• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Screen Rotation Mystery

wigwamclan

Lurker
Dec 27, 2012
Hello, I'll apologise before I start for my ignorance, so if I say anything dumb (this is very likely) please try to understand I'm a bit fik.......I've got a Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 uk o2 version that I rooted around 18 months ago without any issues.

Initially I did this to get rid of the bloatware to free up space but just after I'd done it I managed to get hold of a 64gb sd card which cured the space issue, however, a couple of weeks ago I started to get the 'you have limited available storage' popup so I cranked up Ti Backup, checked out the dummies guide for bloatware removal on here, and promptly started to delete everything I thought I didn't need.

Unfortunately I hadn't the facility to back-up the things I was dumping (check out the dumb-assness) but carried on regardless, thinking in my naivety that if anything went wrong I could just unroot, reboot with stock firmware and all would be well with the world, but no....

After deleting some 'stuff' I found the auto rotate had ceased to function so I did the re-boot but still no joy.

If anyone out there has the faintest idea of how I can get this thing to work again I'd be more than grateful.

As of now this is the current situation: AP : I9505XXUFNB9
CP : I9505XXUFNB9
CSC : I9505O2UFNA2

ta'

Tim (the dumb-ass)

Hello, I'll apologise before I start for my ignorance, so if I say anything dumb (this is very likely) please try to understand I'm a bit fik.......I've got a Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 uk o2 version that I rooted around 18 months ago without any issues.

Initially I did this to get rid of the bloatware to free up space but just after I'd done it I managed to get hold of a 64gb sd card which cured the space issue, however, a couple of weeks ago I started to get the 'you have limited available storage' popup so I cranked up Ti Backup, checked out the dummies guide for bloatware removal on here, and promptly started to delete everything I thought I didn't need.

Unfortunately I hadn't the facility to back-up the things I was dumping (check out the dumb-assness) but carried on regardless, thinking in my naivety that if anything went wrong I could just unroot, reboot with stock firmware and all would be well with the world, but no....

After deleting some 'stuff' I found the auto rotate had ceased to function so I did the re-boot but still no joy.

If anyone out there has the faintest idea of how I can get this thing to work again I'd be more than grateful.

As of now this is the current situation: AP : I9505XXUFNB9
CP : I9505XXUFNB9
CSC : I9505O2UFNA2

ta'

Tim (the dumb-ass)

Hello and welcome to Android Forums wigwamclan :)

You're not the first and I'm darned sure you won't be the last... to remove a system app that you need!

You will need to download to your POC the stock Samsung O2 firmware for your i9505...

Model GT-I9505
Model name GALAXY S4 LTE
Country United Kingdom (O2)
Version Android 4.4.2
Changelist 481100
Build date Fri, 14 Feb 2014 03:15:30 +0000
Product code O2U
PDA I9505XXUFNB9
CSC I9505O2UFNA2

Then you will need to flash it to your phone using the Odin PC suite and by carefully and thoroughly following the instructions and video in #1.5 of 29 Galaxy S4 models - know yours? This is a no wipe flash and your data should be safe, however, as with any flashing procedure I urge you to backup everything, as per #2.1 of S4 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide, (not just for Lollipop), just in case.

Grab a coffee and start reading... it's all there. ;)

Upvote 0
Hello and welcome to Android Forums wigwamclan :)

You're not the first and I'm darned sure you won't be the last... to remove a system app that you need!

You will need to download to your POC the stock Samsung O2 firmware for your i9505...

Model GT-I9505
Model name GALAXY S4 LTE
Country United Kingdom (O2)
Version Android 4.4.2
Changelist 481100
Build date Fri, 14 Feb 2014 03:15:30 +0000
Product code O2U
PDA I9505XXUFNB9
CSC I9505O2UFNA2

Then you will need to flash it to your phone using the Odin PC suite and by carefully and thoroughly following the instructions and video in #1.5 of 29 Galaxy S4 models - know yours? This is a no wipe flash and your data should be safe, however, as with any flashing procedure I urge you to backup everything, as per #2.1 of S4 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide, (not just for Lollipop), just in case.

Grab a coffee and start reading... it's all there. ;)

Well, that really was a manic Monday!!.....spent an age (plus half a jar of coffee) tryna find Odin9.03 but in the end I gave up and used the latest version I could find (I know what you're thinking :\) and your plan went like clockwork...took around 10 hours to get my head right an' 10 minutes to complete....s**t this is stressful when you're not doing it all the time....I find it really hard to just follow instructions without really understanding what it is I'm doing.....in the end I just thought sod it, I'll just trust the man,..and it turns out..YOU'RE THE MAN !! : ))

A really BIG thanks to you IRONASS for offering patient support for an obvious newb....

You're a credit to this forum THANKYOU

Upvote 0
Well, that really was a manic Monday!!.....spent an age (plus half a jar of coffee) tryna find Odin9.03 but in the end I gave up and used the latest version I could find (I know what you're thinking :\) and your plan went like clockwork...took around 10 hours to get my head right an' 10 minutes to complete....s**t this is stressful when you're not doing it all the time....I find it really hard to just follow instructions without really understanding what it is I'm doing.....in the end I just thought sod it, I'll just trust the man,..and it turns out..YOU'RE THE MAN !! : ))

A really BIG thanks to you IRONASS for offering patient support for an obvious newb....

You're a credit to this forum THANKYOU

Congratulations wigwamclan :)

I am glad it all worked out for you. As for obtaining a copy of the PC suite, Odin. All you had to do is click on the word Odin in my instructions and it takes you straight to the download site for all versions. See, below.

#1.5. Alternatively, if available for your phone model number, you can download a stock Samsung firmware of your choice and flash this via a PC suite called Odin.
If your current firmware is Knox enabled, Android 4.3 onwards, you cannot downgrade to 4.2.2 or from 4.4.2 to 4.3.
This is for competent users and could void your warranty by flashing any firmware other than that intended for your original CSC code, see #1.3 above, as well as preventing future updates through Kies or Over The Air, (OTA).

Reactions: wigwamclan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones