Screen protectors pros and cons?Tips

Last Updated:

1. Sturmdroid

Sturmdroid Member

I have a MAXX on preorder with wirefly. While I wait I am debating whether or not to use a screen protector on this phone. On all my previous smart phones I have had one, but never having dropped one or damaged a screen I am debating it usefulness. It dims the screen is hard to remove when you are done with the phone and considering resale.

I am looking for the communities view. What are your views on this item? The pros, cons please help me a little with your insight.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I always put one on. With my last phone, I had one on for at least a year, and the it started peeling and I pulled it off (it was a zagg.) I decided to just use the phone without and within a week I had a few small scratches on the display.

For now I have one of the vzw protectors on, until zagg starts selling them for the Maxx.
  3. Jersey Tom

Jersey Tom Well-Known Member

For a couple weeks when I first bought my Droid X, I used screen protectors. Didn't like the way it looked and felt, so did without.

Since then... over 3 phones in 4 years... never had so much as a single scratch on any screen, without using screen protectors.
  4. speede541

speede541 Well-Known Member

My last phone (Gnex) was the only phone I ever put in a case, with a built-in screen protector (Otterbox Defender). I did that for about 7 months. After my 2nd Otterbox literally fell apart at the seams, I chucked the case and went naked.

A year and two months later, the Gnex has some light scuffs around the edges, but the phone is basically in pristine shape, and the screen is as smooth as... glass! And this is riding around in jeans pockets (I tried to keep it separated from my keys), coat pockets, center console & cup holders, laying around the house for the kids to drool on, and -- for part of my work day -- in a lovely felt-lined Sedio spring clip holster.

So, yeah, I'm done with cases and screen protectors. I'd maybe reconsider if I dropped my phone much, but I'm fairly respectful of it, and really just enjoy it more in an unencumbered state.
  5. 18t

18t Well-Known Member

just hittin up all the forums today arent you?
  6. Sturmdroid

Sturmdroid Member

Well I hit the only two I know of, but it was a question that has been bugging me. I am leaning towards no screen protector this time around and wanted to see what other people's experience and thoughts were on this course.
  7. Sturmdroid

Sturmdroid Member

I have also been following with interest the debate on heat and wireless charging. I am on the fence with that one as well.
  8. Thom

Thom Guides Guide

I've never used a case.

I gave up on screen protectors when I got the Bionic on release day two years ago. I do not have a screen protector on the Maxx.

I do have the extended warranty. If my Maxx is run over by a truck it will be replaced for $100.

I work in an office and the phone is either on a table top or in a pocket containing nothing but the phone.

Friends in the trades have protective cases and screen protectors.

... Thom
  9. jalov

jalov Well-Known Member

Never have used a screen protector for any phone I've used. Droid 2, 3, 4, and now the Maxx. Dropped them plenty of times and scuffed back/sides of all of them, but never a problem with any of the screens. Isn't gorilla glass supposed to be, in theory, scratch proof? Seems overkill to put another covering on top of that.
  10. Sturmdroid

Sturmdroid Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I think no screen protector this time around. Wish me luck:)
  11. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

Sand/silica is the only thing that scratches gorilla glass... Just keep it out of the dirt and you'll be fine.
  12. Outatime

Outatime Well-Known Member Contributor

I have never used a screen protector or case. I only use the Seidio Spring clip Holster. My Inc, my GNex when I sold it and my Maxx are day one flawless. The screens I mean. Of course the shell has some dings and scuffs but the screens are great.
  13. Highland Ranger

Highland Ranger Well-Known Member

Go naked baby! Protector makes display harder to see and is not necessary for most people other than a mason maybe.