1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Support screen sensitivity problems

do you have the same sensitivty problem with the ultra's screen too?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2011.
  1. yes and it can be very annoying i want a update to fix it

19 vote(s)
    90.5%
  2. havnt really notice anything wrong with it

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. i dont really care it doesnt bother me at all

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. chevanlol360

chevanlol360 Well-Known Member

So hey guys I just got off the phone with a samsung rep and I was talking to him about how the screen can be so sensitive and annoying and he had transform ultra pretty close to him so he got and and I was telling him about how it difficult to move apps around the screen and he tried it too and it said yeah there a little bit of a problem with the senitiviy and he said that he would make a note of it and hopefully it will transfered to the upper samsung update center for then to realize and say " hey the screen has a little bit of a problem let's do a update to fix it" and I really do hope that they do a update soon to fix it but for the mean while here's a quick/temp fix for the problem when moving a app put 2 fingers on the screen and it actually worked and he did it too on the ultra that he had in his hand and he said he deff will be sending out a note to the update center he also said that 3rd party apps in the market could temp fix the problems too.
    HERE'S ONE
    Its called sgs touch screen booster when you download the app set everything to zero and exit the app and tell me if you don't see a big difference it actually workings try moving an app to test it out to see if it worked for you:D cuz it does for me thank good for google making the android OS open to 3rd partys app for doing stuff like this

Advertisement
  2. smith058

smith058 Guides Guide

Didn't work for me, was hoping that it would. Says its for samsung galaxy s. I can't scroll the whole menu.
    I hope they do release a fix for this. I keep finding more and more problems with this phone
    Still happy that I switched from the prevail except for the lack of devs
  3. imfm

imfm Well-Known Member

This issue has been really frustrating to me as well. You can see in the other thread on this topic that I've tried to pursue this as well. The response I got from the Samsung tech was nearly identical. He seemed very surprised, said it was the first he heard about it, said he would make sure whoever needed to know would know. He also told me to return the phone if I still could. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to. I've been getting the run around from Samsung ever since. I've sent emails and asked questions on the support site, but the response I keep getting is "we don't know if this ever going to be fixed." Judging from the apparent lack of support for the the SGS (a much more mainstream phone), I wouldn't hold my breath.

The problem isn't "sensitivity", the problem is that the phone doesn't properly detect when you've lifted your finger off the screen.

There is a program called touchutil that you can play with and see the problem. Go into settings and turn on "Show Touch Messages."

You can see that if you drag around the screen for a while, it starts to go nuts detecting up and down events over and over.

I think it has something to with the fact that the screen is capacitive, meaning that works (in this case doesn't work) through the electricity conducted through your fingers. With one finger, it doesn't work properly. You will notice, if you have two fingers on the screen, it works the way its supposed to.

I've tried dozens of tricks to try and fix this, but nothing has worked. I even tried downloading the source code to see if I could find anything in there to adjust to make this work better. I've had no luck, and I don't know enough about Linux or Android to figure it out anytime soon.

I'm hoping they've done something to fix this in the firmware for the Sprint version of the phone. We will see. It comes out for Sprint tomorrow I think, so let's hope we can get someone to post the firmware here for us.
    DMajor239 likes this.
  4. dryphtyr

dryphtyr New Member

Like many others, my ultra has the exact same problem. What a pain. I've never had an android before, but I can't help but tinker with anything I can. I installed Go Launcher last night, not because of the sensitivity, but just to be able to change more stuff on the phone. I have noticed, however, that I can hold an icon & drag it with no problem now. In case there are other factors involved, I also have Go Keyboard installed. I'm definitely no dev but I am computer savvy, so if anyone has any questions about any specific settings I've used, don't hesitate to ask. I'm not entirely sure what I did that fixed it, but I guess it's better to be lucky than good sometimes. I hope this helps.
  5. chevanlol360

