Screen ReplacementGeneral

Last Updated:

1. domnisignis18

domnisignis18 New Member This Topic's Starter

So I bought the Droid Eris two weeks ago, and of course dropped it, ithit the upper right corner and the glass cracked. I know that its really easy to get replacement glass for the iphone but I couldnt find any site online selling replacement screens for the Eris. Does anyone know of a company or site selling replacement screens for the Eris?

Advertisement
  2. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

+1

My girlfriend just dropped hers and it cracked, any info would be appreciated.

3. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member

can you all tell if the outside screen appears to be glass or plastic?

4. Graz

Graz Well-Known Member

Oh it's glass. For sure.

5. smittythepig

smittythepig Well-Known Member

very interesting. so many conflicting reports on whether or not the screen is glass or plastic. even from HTC. i asked them myself in order to get a third response but they haven't bothered to answer my inquiry. also, seems a lot of people are getting scratches on their screen very easily which made me think it was definitely plastic. but this is good. i was hoping it was glass. not all glass is made the same and some are more prone to getting scratched than others. and even the 'gorilla glass' on the droid can be scratched without a ton of effort considering a few of the posts i've seen.

unfortunately i don't have an answer to the original question. have you all contacted HTC?

6. rgar1

rgar1 Member

Try drcellphone.com

jhewit22 likes this.
  7. bagged00

bagged00 Well-Known Member

prolly be hard to find since its such a new phone. id file it under insurance. dont use it for a day or so tell them u lost it some how that way you dont have to send it in and then order a new one.

8. 40_LTDShooter

40_LTDShooter Active Member

I was wondering the same thing myself. I dropped my Droid when I first got it, and it was certainly glass as well. The very sharp pieces cut my fingers easily until I put a film of clear packing tape over it.

Now we know BOTH the Droid and the Eris has the same glass.

9. licotto

licotto New Member

I sent a note to drcellphone.com about my HTC Droid Eris to get a quote. They didn't have this phone listed, however, they did say to contact them to see. I will let y'all know what I get back from them.

I did take a quick look at the pricing for the Nexus One & it was listed as $150 screen replacement! Ouch...that could sting!

10. irishpride

irishpride Well-Known Member

jhewit22 likes this.
  11. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

Assuming you don't have insurance on your phone, you might want to take a trip to a Verizon store and tell them your predicament. Bring an old dumbphone with you, and tell them you'd like going back to your old dumbphone since the Eris screen is broken and you don't have insurance. Since they'll lose $30 a month if you do that, I think they might be willing to make you a deal on a replacement. If not, no biggie, just use the dumbphone until you figure out how to get new glass.

12. Droidedgirl

Droidedgirl New Member

Have you ever had to use Asurion Insurance for damaged phone?

13. JTosi09

JTosi09 New Member

I never liked them. You pay $10/month. When you need to replace a phone, you pay a $50 fee (on top of what you paid per month) and all they send you are rehabbed phones, not new ones. I don't like Asurion.

14. nickytoads

nickytoads New Member

15. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

That's the video I used for directions when I replaced my Eris screen. It was very helpful. The hardest part, for me, was getting the stupid glass separated from the frame. That sucked.

16. ShadowOxide

ShadowOxide New Member

Did anyone have trouble getting the digitizer to work after replacing it? My new one will not respond at all and I have 2 more days before I can return it. I've pulled it apart and checked all of the contacts/connections. I used a rubber based super glue and was careful not to cover any sensor points under the soft keys. Ideas would be awesome.... or let me buy you're old eris for cheap. : p

17. nickytoads

nickytoads New Member

ShadowOxide, from whom did you purchase the replacement?

18. ShadowOxide

ShadowOxide New Member

I purchased it on ebay from Gadgetfix. The same place/people I have seen/read many others purchase from. I don't think it's the digitizer itself. It's some other pieces in the front panel, not to mention me damaging the thing because I was short on time and in a bad mood... on top of that the damn super glue spread further than I thought and I'm certain it got between the soft buttons and the PCB beneath them where the OEM sealant avoids, not to mention the glue being all on the inside of the digitizer... No idea how.... Bad first time experience. Lesson learned. And now I have a useless entire front cover.... Anyone want to sell me there's? I just need the entire front panel from an Eris in good condition with a working digitizer... lol

But seriously, it was an OEM part and a nice piece at that. I did my research and have compared my old one to the new one and everything is the exact same. Was only $40 with free shipping. GadgetFix is in Cali so the shipping only took 3 days, instead of the 4 week shipping from Hong Kong offered by others selling the "same" thing. I was VERY leery of those ebay auctions.

19. Chris2183

Chris2183 Well-Known Member

You can try to find one locally on craigslist with a bad esn. They usually go much cheaper than ones that have a clean esn.

20. ShadowOxide

ShadowOxide New Member

Still trying, no luck yet. lol