Screen Protector?Tips

1. droidfan1

droidfan1 Well-Known Member

Is it really needed? I've had a droid bionic since the day it came out. I use it extensively, drop it all the top, scratch the screen for kicks. I once dropped it from a bar, sitting up high. Right onto the screen! No scratches, not one.

Not one scratch is on my screen. I do not use a screen protector.

Is a screen protector really needed for the Galaxy Nexus? I hate screen protectors. They are impossible to get on, always get scratched, always have little bubbles, etc.

So do we really need one?

Edit: Wanted to make a poll but it glitched up on me.

Anyways, do you currently use one? Will you be using one on the Gnex?

Advertisement
    :
    GalaxyNexus likes this.
  2. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member

I've ordered one from XO Skins. It looks better than a Zagg as it doesn't have that "Orange peel" effect.

I carry my phone around in my pocket sometimes there's the odd screw or coin in there so I'd prefer one. I had a Zagg on my Desire for a year and when it finally came off, the screen was just like it'd come out of the factory.

Worth while I thought.
  3. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member

Big debate on this one, but I will be using a protector. All it takes is one grain of sand and a little force in your pocket to cause a scratch. All those key "tests" you see on youtube are total BS as metal can't scratch glass. You never see any of them take sandpaper though as quartz is harder than glass.
    s.m.knipe likes this.
  4. you2

you2 Well-Known Member

Chances are the screen will pick up a few scratches (my asus transformer has a nice one) over time; but I will not use a screen protector. Can't stand them.
  5. edge

edge Well-Known Member

I use xoskins as well. I follow their facebook and it looks like they are confirming the design right now so they should be shipping any day now. This is their video if you haven't seen it, very cool stuff.

XO Skins Screen Protectors - YouTube
    rlh445 likes this.
  6. edge

edge Well-Known Member

Thanks for the thanks
  7. s.m.knipe

s.m.knipe Well-Known Member

Exactly. Hardened steel has a hardness of ~ 6.5 on Moh's scale (Silica- glass- is a 7), and key metal is much softer than hardened steel.

That said however, metal can and will still mark glass (and oleophobic coatings on glass ;) ) briefly if a sufficiently sharp point with enough reinforcement and enough force can "hook" enough SiO2 molecules as it drags across- but it will degrade/fail/bend quickly. In fact, "dirt" (potentially silica dust) on the edge of the key is of more danger than the key itself. Most of the minor scratching we see is probably due to dust (airborne silica and other hard mineral particles) being caught on whatever surface the screen is being dragged across.

Also, get a protector, after a week and a half now mine is already scratched (not badly, just annoyingly).
  8. MAF66

MAF66 Member

I am paranoid about my screens, and I know I am also very clumsy. I always use screen protectors.
    I get mine from a ProtectionFilms24. They're German, but they're often dispatched very quickly to the UK. Never had any problems so far.