6. frozndevl

frozndevl Member

I just bought my wife this phone and had the same issue to begin with. To remedy this, I just spent a minutes dragging my finger all around the screen and that seemed to "break in" the responsiveness.
  7. weirdfate

weirdfate Well-Known Member

download this app-->https://market.android.com/details?id=br.shop4apps.touchscreenbooster.com&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImJyLnNob3A0YXBwcy50b3VjaHNjcmVlbmJvb3N0ZXIuY29tIl0.
    in the app there is a setting down at the bottom that looks like a drop down menu(its cut off on my phone)

select that and choose super optimized

now click the menu key

select start services(for good measure i also went back in and chose to apply changes

not sure why but you need to do this every time the phone reboots?
    fulcrum and southernsontn like this.
  8. DirtyPeter

DirtyPeter New Member

weirdfate,

That app does nothing for my phone. Still has the same dang issue.
  9. smith058

smith058 Guides Guide

the SGS Touchscreen Booster, which is for Galixy S, did not help my phone either... if anything after i uninstalled it the phone seems worse... but then again who knows
  10. MrPeter1985

MrPeter1985 Well-Known Member

yes, putting everything to the lowest (everything to the left) works tons better. I am able to move apps around much easier. Thanks again for your findings.
  11. southernsontn

southernsontn Member

Worked great for me
  12. imfm

imfm Well-Known Member

RebeccaMI, smith058 and babelsquirrel like this.
  13. smith058

smith058 Guides Guide

Great video... you should email it to samsung, not that they will say "never heard of the issue"
  14. itchybig

itchybig Member

I just called Samsung. The agent he said that it was not a known issue, and it was the first he'd heard of it, which is the same thing that another user above was told a couple weeks ago. He also told me that software updates are usually handled by the carrier, and that I should contact them as well. He said that he logged the issue. I told him that it was commonly reported online, and has been mentioned in some reviews of the phone as well. Now I'm gonna report it to Boost/Sprint.
  15. chevanlol360

im pretty sure its possible to change the screen sensitivity with root access when i root my phone i'll go around looking for the screen written section of the firmwire and see if i can change it cause i mean really what are the odds of samsung actually pushing out an updated to fix it? since the prevail is on android 2.3.5 we will evenutally get an update to 2.3.5 too, because as of now the ultra is running 2.3.4 we probbly wont get it for like another 2-4 months but we'll most likely see then if they fixed the issue with the screen or not.

and BTW if your wondering what changes on android 2.3.5 is that the NFC chip will be activated and some bug fixes for voice search.
  16. smith058

smith058 Guides Guide

It's not a screen sensitivity problem, hopefully it's an error in the firmware script or something, but please do look into it as much as you possibly can.
  17. fulcrum

fulcrum Member

The app that weirdfate gave a link to, helped my phone out very much. It is still not perfect, but a vast improvement. I give it a 4 out of 5 stars. Also it still seems to work even after I completely power off the phone and turn it back on.

Fulcrum
  18. Puppet MasteR

Puppet MasteR Member

Any updates on this issue? I have Downloaded 'Draw Something' and I am having issues drawing (I am a bad artist this I know) sometimes when I try to draw a straight line or a circle it is dotted instead of a solid line.
  19. william99m

william99m New Member

i am also curious. its pretty annoying when using the unified remote app and swype.
  20. BLuFeNiX

BLuFeNiX Well-Known Member

william99m likes this.
  21. william99m

william99m New Member

thanks! its working a lot better.
  22. qandres12

qandres12 Well-Known Member

is this update still available, ive yet to check on my mothers phone
  23. mydian

mydian Well-Known Member

Some people still get the update notification, others on 2.3.4 don't. If the phone is rooted, you can just use CWM to install one of the 2.3.6 roms. Loota's Bear Essentials or Ultra Rom. If you want to stick with 2.3.4, you can install Bobzhome's overclocking kernel, it contains the touch screen fix. I'm using the latter of the two and haven't had the update notification in over a month.