Screen Shot for Samsung Captivate on Froyo?

Last Updated:

1. white1981

white1981 Member

Hi all.. new here to the forums. Would like to start with a question introduction.

So, yesterday I installed the official at&t release of froyo onto my captivate and everything went smoothly.. cutting to the chase.. I believe I saw someone post that you can take screen shots now on the captivate with froyo.. is there any truth to this and if so... how do I go about performing a screenshot?

Much appreciated..

PS... Speedtest downloads on new Froyo Release show a 15.2 mbps dwnld
    1.2 up and a very good ping.. I can definetly say the captivate is quicker with the froyo install

Not bad considering my computer downloads at 16 meg :D

Advertisement
  2. LukeOlson

LukeOlson Well-Known Member

I don't think anything changed with Froyo regarding taking screenshots. In any case, here is more information on how to do it:

Taking screenshots - CapFAQ
    sremick likes this.
  3. NJR

NJR Well-Known Member

Since I got 2.2, I accidentally took some screenshots. I have tried to duplicate it. When I researched, there was some chatter about holding the back key and then pressing the home key. It didn't work for me so I have no idea how to make it happen again but it may be worth a try for you
  4. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

I rooted and installed ShootMe. That took all of 5 minutes.
  5. Buddha64

Buddha64 Well-Known Member

I'll bite then...

What is "com.sec.android.app.screencapture" on my phone for?
  6. gcobb

gcobb Well-Known Member

That's probably the com name rather than the description.
  7. Buddha64

OK.. um... OK, sure.

Um... Huh?
  8. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

There's a service built into 2.2 for taking screenshots... however getting the right button combo to work doesn't seem to have much success on the Captivate. Supposed to involve the back and power buttons.
    Simba501 likes this.
  9. LukeOlson

Where do you see that?
  10. Buddha64

Settings -> Applications -> Manage applications. Toggle the "All" button. Slide on down (go into landscape for easier viewing) to "com.xxxxx."

Its right below com.sec.android.app.samsunapps.una.
  11. avgazn91

avgazn91 Well-Known Member

subscribed to find out if anything happens with this.

I tried the back button and home button combo with no success
    same for the back button and power button combo
  12. JayFReaZy

JayFReaZy Active Member

just use superoneclick root and install shootme app, just did it today and wow, extremely simple and fast to do.
  13. DaNaRkI

DaNaRkI Well-Known Member

I'm also wondering about the "com.sec.android.app.screencapture" cuz I've seen it listed as a running or inactive app/process on my phone more often then not.
  14. Rootmepls

Rootmepls Well-Known Member

+1 Shootme
  15. BigCat8

BigCat8 Well-Known Member

Extremely interesting stuff.

Are you using the TouchWiz launcher? Any secondary home programs installed and running (including QuickDesk or the helper app for WidgetLocker)?

I guess if you were able to do so accidentally, doing so on purpose is a relative possibility. Hopefully we figure out what the secret is here. (UUDDLRLRBAStart?)

Now that we know the process is there, could an app developer build on that?

EDIT: Actually... I just tested this out, and it works on stock 2.2. Features a "Capture from Notification" option. Donate version includes shake to capture. http://www.appbrain.com/app/screen-...omorrowkey.android.screencaptureshortcutfree#

Can't pretend I'm not a little wary of the permissions required. It would seem they're for the ads, though, as the donate version doesn't require those permissions.
    MickeyCee likes this.
  16. NJR

NJR Well-Known Member

@BigCat TW launcher everything stock. 2.2. Can't duplicate it no matter what I try I am holding buttons tapping buttons pressing power. Pretty much being a fool with this thing. :) It worked the day after upgrade on it's own and hasn't worked since.
  17. LukeOlson

18. jetpuck73

jetpuck73 Well-Known Member

Shootme
  19. BigCat8

Did anyone take note of the app I linked to? It's legit. Used it to snag the screenshots for the home screen thread, saves in the "ScreenCapture" folder as though you triggered with the button combination. Figure it's better than tapping buttons like a madman, trying to find just the right mix.

I'm not likely to root until well down the line, so ShootMe isn't an option for now. Screen Capture Shortcut is legit if you're not looking to root. The first app I've been really excited about in a long time, even though all it really does is unlock a native feature.
  20. fastoy

fastoy Member

That's a great app! It simply does what it says it does. For now I'm using the free version. I'm not sure I want the "capture on shake" feature but it's certainly worth the $1.20 to support the developer.
  21. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

I would like to see if anyone comes up with the way to make the com.sec.android.app.screencapture work.

I know if im looking at my running services, then hold back and tap home, com.sec.android.app.screencapture will become a running service, but still cant snap any screenshots. I can stop that service and start it all day long. I just dont know how to trigger it.
  22. poocano78

poocano78 Member

Works perfect. Thanks :D
  23. Buddha64

"this device is not supported."

Uninstalled.
  24. BigCat8

Hm. That's interesting. I'm trying to figure out why it would work for certain Captivate users and not others. But I'm not an app developer, so I can't even really begin to make an educated guess.

Sorry to hear that.
  25. Buddha64

"unsupported" seems to be a common theme in the comments at AppBrain. No worries.