Screen scratchability?

Last Updated:

1. Chaznsc

Chaznsc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How scratchable is the Droid Xs screen? I just received my Dx and am paranoid about scratching it. I'm very protective of my gear so bear with me. Not a fan of screen protectors either.

Chaz

Advertisement
  2. BigBruDa3rd

BigBruDa3rd Well-Known Member

Had my X since july 26 and I only have a VZ silicone clear black case with no screen protector. My keyes have hit the screen but I dont have any scratches.

3. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

It is gorilla glass but that does nto mean that it is scratch proof.
    Mohs Scale of Hardness
    The one to look at there is quartz,that is what most sands are made from and is one of your biggest worries. And it is harder than most glass.

The way I look at it is that screen protectors are cheap. I use the SGP ultra clear.

4. jbhumph

jbhumph Well-Known Member

I have had phones with gorilla glass where I've used screen protectors and I've had them where I didn't. It can scratch.

I say spend the extra couple of bucks for the protection. Get a nice quality one so you will still enjoy the screen and not be annoyed by it.

Within one week of having my X, mine fell on the floor under the couch. My couch has recliners on both sides of it so it has extra metal pieces underneath. I got my X, set it on the couch, and it fell again (yes I'm smart) as I was placing the couch back down. The metal piece went straight onto the glass.

I freaked out, peeled off the screen protector....and there wasn't a single scratch. The screen protector was messed up a little but it did its job. One of those times where I was definitely glad I had it on there and immediately replaced it with another.

It can happen to you :p

5. lakai113

lakai113 Well-Known Member

i am really rough on phones so i quickly purchased a screen protector and soft rubber case..

seeing what i put my screen protectors through i wouldn't want to not have one

6. vintagewalrus

vintagewalrus Active Member

I'll second the SPGs. Just ordered two more packs (of 2) for my girl friend and myself. Good quality protector. Take your time putting it on. I go through one a month easy. Hers never take heavy damage but she bungled the install so....

7. Doubledee90

Doubledee90 Well-Known Member

I have had mine since launch day, had a screen protector, hated it, took it off after about 2 weeks and my Droid X has been naked since, and not a single scratch. I also had my original Droid without a screen protector and didnt have any scratches either. Just dont be dumb with it and keep it away from sand and you should be golden.

8. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

It is not gorilla glass and it will scratch, MINE DID. Get a Steinheil SGP.

9. Doubledee90

I believe it is Gorilla Glass, and yes it can scratch, but it is also very strong.

10. rjoudrey

Show me any document that says it's gorilla glass. Had a d1 for a year uncovered not one scratch, the dx scratched the first week.

11. Doubledee90

Motorola DROID X review Boy Genius Report

Here is a review of the Droid X from Boy Genius Report (a pretty reliable tech source) if you scroll down to display here is what is says.

Chaznsc and GrandMasterB like this.
  12. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

Thing about sand you can get some in a pocket very easly and throw your phone in said pocket and you have an accident waiting to happen. Trying to avoid sand is very hard.
    If you were using the ones from VZ I would agree they are junk and I hated them. I used them until my SGP came in and got rid of them. With the ultra clear you can not even tell you have a protector on.

13. Stealthman

Stealthman Well-Known Member

Simple, get a Steinhill Ultra Clear screen protector and once installed you won't even realize it's on there and neither will anyone else. People don't believe me when I say I have one on, you can't tell.

14. brackett5

brackett5 Well-Known Member

That's funny cause the same thing happened to me. Mine is the fold out bed and it slipped down the side. I have the invisible sheild, but I am definitely glad I had it on. Go with the screen protectors.

15. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

I use whatever Verizon had in stock for a screen protector. Works great and is more 'slick' for 'swyping'.
    Just wish it covered the whole screen.

16. Doubledee90

This is very true, and thats why I always take my pockets and turn them inside out and make sure NOTHING is in them. I just prefer my finger touching the glass over a screen protector. But thats just me :)

17. Madmax24

Madmax24 Member

The User Manual says the screen relies on the touch of flesh to perform its functions and not to use screen protectors. However, I have the screen protector that Verizon had available and it works just fine. It would NOT work with an old Palm stylus, but will work with a soft tip stylus I ordered from Komando-dot-com.

18. rjoudrey

Based on my experience it is no where as good as the D1 glass. I think somebody is pulling somebodies leg. :rolleyes:

19. rjoudrey

Has anyone seen a scratch test on the DX without a skin?

20. bbuck002

bbuck002 Well-Known Member

multiple sources confirmed that the Dx has gorilla glass before the phone was even launched.

21. sinbuddy

sinbuddy Member

Buy Invisishield from Best Buy. I took a key to the screen protector on another phone and it never made it through to the phone. My roommate and I pulled another piece over a pen and had to pull like crazy to get through. You pay 20 or 30 bucks for the protector (optional front and back) and Best Buy will install it for under 10 bucks.

22. Justintoxicated

Justintoxicated Well-Known Member

Just get the one from "best skinz ever" same material but much cheaper. Cut is very good, and it's very easy to apply. Had one on my Storm for 2 yearas and not a single scratch. The week I pulled it off, the screen was covered in scratches. Screen protector still looked new after a year (I replace them once a year anyways), because I use the full body skin.

http://www.bestskinsever.com/motorola-droid-x-skin

Thats allot of votes for SPG, protector. I have never heard of them. Anyone know how they compare to the best skins ever? I refuse to put verizon protectors on my phone. They suck.

23. 3Oclockslop

3Oclockslop Active Member

I go bareback and my phone deserves the same full sensation...we both take all other reasonable precautions to keep ourselves disease and scratch free....respectively! Lol

In the words of sargent Hulka.."Lighten up Frances"

24. xander66

xander66 Well-Known Member

I have one obvious mystery scratch that only shows in light with the display off so it doesn't really bother me, but if I were to do it again I'd buy the screen protector. Peace of mind is worth it.

25. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

My droid has been naked since day one. Has survived two drops on the concrete...one face down. Has had keys raked over the glass, been in my pocket with coins. I've dropped abrasive heavy objects on the screen.

Not a scratch. When you clean it with windex and look at it at just the right angle close up...the angle that would most show fine scratches, you can tell it's still perfect.

It has the Gorilla glass. Gorilla glass has a distinct slight unevenness that makes it look like it was sort of hewn out of a slab.