• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Randomly Stops Working Galaxy S4

Adrianne23

Lurker
Oct 10, 2014
I am at a loss here and am hoping that someone has some advice!

I just bought my Samsung Galaxy S4 on Craigslist (I know, bad idea). It was working fine for a few weeks then it started acting up.

Texting: I will try to text and randomly "p" "L" and "backspace" will stop working. I will eventually just give up and start talk to text which will work fine. At other times, I will try to type and it will click a completely different letter. I will try to press "n" or "c" and it will try to type "w" or "f".

Home Screen: I will try to move around apps on my home screen and I will try and click/hold so that it will let me move the app around the screens and it will either open up the app (like it isnt recognizing that Im holding my finger there) or it will vibrate once and the "remove" or "create folder" menu will come up for a split second then it will go back to just the regular home screen like nothing happened. Other times it will start scrolling through the home screens but it'll get stuck in between two of them and just end up shaking and not responding. Then I have to press the home button and it'll respond again.

Phone Calls: I try to answer the call but it doesnt recognize that I am dragging my finger outside the green ring so I cant answer at all. Thankfully I found the "press home screen to answer" function.

I have tried to take out the battery, soft reset and factory reset with no help. I know it's not just me because my boyfriend can't get it to work either. The screen ISNT turning black or anything like that. It just doesnt seem to recognize touch all the time.

I'm at a loss here and I think that I might need to replace the screen but im not sure if that will actually help! Is anyone else having problems like this??

Sorry for the long post but I have crazy things happening!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones