Screen stays black when I pull the phone away from my ear

Last Updated:

1. Droidn00b

Droidn00b Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Are any of you having trouble with this? The sensor doesn't seem to be working the way it should. I have a problem accessing the keyboard during calls to automated services and sometimes the screen won't stay lit long enough for me to end my calls.

Aside from that, my Droid keeps freezing up today. I haven't had any trouble with that before. I've got a week to go before I pass my 30 day trial. I'm not sure what to do. This phone has to be mailed in as I got it online. If there's a way to fix these problems, I'd rather not send it in and wait 3 weeks to receive a new one.

Advertisement
  2. JSchu22

JSchu22 Well-Known Member Contributor

I had that issue of the screen staying dark at the end of phone calls with my first one. I'm not sure if the new one exhibits that because I don't actually use it as a phone anymore. I know I wasn't much help, but at least you know you aren't alone.

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I'd probably replace it. I've had that happen once or twice, but since the 2.0.1 update the proximity sensor has worked just about flawlessly. Maybe backup your apps and try a factory reset first, though, because there's always the chance that it could be some obscure app conflict causing the problem if you didn't have it before.

4. JSchu22

JSchu22 Well-Known Member Contributor

I agree, especially since I'll bet it will be next to impossible to replicate the problem in front of a Verizon rep. Murphy's law is a b*tch.

5. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't have this problem. Call or go to a verizon store and swap it out.

6. Droidn00b

Thanks for the advice. I'll do a factory reset. I can't take the phone back to Verizon. They won't help me with anything. I've been told that I'm the only who's complained about the Droid at the local store. Everyone I've talked to tells me something different. A manager wasn't gonna let me exchange a phone I have on a second account and it hadn't been 30 days. He said the store gets a bad rep if they have too many returns and Verizon loses money on exchanges. A lady told me to drive 40 miles to another store to make the exchange because it was open late. I was already IN THEIR STORE BEFORE THEY CLOSED. I refused to come back the next day, as one of them suggested. It's not my fault they closed their work stations early. I'm at the end of my rope.

7. sillyrabbitt123

sillyrabbitt123 Well-Known Member

Press the volume rocker button that should bring it back from the black

8. Droidn00b

Thank you. I did a factory reset. I'll keep your suggestion in mind. :)

9. Optimus

You know what...the ran you the riot act. I'm kinda shocked really...I have never experienced push back from reps on a clearly defective unit. I'm shocked they even complained about their reputation..that is not the customers concern. Well..all stores r different...I suggest contacting the 800 nnumber or do a rwturn with mototola. You already know what's wrong u should not have been challenged like that.

They were right about letting a tech look at it first. Once they look at it and verify the defect the exchange occurs. Too bad u didn't get to see them at the 2nd store.

10. Droidn00b

Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. That happened when I went to exchange the HTC Eris. I called to report the incident because that wasn't the first time someone said something to me about making sure I really wanted a phone so they wouldn't get in trouble. I never thought about contacting Motorola about my issues. I got this phone from Wirefly.com. My luck, I'll send the phone back to them and never get another one, much less a refund. They claimed the phones on their site were new but I found strange pictures on the SD card.

11. Optimus

Motorola is a good bet due to manufacturers warranty.

12. Droidn00b

I just went to the Motorola website. After entering the serial number, my phone was approved for repair. I requested the repair using the same serial/hex/dec numbers and got an error. Then I was instructed to call customer service. Well, the automated service suggested I call my wireless carrier. Great! I'll call back in the morning.