saturday.

Last night determinedly went at it again. After a lot of patient usage of scotch tape, it's clean, and on, and I do feel good about it.

Might remove it again after a few weeks, but for now, glad it's on there.

Upvote 0
I for one will most likely run a Zagg on my S3. Yes it has some texture. Yes it dulls out the display a little. But it's also one of the most, if not the most durable screen protector on the market.

I had a full Zagg wrap on my BB and it took a dive off the roof of my car at about 60mph. The Zagg took some damage, but the phone was fine.

I work on a flightline in the desert and can't count how many times my phone has skidded across the asphalt or been dropped in the sand. I also desert race and have the phone in the race car in case we break down out of radio range.

So yes, I'm rough on my phones and appear to be on the other end of the spectrum from many users that work in an office environment where they can run without a screen protector or use a nice thin one.

My long winded point is that there are screen protectors for every environment and should be chosen accordingly.

Oh yeah, and there's a Zagg shop next to my Verizon store, so that makes the choice even easier.

Upvote 0
I bought a silicone gel case for my S3 and it came with a screen protector which I have applied. I bought a (used) S2 7 months ago and it came with a couple of scratches - it now has more.
Regarding what an earlier poster said about screen protectors making a "$600 phone look like $100 phone" if you don't use one your $600 phone may end up as a $100 phone sooner than you think.

Upvote 0
I tried to put my Marin Fields protector on the day I got the phone; complete disaster.

It's cut *way* too precisely around the button and the earpiece, and, and previously mentioned by someone else, doesn't over the whole front, just the width of the screen and a couple mm in on the top and bottom.

The thing got filthy and I gave up, that was Saturday.

Last night determinedly went at it again. After a lot of patient usage of scotch tape, it's clean, and on, and I do feel good about it.

Might remove it again after a few weeks, but for now, glad it's on there.

Hi,
I have put 2 Martin Fields protectors on now. I've had 2 phones as one had to go back due to stuck pixels on the screen. Both have gone on perfect. It's definitely a case of taking your time and lining it up. As you said, it's cut very precisely.
I don't like the fact it does not go to the edges, but the curve down prevents that and it would just peel.
My father has the zagg invisible shield on his S3. And it does go right to the edge due to being a wet apply. But I have to say I hate the thing. The screen is nowhere near as bright and clear as mine with the MF protector. And the zagg is so sticky when using the screen, just doesn't feel right to me. At least the MF still has a nice smooth almost glass like finish. And a quick wipe over with a cloth soon removes any fingerprints, not that you can see them that badly to start with.
Time will tell how the edges look though after long term use, if they become dirty or start to peel.
I was so tempted to go without a screen protector as I love the feel of the glass, but just can't bring myself to do it through fear of scratches appearing even though I'm ultra protective of my phones, giving them good re-sale value.
Cheers, Rich

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones