• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

screen protectors

I'd suggest this for the GEAR, seems like the perfect application for such:

Welcome to Liquid Glass Protection - Crystalusion

Using it on my GN3 instead of a screen protector.

I've got another packet of this,hadn't thought about using it on the GEAR until this thread popped-up.

A BTW w/this:

Do not use this AND a screen protector,on the GEAR or any phone,as doing so may result in a less than responsive touchscreen.

One or the other.Per a correspondence w/the mfg,this stuff (CRYSTALUSION) can last anywhere from 7-12 months before wearing off.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'd suggest this for the GEAR, seems like the perfect application for such:

Welcome to Liquid Glass Protection - Crystalusion

Using it on my GN3 instead of a screen protector.

I've got another packet of this,hadn't thought about using it on the GEAR until this thread popped-up.

A BTW w/this:

Do not use this AND a screen protector,on the GEAR or any phone,as doing so may result in a less than responsive touchscreen.

One or the other.Per a correspondence w/the mfg,this stuff (CRYSTALUSION) can last anywhere from 7-12 months before wearing off.

hmmmm never heard of it. does it really work against abrasions? all my watches usually ends up getting scratched somehow......i really do not want to mess up my gear.

curious, does anybody know if the gear uses gorilla glass?

Upvote 0
hmmmm never heard of it. does it really work against abrasions?

curious, does anybody know if the gear uses gorilla glass?

W/the GEAR,unprotected, I've banged it around quite a few times during the course of a work-day w/o any flaws.

As for the GN3,(protected w/CRYSTALUSION, it sees much less of an opportunity for such, as the GEAR & B/T headset I use reduce the amount of actual phone handling substantially.

My concern w/both isn't so much the physical abuse, but, protection from dirt/grit.
Supposedly, this is a touchscreens' biggest challenge & the CRYSTALUSION so far seems up to the task of providing adequate protection.

Upvote 0
W/the GEAR,unprotected, I've banged it around quite a few times during the course of a work-day w/o any flaws.

As for the GN3,(protected w/CRYSTALUSION, it sees much less of an opportunity for such, as the GEAR & B/T headset I use reduce the amount of actual phone handling substantially.

My concern w/both isn't so much the physical abuse, but, protection from dirt/grit.
Supposedly, this is a touchscreens' biggest challenge & the CRYSTALUSION so far seems up to the task of providing adequate protection.

yeah for me my concern i more physical then from dust and debris. not sure how or why, but all of my watches always end up getting scratched really bad so i really want to protect it.

weird that i could not find zagg shield for the gear on amazon.....their website has it but it won't get shipped until the 28th of nov!!!!

Upvote 0
I made my own. Had some extra skins laying about and cut one to size. Used the Gear's charging unit to measure it out. Place it on the skin, face down, use the watchface cutout on the charging unit to make your template. Cut it a bit in from the lines because its a tad too big for the display. Then cut it and apply. Works like a charm.

I also cut a piece for the underside metal bracket of the band, cutting out a hole for the two openings on the clasp.

Reactions: KOLIO and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I made my own. Had some extra skins laying about and cut one to size. Used the Gear's charging unit to measure it out. Place it on the skin, face down, use the watchface cutout on the charging unit to make your template. Cut it a bit in from the lines because its a tad too big for the display. Then cut it and apply. Works like a charm.

I also cut a piece for the underside metal bracket of the band, cutting out a hole for the two openings on the clasp.

welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm not much of a DIY'er like you......i just bit the bullet and bought a zagg invisibleshield for $9.99 and it will be shipped in a few weeks.

Upvote 0
welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm not much of a DIY'er like you......i just bit the bullet and bought a zag invisible sheild for $9.99 and it will be shipped in a few weeks.

Thank you very much. I lurk a lot, rarely post unless I have something I think is worthwhile to the masses. Thought my DIY screensaver would be helpful. just couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a tiny piece of screensaver I could make myself. I have enough older phone skins laying about that its a waste not to use them for something. Poof voila! Gear screensavers! ;-)

Reactions: KOLIO and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Too late for me, I already have a scratch on mine. :'(

Perhaps something like this:

CleanSeal Liquid Screen Cleaning and Protection - 50ml :: MobileFun.com

Or this:

Crystalusion Liquid Glass Screen Protection :: MobileFun.com

May minimize the appearance of the scratch & possibly prevent further marring of the screen.

Not trying to sell anything,just offering a much less expensive option to servicing/replacement of the screen,if you're looking @ the possibility.

Upvote 0
so far so good with my watch face, but i noticed a few scuffs on the band where the speaker is.

do you think the crystalusion would protect it further from scratching?

Ya might wanna try something,as you've already scuffed the opposing side,probably just a matter of time 'til the same happens on the face.

Another reason I'm suggesting to use something is I've just noticed a slight scratch on the glass,close to the upper r/h corner.Visible,but not to the annoying point.Could be w/others,as the same scratch on my phone,whether scaled to size or actual,would bother me much more than on a watchface.

I have another CRYSTALUSION that I'm gonna apply over the holiday weekend,& let it set.I should actually have an idea by Thanksgiving evening whether this stuff will hide this scratch.

Upvote 0
Ya might wanna try something,as you've already scuffed the opposing side,probably just a matter of time 'til the same happens on the face.

Another reason I'm suggesting to use something is I've just noticed a slight scratch on the glass,close to the upper r/h corner.Visible,but not to the annoying point.Could be w/others,as the same scratch on my phone,whether scaled to size or actual,would bother me much more than on a watchface.

I have another CRYSTALUSION that I'm gonna apply over the holiday weekend,& let it set.I should actually have an idea by Thanksgiving evening whether this stuff will hide this scratch.

yeah i ordered the zagg shield.......just have to hold out for a few weeks til it arrives..........i might look into the the liquid stuff and see if it will keep the speaker part from getting more scratched then it already is.

Upvote 0
yeah i ordered the zagg shield.......just have to hold out for a few weeks til it arrives..........i might look into the the liquid stuff and see if it will keep the speaker part from getting more scratched then it already is.

I applied the CRYSTALUSION on the GEAR tonight,will allow for it to set-up overnight & post a follow-up tomorrow evening................

Liquid Glass Protection | Liquid Glass Solution - Crystalusion
How it Works Liquid Glass Protection - Crystalusion
Benefits - Crystalusion
How to Apply - Crystalusion
FAQ's - Crystalusion
Contact us - Crystalusion

Upvote 0
After curing overnight & a day of use @ work,it appears the CRYSTALUSION is working to prevent smears/smudging/fingerprints.

As for how well it will protect against substantially more (grit/scratching),only time will tell.Shouldn't be too long before I report on the effectiveness.I don't abuse my watch,but,I don't coddle it either,just proceed throughout the day as I did pre-GEAR.

As for curing/hiding pre-existing scratching/etc...?
To a slight degree,it does.Not hiding,but,lessening the appearance of a scratch on the watchface.

As for on the clasp/mic?
No.
The scuffmarks are just as visible,but,hopefully a little better protected from future shock.Again,time (real soon) will tell.I use my watch,not keeping it in a cocoon/display case.I'd rather my GEAR take the abuse & spare my phone against such.

As for the clasp & mic,perhaps the proper cleaner/polish would better lessen/protect against scratching,will research this once the Thanksgiving Weekend is behind us.

Contacting SAMSUNG for recommendations on this & cost of a new watch face/glass purchase/replacement service.Looks simple enough,but,I'll do my homework before potntially opning a can ofworms inside a Pandora's Box.......

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones