1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Screen Responsiveness

1. iTyler

iTyler Active Member

Just watched this video about the screen responsiveness on the Desire vs the Samsung Galaxy S. These are the two phones I'm considering, so I just wanted people's opinions on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVlsRCMltDg&feature=player_embedded

Now, I understand that chances are I won't be moving my fingers across the screen like that in day-to-day use, but still...

So, my question/concern is, how responsive is the screen for the HTC Desire? Has anyone had any major issues with it? How well does it handle games/general use?

The only touchscreen device I've used as of yet is my iPod Touch (second generation), so that's all I've got to compare it with. Seeing as neither of these devices are in Canada yet, I can't really test them out for myself.

Thanks for any feedback ;)

Advertisement
  2. Jammy

Jammy Well-Known Member

I can reproduce that multitouch issue on my device, but so far, I haven't noticed it while actually using the phone.
    iTyler likes this.
  3. iTyler

iTyler Active Member

That's exactly what I was wondering. I don't plan on racing my fingers around the screen like that. The only time I could see using it in a similar fashion would be in games perhaps? Any experience in that matter?
  4. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

You will never notice any issue with the screen, unless you do this test.
  5. halcyondays

halcyondays Well-Known Member

I'd say the screen can sometimes be too responsive, but again your not going to have any problems in everyday use.seen alot of online reviews saying the same.
  6. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

the Desire screen is just as responsive as my old iPhone 3G and pretty much perfect to be honest. dont worry about the tests like that, you'll never notice in everyday use.
  7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

8. iTyler

iTyler Active Member

Thanks for the replies, folks. If the Desire is as good as the iPhone 3G's, then that's more then enough for me.

(L)
  9. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

+1

Having said that, I'd pick the Galaxy S simply for the bigger screen and better ability to play games
  10. iTyler

iTyler Active Member

I'm really debating between the two. There's pros and cons to both... I just can't decide :mad:

I'm sure I'll be happy with whichever one I get... but still... ;l
  11. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Ultimately, I'd say pick the one you think looks the sexiest. Internals aren't that much different, especially if you're not a real serious geek. If you were you wouldn't be asking :p
  12. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

For a start, the app used on the Desire in that video (and one I have used) the spots/bars snap to each other like a magnet, whereas the app on the samsung they don't. This to me shows an error in the programming of the app and not the screen itself and I would take that test with a pinch of salt. I've had no problems with my screen or its responsiveness.
  13. Burrid

Burrid Well-Known Member

My heart aches at reading all this multitouch problems on the desire.
    Can only register 2 points, and does it bad :(
    Going to open up new thread.
  14. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Most if not all others will disagree
  15. Burrid

Burrid Well-Known Member

With all I just meant those with the programs, sorry.
  16. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

I agree, but perhaps sensitive is a better description. Quite a few times I've selected things or moved/deleted apps while I've been holding the phone with the screen unlocked.
  17. JasonC

JasonC Well-Known Member

Yes the screen is sensitive and just takes some getting used to, its not like the older phones with none capacitive screens. I notice this a LOT when I go to use my Garmin Sat Nav and I literally have to push my fingers through the screen to make anything work!
  18. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

I'd agree that the screen on the desire is easily as responsive if not better than my ipod touch and leagues ahead of the resistive TouchHD screen. General usage now just requires a light touch rather than jamming my finger\stylus into the screen. And my ability to type accurately has more than doubled (quadrupled if you include swype ;) )
  19. g4rvd4

g4rvd4 Well-Known Member

This issue will never be felt in your daily use. Not even in games.
  20. mbatson89

mbatson89 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain, having owned a TouchHD too. What an abysmal piece of kit that was, managed to put up with it for two months before getting rid. The Desire on the other hand, 100x better. I find it responsive, accurate and maybe slightly oversensitive, would rather overly sensitive than vice versa though!
  21. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Too true. However the touch was infinately better than the LG Viewty I had (I used that for less than a week and sold it and went back to my trusty N95)
  22. mbatson89

mbatson89 Well-Known Member

*cringe* i've used one of those too, in the past...
  23. iTyler

iTyler Active Member

I am too a geek ;'(
    Just a very confused one...

& The desire looks 100x better imo. I'm not really a fan of the SGS's look. Reminds me to much of my iPod touch... just bored of it.

Anyways, thanks for all the responses guys...
    Judging by the sounds of it there aren't any issues at all with the Desire's responsiveness.

I've seen a couple side by side posts on games (such as Quake) and the SGS seems to run it a fair bit better. I'm not a big gamer on my phone, I like to stick to Tetris... and a few other games like that. I'd assume the Desire can run those no problem since my ancient iPod touch can?

Thanks for the helpp (L)
  24. sansenoy

sansenoy Member

First of all, the Desire uses an older Synaptics controller which is single touch only, pinch to zoom is somehow simulated, it doesn't have native multitouch suport. It is not as responsive, I'm afraid, but the point is moot.

The Desire is much better than the Samsung simply because of the interface. Sense UI is more than pretty widgets, there is much improvement below the surface which doesn't exist in stock android, and the samsung does feel pretty cheap software-wise, and is very ugly IMHO. There will be no real gaming on android for some time, so the gpu in SGS really doesn't mean much. Although it is necessary to note the horrible video camera and low storage space of the Desire...
  25. TheTrueSpin

TheTrueSpin Well-Known Member

Agree with this. There is no need for a good GPU at the moment as no apps really take advantage of it. In the future perhaps, but right now the Desire is still top of the Android phones, and the reviews show it.