Screen replacement seems to have broken proximity sensorGeneral

Last Updated:

1. aleitch

aleitch Member This Topic's Starter

I bought and installed a new screen (digitizer) in my Eris. The install went very well but now the proximity sensor doesn't seem to work properly. Most times when I place a call the screens goes blank and won't respond to any button inputs, Once the other party hangs up I get the screen back. But even this is erratic at times, not often, with the screen staying on all the time.

I installed Screebl Lite to force the screen on all the time and it works most of the time but seems to have a hard time figuring out the proximity sensor too.

Is there something I could have done to screw up the sensor when I took the phone apart? Everything else is working fine,

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. lennyjew

lennyjew Well-Known Member

Try pressing volume up and the send key at the same time. That seems to be the combo to bring my screen back up during calls.

3. CXXV

CXXV Well-Known Member

Make sure that the little hole in the upper left hand corner didn't get plugged up with something.

I also noticed that just some face goo over the hole makes the sensor act goofy.

4. aleitch

Is there actually a small hole in the screen? My replacement screen has no hole.

5. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Can you see the sensor in the upper left corner?

6. aleitch

No I dont see any sensor. When I installed the screen there was a cutout for the sensor but not a hole. It is solid black plastic under the cutout. I cleaned it really well to make sure there was no adhesive there.

Does the screen need ro be drilled or something?

7. Podivin

There isn't a true hole in the factory screen, so nope, don't drill that thing!
    There is merely a 'clearing' in the black portion of the screen where the sensor is, so that it can 'see' through the glass. Maybe things aren't quite aligned correctly under the screen??

8. aleitch

I'll take it apart again and check. I guess you mean that there should be a clear "window" over the sensor. Maybe it's just painted over?

9. Podivin

Yes, about a 1/8" diameter window, about 1/4 inch to the left of the earpiece.

10. aleitch

There are two "windows" to the left of the ear speaker. One has a little lens over it. I popped the lens off and there was adhesive all over the window. I cleaned it off real well but I still have the problem. There is another window that looks like it is lear but blue. I don't know what that's for. It looked clean.

I'm going to do a hard reset and see what happens. I have another phone now so this Eris isn't even activated but it does try to call customer service.

11. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

I took mine apart and replaced the digitizer as well (cracked screen from dropping it). I didn't clean mine at all... all of that foam adhesive crap... that would've take me forever to get off, so I just left it there. No problems at all with my proximity sensor (or anything, for that matter). The only problems I have are a few spots where the super glue leaked through the cracks on the front of the phone (anyone know how to remove this??) and a couple finger prints in the *inside* of my screen. I really don't want to take it all the way apart again just to wipe them off... maybe someday...